iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Michigan Forest Tax

Started by Mrs._Stump_Jumper, April 29, 2007, 01:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs._Stump_Jumper

This was in our local paper if you live in Michigan you can get a tax break.  Here is a copy of the article. It is a little blurry but it is the best that I can do.  I scanned it from the newspaper.  Hope it will help someone out.

Delcy - Morley, MI
'07 F350 Dually, Diesel, Flatbed
3 Lovely Children Jonathon, Monica, and (Jeff)
2 Brittany Spaniels:  Buddy and Pumpkin Pie

SwampDonkey

What kind of tax $$-wise do you folks have to pay on forest land? It's peanuts here. The monthly phone bill costs more than twice as much. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Riles

In North Carolina, you need 20 acres in timber, an approved plan, and you have to either live on the property or own it for 4 years before you can get the tax break. Once approved, you get the same tax rate, but the property value is appraised at $500 an acre. Once I get the paperwork done, my property tax drops from around $1700 a year to $165. They get the tax money back when you cut the timber.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Don_Papenburg

New tax on timber in Illinois , They plan to taxit as if it had a house on it.The reasoning from the wise ones is that you might /could someday build/develop the property and they want to be sure to have taxed you in advance at the improved property rate.   
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ron Wenrich

Dan

That will lead to a wholesale removal of timber to avoid taxes.  Bad plan.  How are they going to appraise the timber value?

In Pennsylvania, if you want a tax break, just apply for clean and green.  That just says you won't develop it.  If you do, pay back taxes and penalty.  We have no taxes on timber other than an ordinary flat income tax. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Don_Papenburg

Well Illinois gov'ner and law makers have not been known for thinking before acting.
That was my thought when I heard of the foolishness. A lot of guys have the timber for hunting . alot more because they inhereted it and just want too keep it cause it was grandads.  Well when the tax bill arrives the saws will start. Makes it tough keeping maple trees for syrup.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Paschale

Thanks for posting this, Delcy.  I'm going to do some more research on this, and I think this is the incentive we need to pull the trigger on getting a plan up and running for our woodlot.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Frickman

That tax in Illinois is similar to one they've been talking about around here for a few years. They want to tax a property at it's highest and best use, not what it currently is. If you have a one hundred acre farm and timber property out by the highway, and they think it would be a great place for a shopping mall, they want to tax you like there is a shopping mall there now. In other words, the powers to be can just make up the tax at random. I've never seen this done, but I know the politicians have been talking about it.

The clean and green program Ron mentioned is pretty good. Noone tells you what to do, just keep it as open space. You do have to give the public access for recreation, hunting, bird watching, etc., but you still can retain some reasonable control over that.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

junkyard

In NY each parcel has a theoretical building lot on it that is taxed as if it actualy was a building lot  . A building is taxed seperate. In our township swamp is assessed at $200 per acre unless you are able to prove some kind of agricultural use then assessment drops to $30 per acre. Woods are at $300 unless it is agg. connected.
                             Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.

Paschale

Quote from: junkyard on May 03, 2007, 09:45:45 AM
In NY each parcel has a theoretical building lot on it that is taxed as if it actualy was a building lot  . A building is taxed seperate. In our township swamp is assessed at $200 per acre unless you are able to prove some kind of agricultural use then assessment drops to $30 per acre. Woods are at $300 unless it is agg. connected.
                             Junkyard

Wow...that's just crazy.  My dad's land would be $12,000 a year, just sitting there up in the U.P. with nothing on it.  I couldn't keep that land if it was mine, if it was taxed at that level.

I think there's something criminal about property taxes.  When people have to sell land that's been in their family for generations, because they can't pay the TAXES, something's gotta change.   >:(
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

SwampDonkey

A lot of woodlots get liquidated here to pay for older family members in the 'Old Folks Home', or when heirship when the old timer didn't tend to his business before he passed on. Woodlot taxes here on my 70 acres is less than $30. We are taxed for income gained from harvesting wood.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

In my town in NY a one acre building lot is assessed at 21,000$. No wonder people are selling off all the open land , they can't afford the taxes.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but what is the actual levy on the assessment? I pay an LSD rate of 0.2287% and Provincial tax of 1.5% on the assessed value, plus 0.02% (nickel and dime tax) for the assessment paperwork. The woodlot is assessed at $1600. Add that all up and it's $27.98 (total levy).

Thank You Sponsors!