iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

end sealer??? have heard about latex paint????

Started by bikedude73, April 02, 2010, 12:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bikedude73

I have seen uc end coats and also heard about latex paint was just wanting to know what are the thoughts on this.  I have been sawing and not on here much.  I need to post pics just not been on computer much.  Will post pics at some point.  Thanks for your help

brdmkr

I have used both, but I think the endsealer works better.  I don't saw that much, but I have likely used less than 2 gallons in about 4 years.  It goes a long way for me. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

sigidi

I have a drum of 'end grain sealer' only used it a very few times, I like to keep my logs as long as I can and then dock the cut timber once it gets peeled off the log, this way any end splits are normally docked out.
Always willing to help - Allan

backwoods sawyer

I have milled logs that have had latex paint on them and have not been impressed with the results. You can waist your money on end sealer if it not applied at the right time as well. In my opinion, you should apply the end sealer as soon as you put down the saw that made the cut, and put a second coat on after that coat has set up a bit. This will give the log the best opportunity to not crack and check. If the log is in the deck over about six months then applying another coat should be considered as well. For bowl blanks, I lay out the whole batch and spray the sealer on all sides. I do not apply end sealer to all logs just the best logs, trimming a low grade log is better then using end seal, but you don't want to be trimming a foot or two off a high quality log either.   
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Ianab

Latex paint, much better than nothing, but not as good as a proper wax based end sealer.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I've seen folks use latex "primer" instead of paint.  Seems to bond with the sap and wet wood better.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bzsawyer

We use Anchor Seal brand end coating with tremendous success. Our lumber is end trimed as we saw it, and the higher grade is either solid packed or stickered and the sooner it can be applied the better the results. I prefer the clear just for the fact there isn't a rainbow of colors everywhere from the overspray, though I have used colored to identify certian lumber such as custom jobs from my own. I try to get it on within 24 hours of trimming and use a hand pump sprayer for application and sometimes brush it on thick pieces such as mantles. It prevents any end checking which eliminates degrade or yield loss. It is well worth the money and I wouldn't kiln dry lumber without it. Just remember it prevents checking, it doesn't fix cracks and..............paint is for walls!
Frick Timber Tiger TD36, 4 headblock, 56' of track. 56'' F style saw with 30'' top saw gives me 30'' of cut. Sawmill Systems setworks. Frick chain type log turner. Frick 641 3 saw edger, HMC ET10 trim saw, Morbark 48'' 3 knife chipper plus all the support equipment

Brucer

Water travels more quickly lengthwise in a log, so it evaporates faster out the ends. This causes the wood at the ends to shrink faster than the rest of the log, hence the checking. End sealer prevents evaporation out the end of the log. This lets the entire log (or timber) shrink at a uniform rate.

Latex paint "breathes" allowing water vapour to escape. It doesn't seal the log at all.

Two or three layers of enamel paint will seal the log. Unfortunately it doesn't stick to green wood very well.

End-sealers were specifically formulated to stick to green wood and prevent evaporation. Bottom line -- if you want to seal the ends of a piece of wood, use end-sealer.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!