iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Choice of WM LT15GO or LumberLite ML26 - small log dog-n-roll from Norwood?

Started by LoomBuilder, October 22, 2012, 09:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoomBuilder

I'm new to the forum and have been gathering as much info as possible as I shop for a bandsaw mill.  The topic of "this machine or that?" comes up all the time and I've read quite a few of the threads so I'm (hopefully!) not going to repeat what's already been covered in detail in the past.  My question is really rather focused on a couple of details and here it is...

I have the opportunity to purchase EITHER

1. a low-hour WM LT15GO (full trailer) with the base engine, the ramps and winch, a wedge taper adjuster/toe board, a cover for the saw head, and some extra bands (ready to tow away and saw)

OR

2. a brand-new LumberLite ML26 with the 13 HP Honda, the trailer package incl. ramps and winch, roller toe boards, a cover, extra bands, AND the small log dogging and rolling kit (assembly required)

for almost exactly the same price. 

Does anyone on the forum have the small log rolling and dogging kit from Norwood and is it really useful?  Most of the logs available to me are in the 10 - 24" range and I'm wondering if the Norwood package makes any difference sawing the smaller logs in this range.  I searched the forum and couldn't find any specific feedback on this feature so any info you can provide would be great.  As for the rest of the differences between these two mills, I think the roller toe boards on the Norwood are a better solution than the wedge on the WM but other than that it appears to be a "pick 'em" situation as both mills are well regarded and both companies give excellent support.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has the small log kit on a LumberLite or Lumbermate (I believe the kit is the same on both models) and I wouldn't mind some input on the decision between these two mills, even though it's been covered before.  A purchase of this type is a big decision and I'd really like to make the right choice.

Thanks!

Larry

A little about me - I'm a professional woodworker with a small plot of land and I'd like to be able to make use of my mixed hardwoods (mainly cherry with maple and oak) plus some of the timber from my in-law's farm to provide materials for my business.  A manual mill is a suitable choice for now as my budget won't allow a hydraulic mill.  I also have an Alaskan and Stihl 066 but it's just too back-breaking for me.
Granberg Alaskan with Stihl 066 power, looking for bandsaw mill

hamish

I pondered the small log rolling and dogging clamps for a good while, then drove to a saw expo in Bancroft, after calling Norwood to ensure they would have a set there, which they did.  I went to the show intent on ordering a set but after using them and manipulating them with my own hands, defiantely wouldn't prove to be usefull with my operation.  However if I was doing plantation trees, alot of smaller diameter fir etc............I do think they would pay off dividends in production.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Chuck White

I'd just suggest you watch both mills in operation, or better yet get the chance to run them yourself!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Leigh Family Farm

If the WM saw is close to you, definitely go try it out. If its a little too far, I would call Marty Parsons (WM PA) and see about trying out the LT15GO at the WM Open House on November 3rd. Its in Shade Gap, PA out by Chambersburg. I know I will be going to try out some of the WM models. As for Norwood, call them up and see if they have any owners nearby that have the small log attachment.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

LoomBuilder

Thanks to those who responded for your thoughts on this.  I had an opportunity to check out the WM LT10, LT15, and LT35 along with both Norwoods at a recent show here in PA.  The LT35 would be the clear choice if money were no object but my budget just isn't that large.  I've ruled out the LT10 as being too limited and not portable enough for me even though it's a great value that will be even more attractive when it goes on sale next month. 

That leaves the LT15 and the two Norwoods open for consideration.  I checked them out in detail but the Norwoods did NOT have the small log package.  Maybe it's not an important option but Norwood is throwing it in as a "sweetener" on a deal along with a box of blades so I was wondering if it was useful enough to tip the balance in their favor.  As I see it the LT15GO is a great mill backed by a great company and would be a solid choice.  But so are the Norwoods with the LumberLite fitting into my budget while the LumberMate Pro may be too far over to stretch to buy.  At this point it doesn't seem that the small log package from Norwood makes enough of a difference but I'll wait a little longer and see if any other opinions come in.

Thanks again for the input.  I really appreciate it!

Larry
Granberg Alaskan with Stihl 066 power, looking for bandsaw mill

moandrich

Have you tried locating a used lt30. Manual mills generally have low hours and these mills have power feed and up down. Most where sold with log kit  don't be afraid even if it is very old. Ours is over 15 years old. Cut a piece 16 feet long' 16" wide and less than an 1/8 of an inch thick. Should be able to find one for less than $8,000 and less than 1,000 hours which is nothing on that mill 
woodmizer lt 40HD  2007
Kubota RTVX1100 2019
Kubota L3940   2009

hamish

What type of trees do you plan on milling?

The rolling and doggisn system is designed primarily for the east coast and global markets that have symetrical trees where the diameter inside the bark of both end of the log are very close, thus not warranting raising the small end/leveling the heart of the log.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

Thank You Sponsors!