iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Frontier OS31 Mill - Off to a Bad start

Started by marcnaz, March 22, 2019, 06:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marcnaz

Received my OS31 mill after patiently awaiting shipping across the US.

1st impression, very well packaged in a welded steel frame crate with thin wood sides, top and bottom. It would be hard to damage the contents as long as the crate is intact and not damaged.

A brief  glance at what I have and I noted that the stainless bunk caps aren't there... not sure what else is missing because I don't have a parts list, instructions or a manual. If anyone with a OS27 or OS31 has a copy of the parts list (if there is one) or any instructions at all. I'd sure appreciate some help. I was hoping to at least get started on assembly this weekend.
USAF Retired

KenMac

I think that the more you want something and anxiously await it's arrival the more probable there will be serious issues with the order. At least, that's my experience. I'm sure it will all be made good for you.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

btulloh

Have you checked to if those docs are available on their website?
HM126

marcnaz

Quote from: btulloh on March 22, 2019, 08:10:46 PM
Have you checked to if those docs are available on their website?
They have no manuals or instructions for any of their mills online. Not even for the other/older Norwood models. 

Quote from: KenMac on March 22, 2019, 08:08:03 PM
I think that the more you want something and anxiously await it's arrival the more probable there will be serious issues with the order. At least, that's my experience. I'm sure it will all be made good for you.

You're right. I was pretty excited about getting it. First the shipment was lost and went to the wrong shipping depot (Las Vegas of all places) and then was found and redirected to me... now this. That'll teach me.
USAF Retired

thecfarm

Maybe off to a bad start,but I betcha it will have a great finish. Yes,easy for me to say,I did not spend money and than when I get it,it's not up to par. :(  I would feel the same way. Not sleeping good and all. Wait for Moday and all will be good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delta66

Jeff

This is the second time today I have had to address this issue. For you new guys, thie forum does not exist so you can come on and gripe about a manufacturer. If you have a problem and seek help, then ask, but dont use it for an excuse to bash or you will be bashed. UNDERSTAND?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

marcnaz

Quote from: Jeff on March 22, 2019, 10:56:32 PM
This is the second time today I have had to address this issue. For you new guys, thie forum does not exist so you can come on and gripe about a manufacturer. If you have a problem and seek help, then ask, but dont use it for an excuse to bash or you will be bashed. UNDERSTAND?
Got it. Overall the parts and quality of construction is extremely heavy duty and I expect it to be a quality machine once assembled. I see no issues quality wise. A huge thanks to Delta66 who helped me with some assembly instructions to get started and eliminate some frustration.
USAF Retired

marcnaz

As a followup, I was emailed by a number of folks from Norwood and provided a digital copy of the Manual on a Saturday. Here's the shipping crate. Shipping paperwork said 1050 lbs.

Since Friday I was contacted by email from a number of Folks at Norwood to assist with any issues I had. Also received a call Monday morning ensuring me any missing parts would be shipped, and I received credit for purchasing any required fasteners locally instead of waiting and delaying assembly. Overall excellent followup/after sales support.

Assembly of the track/rails was fairly straightforward. No real issues. The rail joining plates were different than those in the instructions and required specific orientation to allow clearance for other rail parts. Fit and finish were good and all parts aligned and fit well. It's my first mill, but I've assembled quite a bit of other machinery and was pleased at the heavy duty and solid design and parts.

Carriage assembly was also fairly easy and I had no issues. Still need to get a few nuts and bolts locally, then mount the handle, throttle and lube tank/system. Then just install and tension the blade, battery, engine oil, gas and should be
ready to cut.

Don't know the exact weight of the carriage assembly, but you definitely need at least 2-3 people to get the carriage onto the rails. Luckily I have a tractor with pallet forks and the carriage has hoist attachments locations on the top.  
USAF Retired

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Frontier_Paul

When I ordered my OS27 they emailed me a PDF of the manual to have, as one did come with the unit to. I have had mine for 1.5 yrs now and have only had a few issues mostly learning curves on my part. I would try to cover the mill with a shed if you can my track bolts started to rust, and like to keep things for as long as I can.

marcnaz

Quote from: Frontier_Paul on March 27, 2019, 12:01:22 PM
When I ordered my OS27 they emailed me a PDF of the manual to have, as one did come with the unit to. I have had mine for 1.5 yrs now and have only had a few issues mostly learning curves on my part. I would try to cover the mill with a shed if you can my track bolts started to rust, and like to keep things for as long as I can.
I plan on extending a lean-to/roof that will at least cover the carriage end. I also have a nylon ATV cover that should fit the carriage pretty well. I'd like to have at least an awning over the entire length, but not sure when or if that will be option. I know there are things you can spray/coat metal parts that help, so I'll need to look into that. WD40 even makes long term corrosion prevention spray (they say 1 yr outdoors) but I haven't had any first hand experience with it's effectiveness. Being in Arizona helps some, as we don't have high humidity or huge amounts of rain, but of course a thunderstorm here is just as wet as anywhere else!
USAF Retired

KayakKen

Hello, new here and new to owning a mill...just received my Frontier OS27 yesterday. I too was short a few bolts/nuts and having trouble with the new design of the track joining plates. I see you got it figured it out marcnaz. Any advice on getting the joining plates on so the yellow carriage retaining track fit right?

Delta66

Quote from: KayakKen on April 11, 2019, 08:42:00 AM
Hello, new here and new to owning a mill...just received my Frontier OS27 yesterday. I too was short a few bolts/nuts and having trouble with the new design of the track joining plates. I see you got it figured it out marcnaz. Any advice on getting the joining plates on so the yellow carriage retaining track fit right?
If your joining plates have a curl in them, the curl goes on the inside of the track and faces toward the ground.  

KayakKen

Thanks...I had them on with the curl on outside of track and facing down (as Norwood rep told me yesterday) and couldn't get the other rail piece on straight. I will change it today and hopefully the rest will go smoothly. Hope to mill my first log by this weekend.

marcnaz

Yep, just turn them inside and everything fits. Also not sure which engine they have in the instructions but didn't match mine at all as far as connecting the throttle. Another one of those things you just have to figure out. I've cut a few logs with mine and it cuts great. Once I got it assembled, it's been pretty much issue free. I just finished a 16ft lean to with a metal roof so I can move it and keep it out of the rain before the Arizona monsoon season gets here this summer.

I did notice the blades need a little fine tuning. I tried a couple different ones and I don't know if this is an issue with all blades and not sure if it happens in shipping or what, but the Sabertooth blades I received seem to have a few teeth that are not set correctly. It was really evident with my first cut. Bent a few errant teeth back a bit and the cut is much smoother. I can already see that having a tooth setter and fine tuning your blades can made a big difference in your cut quality. I ordered a couple push/pull clamps and a diy tooth setter build is on my list of projects.
USAF Retired

Frontier_Paul

Good to here all is good now. I switched from the saber-tooth to the wood-miser double hard 9 degree blade and have had good success. I usually cut southern pine, oaks, and pecan all with no issues with my OS27. 

charlie879

Curious how you Frontier owners are liking your mills after a little more use. I'm getting close to my first mill and Frontier is one of the long list (Woodland Mills, Timbery, Woodmaxx...) that can't decide between. Thanks in advance for your sharing your experiences/opinions.

Frontier_Paul

I am liking mine as i have had it 1 year now. I sure would like to have on of those orange ones with hydraulics but for what I need I love my OS-27. I may upgrade to the ceramic blade guides when the rollers need replacing. I ordered extra track to be able to to 16' material on mine. Good luck and enjoy which ever way you go! 

Jon1985

I have been running an OS31 for about a month now.  Similar situation to you, missing the manual for the trailer, missing a few parts but nothing to hold up assembly.  Packaged well but some paint rubbed off due to metal touching.

It was frustrating day 1 as I unpacked it after work and Norwood was closed so I had to wait for them to open to get started.  Once I was in touch with the right people things got resolved quickly  But shipping on missing parts was still 3 or 4 days.  

Overall unpacking and assembly was frustrating, but now that its up and running it seems pretty smooth.  I havent come close to maxing it out yet, but hopefully in the next few weeks I can get at some of our larger logs and really get it working.  Our very wet spring up here in Canada has made moving logs very difficult.

So far I am happy with the mill.  I have about 10,000bdft of mixed logs lined up for some clients so hopefully it gets a good stretch and workout.

DavidLovesUSA

I am two weeks into having my Frontier OS31.  I too had several issues getting going.  A couple broken non-penetrating welds and some missing parts.  I got the manual for the mill but did not get the one for the trailer assembly.  The parts were a few weeks out so I just got them welded locally.  

I have to say that even with all of the quality issues in the crate, the team at Norwood has been great.  Really responsive. When I posted some of my issues on their Facebook page to see if anyone had any advice, Brian from Norwood gave me a call.  Yes, they called me!  That was really cool.  He was able to fast ship me a part (the sleeve that goes inside the blade tension spring was missing) and got me up and running in a couple days.  That kind of service deserves praise.
David Thomson
Timber Trappings

Wolfgang Rother

Hi i got an OS 31.
I have some small things i dont`t like.
Some screws are 4.8 not 8.8, the are ok but not the high quality.
So i changed them.

And some other small things i dont like, but nothing serius..(sorry form my english, school is over 25+ years behind me)
Thats the cons here are the pros.
The sawmill is built really solid.
The trailer is heavy duty, TOP !!!!
The sawhead is really strait and the high changes goes perfect.

bevor i bought it i tryed LM 29 and LT 15, mmm both are awesome.
But the price of those with gas engine and trailer are tooooo high, esp. (Woodmizer)
So i end up with the 31. with in total Trailer, TÜV  (Teck inskektion, german street law)
to may sawblades...40
it was arround 9 k euros

So i cutted the last week 5 Pine and 4 Esch, to cut and the setting are really easy!
I am happy with the OS 31 8)

Thank You Sponsors!