iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill has been downgraded

Started by ksu_chainsaw, November 15, 2004, 06:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksu_chainsaw

Well, the savings for the mill got tapped out to buy a car- diesel was just costing too much, and the car was the right price - 97 Pontiac Grand Prix.

So now im looking at a lot less to spend on a mill.  I have been looking around, and think that I will end up building most of the mill.  Has anybody used the Linn Lumber mill?  I am thinking I will buy the M-1900 head assembly from them, then build the rest of it.  Any feedback on this will be appreciated.

From Surplus Center, I found a 13 hp Powertrain engine.  I've never heard of this brand, but the price is right.  Has anyone had any experience with this engine?

One more question.  I have a rough idea on how to build a dogging system, but are all the dogs linked together?  What type of mechanism pushes the one side of the dogs into the log?  

Thanks for the replies

Charles

shopteacher

Charles, seems like there are a lot of good used mills out there for some really reasonable prices.
   Unless you just want to build your own, that's one thing, but I imagine by the time you get all the parts to build one you might be able to pick up a good used one and be right off to sawing. Just a thought.  Never heard of that engine, however 13 hp. seems a little light for a mill. Lot of stuff coming from China though. I see a lot of woodworking equipment that runs OK till ya need a part.
     I'd take a look at woodmizer's dogging systems. I see they have a new set up for their LT15, but I'd really like to have their new hyd. dog on my mill.
   Oh, Ole Butch say to give them hell over there and keep the noggin down. Play it safe and come back alive.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

I'm wondering if that engine is made by Honda, and sold as a cheaper competition for other brands. It looks exactly like a Honda and I hear that nearly all parts will interchange. ???

If you are planning to get into custom sawing, building your own MAY work out OK, but, will take a bunch of time.  We built ours, BUT, we had a definite need in mind, BIGGER than what we could find AND afford.

Used name brand mills are out there. Putting something like an LT-15 on a heavy framed trailer, will get the job done. Adding mods as you go will be a cheaper alternative.

There is a LOT of info to build what you need, here on the Forum, just as soon as you get back home.  Keep yer head down and hurry back. ;) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

D._Frederick

KSU,

I bought No. 0008 saw head from LINN LUMBER about 1990 and build the rest of the mill myself. LINN LUMBER furnishes drawing of all the components that you will need to build. Look them over and see if they will work for you, if not, design your own.  The only thing that I would suggest is to buy the largest saw head he has, I found too many swell blutts that I had to use the chain saw on.  Good luck on what every route you take.

Buzz-sawyer

I am thinking that engine is a chinese knock off, that is built to same specs?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Pedalbiker

D. Frederick do you have contact information for Linn Lumber?

Thanks,

Pat
Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

ksu_chainsaw

There is contact information at their website :  www.linnlumber.com

What has me wanting to build my own is the fact that we have most of the materials needed already out in the scrapyard - Dad never throws ANYTHING away.

I've built a lot of different eqipment for the neighbor in his shop, and I have access to it, so this should not be a problem, as the crucial part is already built, at least in my opinion, although I know that the track has to be square and level, sure hope the shop floor hasnt settled any  ;D

Thanks for the help

Charles

slowzuki

They are cheap honda knock-off's.  Honda is fighting them big time as they are known to be much less reliable.  Honda doesn't want their name soiled by the chinese imatation ones.

From what I've heard they run well for a while but just don't last the same as a Honda.

QuoteI am thinking that engine is a chinese knock off, that is built to same specs?

D._Frederick

KSU,

LINN LUMBER has designed the tracks out of 10 ft. sections of 3 X 3 angle iron and are to be set on a wooden base during use. I started out with a 3 X 4 X3/8 angle 20 ft long. I Fitted a removeable axle under it so that I could move the saw around, but had problems leveling the track with the wheels removed. I got 2each lengths of 6 inch channel and bolted this to the angle iron. I had a problem with the channel being straight, it had a crook in it of 3/8 inch in 20 feet. I would suggest designing the track to your usage, if you want to be able to tow the mill, design the track as such.

Thank You Sponsors!