iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blades for wide cut

Started by Pabene, May 13, 2018, 03:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pabene

I have a log band saw and have cut boards during 15 years. The mill is designed for 1 ½" blades. The motor is a 7,5 kW three phase. When I start to cut a log, about 30" diameter, I would like to have blades with a pitch of 1.25" – 1.5".  I can not find 1 ½" blades with more than 1" pitch on the market. IMO, the blades with 7/8" or 1" pitch, has to small gullets to make a wide cut.
When I am lifting a board, 10" wide, I can see the blade with 7/8" pitch, starts to leave sawdust already after 8" in the cut.
In all other cases of sawing, cold saws for metal, vertical band saws, circular saws and so, you have to select a blade with suitable gullets for the thickness of the material you are going to cut.
I want to ask here on the forum if someone know why we not can order 1 ½" blades wit larger pitch.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  I assume "Pitch" is the space between the tooth?  1 1/8" is available through WM.
  7.5 KW = 10 hp? Is this correct? Electric motor hp is a little different than engine hp?  There is not a torque curve on a electric motor like a gas or diesel motor would have.
10 electric is close to a 25 hp gas engine. ?

Here is my opinion.
     10 hp is not much in relation to using a wide tooth spacing blade.
     I would try a 7 degree with the 29 degree back angle blade. 7/39   7/8 tooth spacing  1.25 width.  WM name is the Turbo blade.
     You could also try a smaller gullet witch would used less hp. 9/29  ( this goes against your theory)
     Other things to think about.   Blade speed, WM likes 1 mile a min or 5200 SFM
                                                Feed rate would also effect the saw dust size, slower makes fine dust
                                                Many band saws use a narrow band in tough sawing conditions ( Frozen) with great results 1.25" widths.
                                                Bi Metal, Carbide etc will stay sharp longer may help.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Skipper11A

Quote from: Pabene on May 13, 2018, 03:07:48 PMWhen I am lifting a board, 10" wide, I can see the blade with 7/8" pitch, starts to leave sawdust already after 8" in the cut.
Pabene, the only problem that I hear is that you are leaving sawdust between the boards.  I'm not sure that this is a problem.  I haven't heard you mention a real problem yet.  Are your cuts flat or are they wavy?  If your cuts are wavy, that's a problem.  If your cuts are flat, then you have no problem.

Pabene

Skipper11A, I have no real problem but I miss 1 1/2" blades with tooth space of about 1 1/4". For us with lower hp I am sure it would be good. (It can be good for all). I have performed a test with a blade as I had cut away every second teeth. That way I know it is in the "right direction" to go for wide cut.
I am not good enough in English to explain all details. Maybe some here can tell why the blade maufactory just make maximum 1 1/8 tooth space.

Thank You Sponsors!