iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

come-a-long

Started by bad_boards, August 23, 2006, 11:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad_boards

anyone have a POV on best come-a-long for log moving?

dont need to go up as my mill is on the ground, just a good one for

moving and dragging. not loading.

any ideas?

tcsmpsi

Not real sure what you're looking for, but I had been having a need for a good, heavy duty come along for a very long time.  I finally found this 'little' jewel at Bailey's a few months ago.  Two ton w/40' of cable allows me to get a long pull on something.  I got it primarily for felling trees, but have used it to pull a couple logs from where I couldn't get to them readily.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

bad_boards

thats the hot ticket, some thing thats made from iron, looks heavy duty

scsmith42

Most of the forged aluminum bodied come a longs are pretty well suited for all around usage.  You'll pay around 200 - 300 for a good CM or Jet though.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

tcsmpsi

If memory serves correctly, I believe Bailey's (right over there in the sponsors) refers to it as a heavy duty ratchet winch.  It  weighs about 40 lbs.

It is all I hoped it would be.  

**I believe (again, w/the memory thing) it was around a hundred and a half, but that's been a few months ago.**
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

bad_boards

the cast iron one looks like the one for me , the light weight on the stuff
one  sees at home center stores just seem like they would break 1st time u
try to make a pull on a heavy log

thanks all

beenthere

For that kind of power pulling in the woods (and other places), I've looked a lot at these capstan winches, either with a power head or attached to a chainsaw.

Simpson Capstan Rope winch
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

scsmith42

Check out a rigging supply store in your area.  Trust me, lugging around a cast iron come a long will get old in a hurry.  The forged aluminum ones (used by utility companies, steel erectors, etc) are top quality and lightweight.

Long link eh?  ;)
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

jkj

Quote from: tcsmpsi on August 23, 2006, 01:13:36 PM
If memory serves correctly, I believe Bailey's (right over there in the sponsors) refers to it as a heavy duty ratchet winch.  It  weighs about 40 lbs.

I found it listed as a "2 Ton Capacity Ratchet Puller", $160, 40' 5/16" wire rope, weight: 29 lbs, item # 17420.   I've been looking for one like this, thanks.  I'm tired of the cheap junk comealongs that would rather tear up rather than do the job.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

tcsmpsi

Thanks for looking it up, jkj.  I got a couple other smaller items along with it and probably came up with the "40lbs" from the shipping weight. 

It's already been worth every dime and every ounce to me, and it's just starting to get broke in.   ;D

bad_boards

urbanlumberinc

I'm a big fan of the capstan style winch.  By virtue of it's design it allows the usuer alot of lattitude in rigging up a pull.  I've used mine to do everything from tree work, to dragging and loading logs, to hauling an elk out of the woods.  Just attach the rope to a tree or vehicle, pay it out to the object you want to move, connect the capstan to theobject, and off you go.

solodan

I am with urbanlumberinc on this one. I love my capstan, but I think I will get a dedicated saw to power it, cause when you need it, you need it now.

jkj

Quote from: bad_boards on August 24, 2006, 09:19:43 AM
http://www.cspoutdoors.com/morpowpul.html
looks like the same unit.

I notice that one model, 2 ton with 40' of cable, is labled "For Professional Use Only".  Why would that be?  (The definition of "professional" is one who is engaged in a profession as a means of livehood, e.g., someone who get's paid for what they do - can you only use that model for paid work?)

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

DanG

JKJ, that sounded more like a mild rant than an actual question. ;) :D  I too get a bit weary of the misuse of the term.  In this case, I think it is a veiled legal disclaimer, indicating that you could get hurt if you don't know what you're doing.  A far more common usage of "Pro" is in advertising, making the buyer think he's getting a quality product while he's actually buying junk. >:(  Take for instance, the PoulanPro series of power tools.  All over the box, there are hints that this is a professional grade tool, but on the owners manual(sealed up inside the box) is the disclaimer, "For occasional use only." >:( >:(  This is nothing short of fraud, in my opinion.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tcsmpsi

Whew!  I had to go and check.  Mine wasn't marked anywhere "For Professional Use Only", nor did Bailey's make any mention of it being so.  Sure ain't nobody paid me to use it, yet.   ;D

However, it has been most complicit in my immediate livlihood.  Had I let one of them trees fall on where my wife's car resides... :D

One of those old design, simple machines that works well, doesn't require another gas mouth to feed, and only takes 1 hp (human power) to operate.   ;)

jkj

Quote from: tcsmpsi on August 26, 2006, 09:26:22 AM
Whew!  I had to go and check.  Mine wasn't marked anywhere "For Professional Use Only", nor did Bailey's make any mention...

Oh no, I think you're allowed to use the one from Bailey's for non-pro work!  It's one model from the cspoutdoors link above that's for the pros.  Odd think is, it's only the model with 40' of cable labled as such.  Maybe you can get danG way more hurt faster with a longer cable unless you have more edjukashun and xpeereeants. 

The models from CSP, free shipping:
2 ton, 30', $143
2 ton, 35', $146
2 ton, 40', $150 - Professional Use Only
3 ton, 20', $150

Yikes, apparently the same thing from Bailey's:
2 ton, 40', $175 (with shipping added in)

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

jack

YA,  FLEE from those Cheap ones.
Yer pullin a log,  maybe you or your buddy could get hurt when the cheapo breaks.,
I learned my lesson years ago,  Cheapo Come along,  pulling a pallet of stone up,  a incline, (thot it was easier to do than move them stones one at a time), WEll incline ramp rollers etc,,,,,,,,,  as i was regriping the comealong the second pull,,,,, the swaged end of the cable came undone and 1/2 ton of rocks went sliding down about 30 feet,  almost running over two employees,  resulting in broken bench and scared (not Skerd) concrete.   Not to mention explaining to the customer why the words were spoken in a not so quiet voice.  (me and my tongue urgh)
Well find a quality one.  NEW is better than old, used, could be a defect or worn product.
JAck
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

Corley5

We've got one of them cast iron bodied ones that's been around the farm for as long as I have ;).  Grandpa and Dad used it to stretch barb wire.  Had to be careful and not stretch too much ;)  We don't use it much anymore and the last time we wanted it it took a couple days to find it ::) ;D  Dad using it up camp right now to pull down some trees :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ironwood

The red unit from Bailey's looks like a RED DEVIL to me. I have found them at mine supply houses in our area. I have two and a third parts unit. They are .......................pretty DaNG tough. I threw away the original hollow bar to ratchet it and went with solid STEEL  ;D She'll take all I can give her!!! Enjoy.

Reid
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

rebocardo

The one with 40 feet of cable might be marked pro because of the trouble of rewinding the cable under pressure on the drum without making a bird's nest.

jkj

Yesterday I got a 2-ton model from CSP.  It is bigger than I had anticipated, looks very heavy-duty.  My other come-a-longs look like toys.  This one is labeled "More Power Puller" made by Wyeth-Scott Co, Newark, Ohio.

JKJ
LT-15 for farm and fun

bad_boards

i needed mine for moving 3   five foot x 34 inch sycamore logs back into my yard
from where the tree cutters gave on them.

i wanted the logs for lumber so i was going to move em

and i did,

brut force and simple tools

my wife says i am an ox

Kevin

Go with a rope puller or capstan winch, 100ft. of Tree Master rope and two double arborist blocks for a 5:1MA.
No need for brute force with the potential of causing back surgery down the line.

Dan_Shade

i'm with kevin

work smart and hard :)  let the smart go first.

levers and rollers are your friend.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!