iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee

Started by isawlogs, November 01, 2007, 08:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Aint it nice to have a nice hot cup of coffee in the morning ...

How do you guys have yours , mine is black and thick  ;D

Ya its a good morning for me today .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Mine is cold. And strangely, it tastes exactly like diet coke.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bull

regular, 1 dash of sugar and a splash of milk....

Brad_S.

I am not (was not?) normally a coffee drinker but I'm developing a real craving for Tim Horton's English Toffee cappuccino. OK, it's not a "manly" coffee, but hey, I like it. Add a couple honey crullers and the morning paper and I can easily waste away an hour.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Raider Bill

Costa Rican, thick with Half and half and a touch of sugar.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Cedarman

I fresh grind enough French Roast to make about 6 cups. I do this the first thing out of bed.  As it is brewing, I check out e-mail and forestry forum.  As soon as brewed, I pour a nice cup or put in thermos cup.  Add about 1/4 to 1/2 tablespoon of Cremora or tablespoon milk, (I would gag if some sugar got in it)  Then sit back read e-mail and check out the FF. I look forward to getting out of bed each morning.  Life is good. About 7 head to mill and do the organizing for the day.  Come back to house, do a little paperwork, drink rest of coffee and am good for the day.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Fla._Deadheader

;) ;)  Straight up, don't contaminate it with NOTHIN.  8) 8) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Carries-Mom

Sometimes I can get my hands on Costa Rican...it's seems my delivery person is slacking on the job... :D :D .. Little sugar is all I contaminate mine with... ;D

Lanier_Lurker

Costa Rican is all I drink any more.  It is the best.  :)

The local wholesale club keeps it in stock.

Norm

Patty and I make our coffee very strong. I like mine black without anything in it and she will use the flavored creamers if available but otherwise same as me. Lately my favorite is fresh ground columbo supremo.

ely

fishman

black,thick and hearty

Weekend_Sawyer

Blond and sweet. Just like my Lovely Miss... used to be ;D :D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

thecfarm

Just pour it and I will drink it.I very rarely buy coffee at a chain store.I'm too cheap.I don't care for a cup of flavored coffee,but I don't mind a little spalsh of it ,and than put the regular stuff in it.I stop for gas on the way to work and add just a little of flavored coffee in the bottom of a cup.
I knew a guy that said his coffee was pepsi.First thing in the morning he would have a pepsi the way some have coffee.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

I don't drink it very often anymore, I like it light and sweet, and I don't need the sugar. Although, I have come to the realization that a large coffee with four sugars is only 16g of carbs, way less than a can of soda. ;) I may start drinking a small cup now and then as it is getting colder, finally. I do like Dunkin Donuts though, but I'm not paying over $2 for it. >:( I guess I'm just your basic coffee wimp. A friend of mine on the other hand drinks something that looks, and tastes like coal tar.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Coon

I LOVE my coffee in the morning.  I go for the certified organic Canadian grown KICKING HORSE COFFEE.  My favorite blend is the GRIZZLY CLAW which is a dark coffee.  I usually grind enough to make a pot at a time.  This coffee is not cheap by any means either as it costs me $14.95/lb.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

sawguy21

I have not seen that brand. I like a medium roast straight out of the pot for the morning wake up call, no additives. Can't start the day without it.
I have cut down a lot, it used to be a basic food group when I spent a lot of time chasing helicopter crews all over the country.
Is anyone still ordering the Costa Rican from our friend?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

Caffiene is one of my principle drug habits.  It takes pretty much a whole pot to get my heart started in the morn.  I take it straight, and cannot abide flavored coffees.  As long as it is just pure coffee, I'll drink it however it comes.  If I'm really desperate, I'll even go for a cup of instant. :-X
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

KGNC

My wife has written and recorded a song "Coffee's Calling". She likes her coffee.

Tom

Right out of the pot for me too.  PIping hot.   I don't care for it too strong, but can handle most of what is thrown at me.  I like, what is considered, a normal strength and am not even turned off by coffe that is a little weak as long as it is hot.  I'm not too particular about brand but drink Maxwell House mostly here at home and stay away from chicory.

If you've been in the service, there is a good chance that your coffee will be black.  You get used to it that way or don't get it.   Picture a ship rolling in heavy seas and four or five sailors on a watch station.  One says "I'm going for coffee, who wants some?"  You have to do it that way because the watch station can't be abandoned.  If someone says "I do, 2 sugars and a splash of cream".  His cup rides right along with the others.  It might have to go half of the ship and up and down several almost vertical ladders, yet, you see as many as five cups being carried at a time.   Cream and sugar?  Yeah, right.  you're lucky to get something hot.   When you take that first swallow, you begin to realize why it's so easy to keep in the cup. :D

Weekend_Sawyer

I see the link on the front of the forum to Costa Rican Coffee is broken.

I purchase 5lb at a time from them, It's darn good and comes out to about $11 a lb.

Jon

pineywoods

When I'm desperate and need a coffe fix in a hurry, I use coffee bags. We have one of those 1 gallon water heaters under the kitch sink, it makes 190 deg water instantly. Throw one of the bags (no it ain't instant stuff, it's sure nuff coffee) in a cup and fill with hot water from that little heater -----instant sure nuff coffee.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bill Johnson

We make 42 cups at a time in the perculator and it stays on almost 24/7. I like mine black and strong. Hot or cold don't matter too much.

Strangely enough though can't drink Tim Hortons unless it's double-double, tried it straight up a couple of times and it was just way too bitter.
Bill

DanG

If has been sitting around a while, it can become acidic and bitter.  A tiny pinch of salt in your cup will make it a lot more palatable.  I'm talking about a teensy-weensy little pinch, no more than a dozen grains of table salt.

Tom, that Navy coffee must be a whole lot like Army coffee.  Ya tilt the cup up and wait for it to slide out, right? :D :D  I was one of our Mess Sgt's favorite people.  I was the only one who would come into the Mess Hall at 4pm and have a cup with him! :o :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

leweee

strong ...perked....hot or cold 8) It is what I use to decorate my monitor & keyboard after reading certain posts. ::) :D ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

dave7191

I had to laugh at Tom post  Because i was thinking that the only time i could think of ever diluting my coffee was mid watch and that is even stronger than normal navy coffee  a few cups of Cajun coffee  otherwise straight up and hot and fairly strong

customsawyer

Being a vet I drink it strait up. Kind of like cowboy coffee, through a horse shoe in it when she foats its ready. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

LeeB

Used to drink it by the gallon, but only every once in a while now. Mostly when it's cold out. I like it black and strong and thru a perculator. I buy beans and grind it myself. The best coffee is river coffee. The kind you boil in an old pot on the fire and drink it through your teeth to strain out the grounds and the bugs from the river water :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Slabs

Maybe me n' DanG need to make an odyssey down and have a cup (pot+) with Harold.  I was in Panama in 86' with the reserves and got introduced to "Central" American coffee, namely Cello Dorado.  I found it more tasty than the Columbian brands so popular in the comissary.

Mine always comes as from the pot.  No "adjuncts" (as they say in beer brewing).  Needless to say many of my coffee drinking habits come from the Army but I wish I 'd had an oppurtunity to enjoy more Navy coffee.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

hiya

I learned to drink coffee in Central America.Hot coffee or warm coke.
Put a little milk in mine. Grew up on a farm, milk makes anything better ::).
My coffee maker is a 12 cup, Saturdays when I'm home, even when it's in the 90's, usually make 2 pots.
Richard
RichardinMd.

sawdust

Reg coffee ONE drop of cream.
Occasionally I make Arab coffee, it is flavored with some Cardamon ground into it. Boiled in a sauce pan and served sweet. sort of like dessert.
Nice as a treat I would not want it daily.

Grew up in a Danish family,,, drink it strong, drink it often!
Nowadays I need to take my pantaloc first.  :'(

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

SwampDonkey

I drink Costa Rican medium roast. A spoonful of sugar and a drop of cereal cream or milk. Not much of a cream user, prefer milk. This is only 10 % MF and regular milk is 3.5% so no biggie. I also add a dash of salt to the percolator. I usually go for 3 cups, but maybe drink only half of those cup fulls. I can go without it. It's just one of them things that go good with a slice of corn bread or a muffin. ;D

I don't visit the coffee houses at all. They serve the most expensive coffee by the tablespoon I ever saw.  ::)

You do know that Tim Hortons and the likes put additives in the coffee don't you? To enhance your craving of course.

I never use any of those plastic perk machines, I have a stainless steel perk.

When we were hunting and fishing, you'd just boil your water in a lard kettle and add the coffee. We used a piece of hey wire for a handle and held the bottom rim as well for pouring. Most of the time we boiled tea.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

I recently had a cup of turkish coffee, it was in a teeney little cup, very strong and sweet. It had abut an eighth of an inch of mud in the bottom of it and it felt like I had 4 cups of coffee.
Probably not legal in the states ;)

Jon

sawguy21

I remember being served that coffee in the tiny cup. I thought that odd until I drank it. That stuff is strong and certainly has a kick. :D

brdmkr

This morning was a pot of my own French Roast blend.  Roasted by myself on Tuesday evening.  I aim to roast up a batchh of Kenya AA tomorrow for next week.  I build my own roaster (I REALLY LIKE COFFEE), that lets me roast about 3 lbs at a time.  I could likely roast up to 5 lbs at a time, but I don't have that kind of outlet.  I like the Costa Rican too, but I tend to favor the African and Indonesian coffees as they seem to take a little darker roast.

I don't put anything in it, but I don't knock them that do!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Grawulf

Well, I'll probably be labeled the "wimpy man" here........... ::)  I drink espresso..
expresso - however you spell it. Eight O'clock coffee with a dash of southern pecan creamer. OOHHHH - startin' the day right. Recently had a birthday and youngest son came up with six packs of Boca Java. Maple Bacon Morning caught my ear as they have been advertising it. My son loves me........... 8) 8)

Slabs

Waaal now DanG

Maybe we better go up and tip a pot with brdmkr.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Ed_K

Folgers red jar  ;D.but I'll drink any kind if its cheap  :). I stoped at a java hut once and ordered a regular coffee when they brought it to the window they said $4.50 please I drove off  :o .
Ed K

brdmkr

Quote from: Slabs on November 02, 2007, 07:46:26 PM
Waaal now DanG

Come on!  Happy to share a pot with my friends!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

So, now you're brewed maker too, eh?

DanG

Quote from: Slabs on November 02, 2007, 07:46:26 PM
Waaal now DanG

Waaal now Slabbsey-Wabbsey, I'll take ya up on that!  Just drag yer carcass over here tomorrow and we'll invade Brewed-Maker's territory.  I'm gonna call his hand on that "that kind of outlet" remark, too! I'm pretty sure my outlet will handle that other 2 pounds. ;D  I gotta go up there soon anyway.  I picked up them bar clamps for him at Harbor Freight and he paid me for'em at Moultrie, but they're still ridin' around in my van. :-\

brdmkr

Got to work in the morning, but will be there in the PM.  You want me to call when I get there?

DanG

Yeah, give me a call, Mike.  I don't know if I can shake loose from here, but I'll know by then. :)

Tom

I have a pot of coffee here next to the computer but decided I wanted some ice cream.  I went to the freezer to see if we had some and, lo and behold, we did.   I opened it to find that it was Neapolitan.  I think that is what it is called when they put vanilla, strawberry and chocolate all in the same container.   Gael doesn't like strawberry and the vanilla and chocolate on each side was missing almost down to the bottom.  The strawberry wasn't touched.  Heck!  I didn't even know we had ice cream.

Not being too terribly particular, I spooned out the strawberry into a coffee cup and returned to the computer where I was eating it and eyeing the coffee pot at the same time.   Finally, I was down to about a tablespoon and a half of ice cream and couldn't stand it any longer.  I poured the cup full of hot coffee, making myself a Strawberry/coffee something or other.    The coffee was cooled almost immediately and I began drinking it and nibbling on the ice cream.  It wasn't very good, so I gulped the coffee down and ate the what was left of the strawberry ice cream.  I know some of you like flavored coffee.  I don't.  But even if you do, don't try this.  Not being a flavored coffee connoisseur, I can't tell you that it isn't a  gourmet treat, but I can tell you that I don't like it.  :-\   :D

DanG

That was a successful experiment.  You had a question, you sought an answer, and you got one! 8) 8) 8)

Did ya ask Gael why she bought Neopolitan if she don't like strawberry?  Enquiring minds want to know. ;D

solodan

I drink coffee everyday, at all hours of the day. I never put anything in good ole brewed coffee, just coffee. I prefer the taste of a darker roast such as Italian, but I really need the higher caffeine of the lighter roast to start the day. Yes, lighter roast has more caffeine. :) I arrive at the SugarShack at about 6:20am where my oldest daughter gets on the school bus. I usually start with a Cappuccino. :) I prefer little milk, mostly just foam on top to hold the heat of the esspresso in. I like to take my time with my first cup, and an espresso looses its heat too quickly for this. It also needs to be served in a traditional porcelain cup, which has far better heat retention characteristics than glass or paper. After my daughter gets on the bus, I switch to a fresh black cup of Guatamalan Hue Hue :). I catch up on all the morning gossip, and then I get a cup of Italian in a paper to go cup, to bring with me while I drop my youngest off, and then to the mill yard :). I usually go back for lunch around 11:30 have some lemonade and then get a 1/2 cup of Italian to go :). Sometimes I have another in the afternoon :), and in the late afternoon early evening I go in and get an espresso. :)  or Espresso Con Panna :) This is an invitation  to all of the FF members. Come on out to the Sierra Nevada and I'll buy you a great cup of coffee.  8) I even pull a great espresso.  The place is owned by my wife and myself, but she rarely lets me in the kitchen :DAliciassugarshack.com

brdmkr

Tom,  I wish you would have given me a yell.  I'd have told you that would NOT be good.  Of course, I'm getting a pretty big kick out of it :D  I bet that was pure nasty.

Solodan,  If I am ever out your way, I'll look you up.  It sounds like you know where to get the good stuff.  You hit it right on the head regarding the caffeine content and the roast.  All things being equal, darker roast have less caffeine.  However, this can be offset some by using different coffees (different origins).  Trouble is, the really high caffeine beans aren't very good (my opinion).

tcsmpsi

At the shop, I use a Starbucks Sumatra or French Roast mix (which I buy from Staples when it's on sale in large quantities)  with Folgers Columbian.  At the house we use Community New Orleans Blend mixed with the Columbian (my wife likes the chickory).  So, in the morning when I leave the house, I fill up my travel mug with that, go open the shop, get things up and going, take the children to school around 6:30 (having about finished my travel mug by that time) and usually go stop by Valero (that opens at 6am) afterwards and fill my mug with fresh  Kenya, and perhaps get to hug my wife.   ;D

This morning, I'm filling my mug with Kenya and notice new, little containers of Caffine booster (with a warning not to use more than 2 a day).  I tried one of those in my Kenya.  Not bad, but I think in a travel mug, probably have to use at least 2.   ;D

Hmmmm....I've not tried strawberry ice cream in my coffee, Tom.  Chocolate and vanillar bean is pretty good, every now and then. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

sawguy21

Caffeine booster :o Yikes, that is all I need :D After having several cups of coffee one morning, I chowed down a chocolate coated coffee bean. A half hour later, I was like Elmer Fudd on helium, what a buzz. The crash was ugly though, was fighting to keep my eyes open.

Bro. Noble

Well,  you guys can look down your nose at me for using instant coffee if you want to.  If you had some instant handy, Tom, you could have sprinkled some in dry form over your ice cream and you would have had a real treat ;D  I also like to put a little in my chili 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

solodan

Brdmkr is right about the blending of beans. You can still have a darker roasted flavor with higher caffeine content by blending different varieties of beans, or even blending different roasts. This is the reason for the early morning blends. The names of these usually tells you this, like Breakfast Blend. :)  We do one called the Shack Blend and another called Rise and Shine. :)   On another note, if I am making coffee at home or even camping, I prefer a french press method.  This method is  as easy as instant, and once you get on the french press method you won't want anything else.  :)

brdmkr

I use a press pot from time to time myself, but mine doesn't make as much as I would like.  I ought to check into a larger pot.  I have seen a pot that works like a siphon (Turkish pot???).  That looks like it would make a stout cup as well.

DanG

OK, you guys have taken this to a new level.  Just what is the "French Press method?"

WH_Conley

Gee, the way Gradnma Flossie taught me to make coffe was to put water and coffee into a pot, boil it, add cold water to settle the grounds and use your moustashe to filter out the rest.

Guess thats's reason I carry a moustach (sp) til this day.

Course you could count the drinks from the cup by counting the rings :D :D :D

Only way I know how to make it, just ask my wife. ;D 
Bill

brdmkr

Quote from: DanG on November 03, 2007, 09:32:35 PM
OK, you guys have taken this to a new level.  Just what is the "French Press method?"

Well, it is not as exotic as it sounds.  A French press is a pot with straight sides (no taper).  You put ground coffee in and pour in hot water.  Stir with a spoon.  Then you put the top on.   The top has a hole in the middle with a rod running through the hole.  A screen that just fits inside the pot is attached to this rod.  You press the rod down and it pushes all of the coffee grounds to the bottom and out of your coffee.  So, the grounds are pressed to the bottom by the screen and the coffee can be served relatively ground-free.  Next time I see you, I'll make sure to have the press with me. 

inspectorwoody

Black with nothing else in it for the most part but sometimes I'll put in some milk and a bunch of sugar.

Tom

Being able to make that fancy coffee must have the women chasing you all over the place.  Is that why they call you Broad maker? :D

WILDSAWMILL

Quote from: WH_Conley on November 03, 2007, 09:52:27 PM
Gee, the way Gradnma Flossie taught me to make coffe was to put water and coffee into a pot, boil it, add cold water to settle the grounds and use your moustashe to filter out the rest.

Guess thats's reason I carry a moustach (sp) til this day.

Course you could count the drinks from the cup by counting the rings :D :D :D

Only way I know how to make it, just ask my wife. ;D 

if you drop a egg shell in there the grounds fall to bottom
i like mine from folgers only thing i put in it might be some scotch
Kascosaw2B

brdmkr

Quote from: Tom on November 03, 2007, 10:20:49 PM
Being able to make that fancy coffee must have the women chasing you all over the place.  Is that why they call you Broad maker? :D

Only have one woman chasing me.  If I can get that rolling pin out of her hand :o, I might let her catch me ;D

DanG

Well shucks, Mike!  I thought it was gonna be something fancy.  That sounds like the stuff Festus used to make for Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke, 'cept he didn't have no screen to filter out the solids.  I was thinkin' maybe they boiled the whole beans, then pressed the coffee out of'em, or sumpthin. ::)

solodan

Quote from: DanG on November 03, 2007, 11:07:59 PM

That sounds like the stuff Festus used to make for Matt Dillon on Gunsmoke, 'cept he didn't have no screen to filter out the solids.  

It's pretty close, and the only reason you need the screen is to push the grounds down. The problem with a perculator is that you have to boil the water, which is just a little to hot and scorches the coffee, giving it a burnt taste. The coffee from the press is better tasting, but don't be mistaken.This is a thick cup of coffee, with lots of sediment left in the coffee, which usually gets stuck in the paper filter of drip brewed coffee.

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all are just toooo DanG fancy, or fussy  ::) ::) ::)

We use a small wire frame that holds a sock type bag. Dump in yer grounds, boil some water, and dump that in. A spoon of coffee, and fill the little bag with water, and you get about 1 mug of coffee. Double the grounds, and set a small pot under the bag, and add twice the water, OR, same amount of water and add plain water to a ½ mug.

Extreme boiled water, gets out more coffee from the grounds. We NEVER re-run left over coffee, well, Reina might  ::) ::) ::)

It's just too easy to do the one spoon fill the bag and wait a few seconds. Unless yer sloppy with fillin the bag, you never get grounds in yer cup.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

Coffee tastes fine out of my stainless perk. Once it starts to perk I turn the heat down low to keep it hot. It's not scortched coffee. If you leave the coffee in the pot for hours it might be scortched I suppose. Prefer to make fresh if I want to drink coffee all day, which I never do. I only drink as much as 2 cups any day. Some people prefer their coffee boiled to death.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

I love the smell of perked coffee as it is making.  Before I had the drip machine that has a thermos carafe, I would use a 2 qt. Stanley Stainless Thermos to put the coffee in.  It keeps it drinkable for hours without destroying the flavor with continuous heat.

Gael bought me a drip maker that will make two separate 10 cup pots at one time.   It has thermos carafes and I use them when I'm in the house.   I sure like that machine.  I can make two different strengths of coffee when we have guests, or one de-caffeinated and one straight up, or one flavored and one for me.....  or even tea in one side and coffee in the other.  :)  The problem with using it for tea is the after taste.  It ruins the next pot of coffee.  :D

DanG

Quote from: Tom on November 04, 2007, 11:19:41 AM
I can make two different strengths of coffee when we have guests, or one de-caffeinated and one straight up, or one flavored and one for me.....  or even tea in one side and coffee in the other.  :) 

Or, when I come over, we can make 2 pots of real coffee at once, then we're good to go for almost an hour before we hafta make more. 8) 8)

Raider Bill

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on November 04, 2007, 09:32:00 AM

Y'all are just toooo DanG fancy, or fussy  ::) ::) ::)

We use a small wire frame that holds a sock type bag. Dump in yer grounds, boil some water, and dump that in. A spoon of coffee, and fill the little bag with water, and you get about 1 mug of coffee. Double the grounds, and set a small pot under the bag, and add twice the water, OR, same amount of water and add plain water to a ½ mug.

Extreme boiled water, gets out more coffee from the grounds. We NEVER re-run left over coffee, well, Reina might  ::) ::) ::)

It's just too easy to do the one spoon fill the bag and wait a few seconds. Unless yer sloppy with fillin the bag, you never get grounds in yer cup.  8) 8)

This is how my second EX and her family make it. They are from Puerto Rico and never use a machine.
After straining it they will return to sauce pan, add cream and sugar. and let simmer I guess. I think they called it cafe con leachy or something like that.

When I'm out of my costa rican beans I buy 8 o'clock columbiam at the store in the brown bag. It's about as good as you can get here and not a bad price.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Tom, you do make a good point about using the thermos.

solodan

And now you can buy a thermos french press. You pour hot water in, mix in the grounds, and push the plunger down and you have yourself a thermos of coffee.  ??? You can also get a coffee press travel mug, whereas you make the coffee in the mug and press the grounds to the bottom and lock it in place. Then you just enjoy your coffee right out of the mug.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!