iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GPS or when not to !!!!

Started by isawlogs, September 24, 2009, 01:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I live on a dead end road that used to be connected to another road a lopng time ago . Lets aye that it has been at least fifty years + that no vehicule has passed on the connection and forty that even an ATV would find it dificult to navigate . But Google and other map navigating devices still have that road on some of the GPS out there . Many wekend travellers come up to the house and look for said road that there GPS is telling them to take ... It aint there people. Now some of these people are a riot to talk to . they understand that there GHPS is not faultless and just have a good time asking about how to go to there destination from here and generaly it is a fun discution that ends with them on there way , then you have those that will argue that hte dam road is on there GPS therefore it is there ....  :o ;D Well these people sometimes get to visite the country side a bit more then they had planed . Last week I had one come barrelling up the road , nearly hitting my dogs , telling me that my dogs where hyper and by the way why the hell is the road blocked off by my fence  ....  Oh !!!!!  Road ????  Fence ????  My dogs are what ?????  You are looking for ????   I dont think he has found his way out yet .... 

This all started to tinker when I opened my computer and had a Yahoo head line about dumb GPS user/owner ... you be the judge on this poor soul  ::) 

http://ca.tech.yahoo.com/blogs/the_working_guy/rss/article/3887

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

stonebroke

My parents were in FLA. once in a rented car with GPS when the GPS said to drive thirty five miles and turn left unfortunately they were at the beach facing the gulf of mexico.

Stonebroke

scgargoyle

That's like the road our property is on in SC. It is shown as a loop on the maps (and GPS) but tain't no loop there- not even for a 4X4. I've also noticed that the road overlay on GoogleEarth doesn't line up with the actual road.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

isawlogs

I should mention that the new updated GPS have removed the road connection from the data base , they now stop the road 1 kilometer from the house here , my mom and dad came to visite last week and dad used his GPS to get here and stopped when the GPS said he was at destination .. He had not been here in 25 years so was a little taken back about me removing the barn ... Then he thought outloud that maybe they should continue some , he had my mother going for a little bit  ;D :D  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

:D :D

Truly amazing to me that the maps are as accurate as they are.
Must take an unbelievable amount of time to do the cartography work for those GPS units. Much is done by military and Gov't I believe.

Was out in the middle of Custer State Park, SD and following the GPS/map. Came to the top of a hill, and looked across miles of open plains for the road that was showing going north right where we were sitting. Then of a sudden, two tracks of a buggy path started to appear, and sure 'nuff - there was the "road".

I'm amazed at how good they are. Beyond my expectations.

But does result in some funny situations.  :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

nas

My sister used to live on a road like that.  It used to be a though road, about 50 yrs ago.  People don't take their eyes off the GPS to see the DEAD END signs posted at the beginning of the road.
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

SwampDonkey

Some of their data are off by years, I mean that GIS data for New Brunswick has been digitized since the 1990's and you would think they would have the roads on the GPS devices where people live. I wonder if the Route 2 4-lane is on the new GPS releases yet? Our road here is now on Google, and where dad lives I'm not sure whether those streets are on there yet, the GPS's of the early 2000's never had the streets. The streets have been there was at least 10 years, it's a new development up there. The DNR road data is way more accurate now as they are working off distortion free aerials. Before it was done off photos where the scale here is different than over there, hit an updraft when flying and I'm now 500 meters higher in altitude. Just the nature of the beast. You would sit in this thing like your were going to take flight to make the corrections to distortion and about make a guy cross eyed. Boundaries could be off by 100 meters and roads off by 30m. Now with GPS technology and taking ground control points to apply to the images to remove distortions, everything lines up quite well. I overlay the photo layer on my GPS and if I'm on road or cut block edge, it's bang on.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

It's one gadget that I really enjoy having.  Both the handheld and the auto.  Yes, there are "roads" on them that are not there anymore, but the map feature really helps me on some of these very rural roads.

I'll be in Colorado in three weeks with the handheld.   Marking and finding waypoints is very helpful and reassuring at times.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WildDog

We get to meet a few waywood travellers on our place that think the road is public, most are good for a yarn, but a couple of years back my young son and I were digging a trench across our road to lay a hot wire when a hire car load of japanese tourists drove straight threw, we couldn't believe it out in the middle of nowhere and this mob drive within feet us we had to get our picks and get out of the way as they squashed the trench and kept going, not even slowing to say G'day, I jumped on the quad and cornered them about a mile up the track at the cattle yards, the driver wound down the window and said, "Fothiking, fothiking" I said, "There's no fossicking here pal," I don't normally fire up but this day I was pretty upset. >:(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

tree-farmer

I live at the end of a 1-mile long private road in Western NC. While working on cutting brush with a bush axe down by the creek a couple of obvious tourist types with the yappy lap dog dirve up and said they were "looking for land". They did not look like neighbor material so while standing there sweating and wild eyed holding my bush axe, I asked one question. "Does anyone know where you are right now?" They could not leave fast enough.
Of course my wife got on me for doing this, but I told her that I just gave them a story for thier friends back home.  :D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

beenthere

Quote from: WildDog on September 26, 2009, 06:55:27 AM
We get to meet a few waywood travellers on our place that think the road is public, most are good for a yarn, but a ......................... the driver wound down the window and said, "Fothiking, fothiking" I said, "There's no fossicking here pal," I don't normally fire up but this day I was pretty upset. >:(

"fossicking" is a word for prospecting, right?    ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!