iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flag Case

Started by Tree Feller, July 09, 2012, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tree Feller

I made this for a friend whose dad passed away a couple of years ago. His dad was a WWII vet and campaigned extensively in North Africa and Italy. We were fence neighbors growing up and two finer gentlemen I've never met...father and son.

The flag case and shadow box are in Walnut that came from their property. It's 30" tall, 26.5" wide and finished in Deft lacquer. The backs are 1/4" hardboard with the blue velveteen cloth attached via double-sided tape. I might make 1/4" foam inserts for the two smaller openings in the shadow box for attaching medals. They would be covered in the same blue cloth.

The front of the flag box has 3/32" plexi in it now but is changeable via a slot cut into the bottom of the case once it is removed from the shadow box. He may prefer glass and the plexi can serve as a template.

The top and bottom of the shadow box are attached to the uprights by sliding dovetails as are the shelves. It will probably hang on the wall and I didn't want the weight to pull it apart nor did I care to use screws.

Anyway, this is the last project for a couple of weeks. I have to leave for work this evening. Thanks for looking.

Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

clww

That's a fine looking shadow box. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

TF......your work shows pride and perfection!
Very, V E R Y nice job.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Cody,

That is very beautiful!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

Great job Cody and what a nice way to honor a Veteran.

thecfarm

A very nice idea. Wood came from their from thier land, a nice touch. May want to put a note in the draw stating that. By the way nice draw pull.Things like that can somehow get forgotten over the years. I would like to see that that with our American flag and his great medals in it. It looks good now,but with all of that it would really look great.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bill Gaiche

Very thoughtful and beautiful. bg

metalspinner

Beautiful work, Tree Feller. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

T Welsh

Tree Feller, If you don't mind I,m going to copy your flag case design for my fathers flag and service medals. My middle brother has the flag and actual medals and I have been toying with the idea of a case,but I have not seen one that I like. Until now. It will be a fitting tribute to a man that had severed his country with honor. Thanks for the inspiration! Tim

sandhills

And I will state once again, I wish I had half the talent you folks on here do.  That's very nice work and an even nicer tribute Tree Feller, I hope you're as proud as they will be.

Tree Feller

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments. I do woodworking as a hobby and thoroughly enjoy it but it's nice to have other woodworkers compliment one's work. It means a lot.

Tim, I'm flattered that you want to copy the design. Go right ahead as it's simply a compilation of other designs I looked at before starting the build.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Thank You Sponsors!