iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 031AV

Started by mrcaptainbob, October 26, 2004, 10:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

It's an old one, but always ran great. 20" bar. Always used the Stihl oil for the mix. Couple days ago it was setting on the ground idling, when it just slowed down and stopped. Almost like out of gas, but wasn't. Today I reassembled it and put fresh gas and oil in. It won't kick at all. I think it's electrical. I can check for spark, but I'm sure I won't find any. How would I trace out this issue? Where would I go to find what the gap for the flywheel magnet is? How would I know if the coil is pooped? Thanks in advance for any help....

Kevin

QuoteWhere would I go to find what the gap for the flywheel magnet is?
No further than right here.  ;D

air gap is .008"- .012".
You can check the electrical with an ohm meter and a test plug is quick.
Check the switch and wiring as well.

Corley5

Sparkplug ???  That's what I'd do first if you haven't already
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Minnesota_boy

Fuel filter would be next, if you haven't replaced it already.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

mrcaptainbob

Jeeeez! What took you guys so long?!! ;D  Thanks for the quick responses. I did check the fuel filter and that's fine. But what's this about a new spark plug? D'ya think four seasons is too much on this one? Ohhh all right. I'll have t' break into the retirement funds and see if I can get one. Well, there goes the wife's b'day present!
I'll check the airgap and the switch. It's so strange how it quit. Just sittin' there idling and simmered down like it ran out of gas. By the way, it has great compression, is getting spark and almost fired today! So, we're making progress.
Thanks again for the help......

Minnesota_boy

If you want to try something dumb that might tell you lots quick, take the spark plug out and dump in about a tablespoon of mixed fuel.  Put the plug back in and try starting it.  That's way too much fuel so it will be flooded.  Leave the choke pushed in and open the throttle a bit so it can clean itself out.  Should start in 5 to 10 pulls and quickly run out of fuel if the filter or carburetor screen is plugged.  If it keeps running, hmmmmm I don't know what is wrong with it.

mrcaptainbob

It has 140psi. I believe there to be a spark, but I'll check again tomorrow. I reset the coil so as to be .010 from the flywheel. It was closer to .012 before. Fresh fuel mix. Cranked 'till my shoulder socket has much more free space now. Spritzed some fuel in the carb and that didn't help. I'll try the tablespoon route tomorrow. Sure don't want to end up taking it to a shop.

mrcaptainbob

Carburetor screen...hmmmm, seems like I remember running into something like that a long time ago. I did take that Walbro apart and found that screen to be almost totally clogged! Also found most of the fuel seeped out overnight as well. There was a real small booger of casting on the inside of the tank bottom that was the top side of a hole. It must've just lately chatterred it's way open. After almost 30 years! JB Weld will rescue that. Will button it back up Monday and see if we met with success. Thanks for the help.......

mrcaptainbob

All the holes are patched in the tank, now. New plug. Set the air gap. Fresh fuel mix. Put some fuel directly in cylinder. Used other arm to equalize shoulders. Won't 'hit'. Pulled plug and wrapped a wire around it's base and grounded the other wire end to crankcase. No spark.  It doesn't appear that there's much else to check anymore. The plug wire appears to be okay, although it does look like it only straddles a small pin in the coil socket, but would still conduct. I checked the kill switch continuity and it's working as it should. What's left? What might I be missing?

Minnesota_boy

The new electronic ignition puts out such a tiny (but very hot) spark that you could easily miss it if it wasn't real dark out.  Disconnect the kill switch and check the spark again, just to rule out the switch.  

mrcaptainbob

I'll disconnect that switch next. Hope that's it!

dozerdan

mrcaptainbob
 The 031 was manufactured from 1971-1982 and it did go thought some changes over those years. They built the 031, 031AV, 031Q, 031E. The first 031s didn't have electronic ignition, they still used points. The second design was a two piece electronic ignition system, it used a trigger assembly under the flywheel and the outside coil. The third was the normal electronic system that was one piece, just like most saws built today. If you are real lucky, you have the first design and the points are just bad. Points and condensers for those saws a real expensive. When I get them in here and the points have a problem, I just remove the points and change them over to the Atom module. The module will replace the points and condenser. If your coil is bad, you will probable have to find a used one. Stihl no longer produces any coils for the 031s and there are no after market coils available for that saw.
 You may want to look on Ebay for a parts saw. They do come up sometimes with bad pistons, just make sure it was spark. You can use any of the above systems in any 031.
 If you have any questions, just give me a ring.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

mrcaptainbob

How would I check the coil, DozerDan? I plan to temporarily remove the kill switch wire as it has a fair sized crack in the insulation. I may replace it. You mentioned there was a trigger assembly under the flywheel. Is it possible that trigger assy could've quit working? Do I remove the flywheel to check? If so, What's the procedure for popping that off? Thanks for all the help.

dozerdan

Hi
 OK, lets go one step at a time. LOL
 Look at the coil close and tell me if there are any small wires that go toward the flywheel.
Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

mrcaptainbob

Well, DozerDan, you, Kevin and your helpers helped me meet some success today. I took it apart (again) so as to check out those wires. They do, by the way, go into the backside of where the flywheel is. But as I was looking at it, I saw that the airgap was WAY too much. Far more than .012 max. So I took the coil off, cleaned stuff up and set it to .006. Put some fresh fuel in the chamber, and by the fifth pull IT HIT!!!!! chucked the blade in the vise and set the carb hi/low screws and commenced-a-cuttin'!  Was going along fat, dumb and happy, and after about an hour and a half, it died! Oh well, there's always tomorrow!

mrcaptainbob

It runs fine as long as I squirt the fuel into the carb! So it up and quit drawing fuel from the tank. I guess it's time to rebuild that Walbro. Will start searching tonight for a carb kit.

tshanefreeman

Seeing how no one has mentioned this ... I thought that I would!

It sounds as though your saw is running fine for a while, but quits after idling for a period of time.

I would check the spark arrestor.  If you let any saw idle for too long, you will have major carbon build up in the arrestor screen.  I know this for a fact because it happened to me this summer while I was doing boulevard pruning.  I hooked the saw on the side of the bucket while I manouvered the bucket throughout the crown.  Anyway, my Stihl MS200 finally became so plugged up that it took a new plug and a spark arrestor cleaning or pulling to remedy the problem.

Just thought I fill you in on my experience.....
T. Shane Freeman
Total Landscape Solutions
...Providing Professional Tree Care Services, Landscape Design & Installation, and Turfgrass Management.

...Helping Canadians Preserve Their Investment.

mrcaptainbob

This is getting to be too much, already. After getting that carb reassembled and reinstalled, the dang machine still wouldn't fire up. I noticed a lot of movement the sparkplag and it's mounting surface were doing while I'm jerking the starter rope. Found it too be 'wiggly'. Okay..took it all apart AGAIN only to find the head bolts were loose! What the hell?!! The last time they came loose was about 15 years ago! So why now? Oh well, popped the jug off, will install new rings and gasket tomorrow. Might as well, seein' as how I'm all ready that far into it!

mrcaptainbob

Well, I'll be dipped! I found a place nearby in Spring Arbor that repairs Stihl! Ordered a new set of rings and head gasket for the old saw. With those new parts, repairing the fuel tank leaks, and your fine help here, that saw is working GREAT! I swear, that thing sounds soo good!!! Maybe because I haven't heard it in so long!, but, it does zip through the oak without stumbling! Thanks again for all your help! :) :)

Don_N6CRV

Hello Bob, are you talking about the Lumber yard in Spring Arbor? There is also a good place for Stihl in Coldwater. Glad to hear you got it going.
Don

mrcaptainbob

Yeah, Don. Spring Arbor Lumber. I'll have to check out Coldwater. We've been in this area since April of '03 and are still getting used to places. Thanks for that info.

Thank You Sponsors!