iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw service/repair CDs

Started by Chris J, October 02, 2004, 12:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris J

Hello to all.  I'm trying to get some thoughts & opinions on the repair CDs; I'm especially interested in the Jonsered disk, which I found at an eBay store for about $20.00.  Also any info on the Husky disk would be appreciated.  I have the Stihl disk, but haven't spent much time with it.  Thanks for your time.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Timber_Framer

I've seen those dics on e-bay also and for $20.00 they sound like a good deal. The only reason I haven't purchased one yet is that a friend once bought a CD service manual for Jeeps. It was a cd filled with scanned paces from actual service manuals burned to CD ::)
That and I'm a bit old fachioned, I still like books ;D
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Chris J

Thanks for the warning, Timber.  I'm partial to books myself, am much better at reading books than working on saws  :P, but I sure like the idea of reprinting what I need when my paper copy gets too dirty or tatered to use.  A lot of older models aren't on the CDs.  That's a situation where I wouldn't mind if someone scanned the old parts lists & exploded views onto CD.  My Stihl CD seems to be the real deal, not a burned copy.  The Husky disk that shows up on eBay most often is advertised as being an official disk that has been 'improved.'  Hmmm.  The jred disk is advertised as being a straight official disk.  I'm hoping that somebody here uses the disks, & is willing to offer their thoughts.  Have also read that the Husky disk can be difficult to use.

Thanks, MN
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

sawguy21

I had not thought about it but you raise a good point. Would be great to have a clean sheet to work off each time.and only print the page I need. Updating would be easy too. Hmmmm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Timber_Framer

I've purchased quite a few items through E-Bay and I have found that the majority of sellers are more than happy to answer any questions you might ask. So my advise is to click on the "Ask seller a question" box that appears on every E-bay listing and pose your concerns to the buyer. If they have a good product they will respond....if not????
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

rebocardo

On the Husky CD, if you read the fine print, what you are really getting is links to the Husky site and the Husky documents on their server.

Chris J

This' my 3rd try at posting a reply.  I confused the computer once, my fault.  Now the 2nd time the forum told me that I wasn't logged-in; I still don't understand that.

Timber:  I'm big on asking the sellers questions, & I get supicious of those who don't respond.  I like to give my business to those who act like they want it, be it eBay, Net, or in person.

Rebocardo:  My Stihl disk requires the Net to work properly.  Haven't used the disk much 'cause my Stihl fixeruppers on the shelf for now.  Maybe if I spent less time piddling around on the net....nah.

Would still like to hear from some technicians or garage mechanics that have & use the CDs.

Thanks for the input,  MN

Thank You Sponsors!