iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Try These

Started by Bill Johnson, July 11, 2001, 02:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Johnson

I was out in the field yesterday and took a couple of shots of fairly common forest plants.
I've posted them at http://ca.photos.yahoo.com/bracke_bill
if you get there click on my photos to enlarge the thumbnails just click on them.
I don't imagine it will take you too long to id them.

Bill
Bill

L. Wakefield

1st one might be water hemlock or wild parsnip (poisonous), and I think the 2nd one is gooseberry.
         lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bill Johnson

Sorry LW
The berries on the first one are supposedly edible once they are ripe. Gooseberries are usually green and somewhat transparent.
But those were good suggestions.
Bill
Bill

Tom

Of the 3 things I found that the first pix might be I'm guessing snakeroot.  I hate to shotgun it but I've got some more if that's not it. ;D

Don't have a clue on the 2nd with the red berries yet.

Bill Johnson

If folks haven't nailed them down by morning, I'll post a few hints.
I'm not sure of the range on these plants so that maybe causing problems as well.
That being said, it would be something if KiwiCharlie nailed them down.
Bill
Bill

KiwiCharlie

G'day Bill,

I had a look at the photos, and the first picture looks surprisingly like what I would call "Carrotweed" down here.  Structure is very similar, and colouring too.
However, your Common Ragweed, also known as Carrotweed, looks nothing like the Carrotweed I know!!
Hemlock is also known as Carrotweed....

So... my guess is Parsley Dropwort (Oenanthe pimpinelloides), a member of the Apiaceae family, known locally as Carrotweed.  This is the Kiwi plant, whether its the same as your one I have no idea!, but it sure looks like it.

The berry photo is foreign (!) to me though.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Bill Johnson

Hints for the plants

Plant 1:Perennial; 20-90 cm tall; erect;leafy; stem has sharp, slender spines near base;from stout underground stem
Found in sandy or rocky areaa;clearings or open forest
Roots and bark said to have been used as a historic remedy for kidney and urinary problems.

Plant 2
Distinctive skunk like odor when crushed

Bill
Bill

Tom

What's a cm Bill? :D

Bill Johnson

the opposite to no cm?? :D
Bill

Tom

CHARLIE

The second one with the berries looks like a vine growing up into a Spruce tree. Hmmm
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Bill Johnson

Ok
You guys have all been pretty close to nailing these down.

Plant 1 is known as Bristly Sarsaparilla (Aralie Hispide) also known as dwarf-elder or wild-elder.

Plant 2 is known as Skunk Currant(Gadelllier Glanduleux). It is a member of the gooseberry family, but the fruit is said to have a disagreeable taste.

Bill
 8)
Bill

Tom

Hey Bill,

Is the Bristly Sarsparilla any kin to the "drink" that was common before Root Beer took over?

Does Skunk Currant have any uses?  Do animals eat it or is it to pungent even for them?

Tom

Hey Bill,

I've been looking all over the place for a write-up o these two plants and can't find anything anywhere.

Have you any suggestions for a place to look? :-[

Bill Johnson

I can give you what information I have, I'm using a manual called Forest Plants of Northeastern Ontario by Karen Legasy, I'm not sure if copies are still available, the other manual I use is called a Field Guide to Forest Ecosystems of Nothern Ontario put out by the Northeast Science and Technology Unit of the MNR.
So if you just need a quick blurb let me know and I'll try and put something together for you.
Bill
Bill

Tom

Just a quick blurb.

I am interested in all of these plants and a short synopsis of its local folklore would be interesting to later readers of the thread I would think.

I am finding that there are so many plants that have been touted to have medicinal features throughout the years.  I am looking for one that produces Gold Apples so I can buy one of those big diesel pusher RV's. :D

Bill Johnson

I've added some new plant photos to my album. they should be fairly easy to identify.
Bill

Tom

Bill,

#5 looks like low bush blueberry.  I've eaten about 2 tons of them off of the place down here.  Is that close or do I need to go to the books when I look for the the others?  ;D

Bill Johnson

No need to look further low bush blueberry is what I would have called it.
Bill

Tom

#3 looks like a coreopsis of some sort and 4 looks familiar but I can't place it or find it.  I guess I need a hint.

Bill Johnson

Plant 3 is a non-native species, according to my book it came from Europe, however its has a cousin over here and adapted rather well.

Plant 4 is a member of the Caprifoliaceae family.

Thats the best I can do for clues short of naming them.
Bill

Bill Johnson

Just added 5 new plants to the photo album. Check them out and see which ones you can identify.
Bill

Tom

pix #6 looks like Rabbit tobacco

Bill Johnson

Number 6 is Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea). The historical note in my book says the leaves have been used as tobacco. The flowers were used to ward off evil spirits and to heal burns.

So Rabbit Tobacco may just be another name.

Bill

Tom

I never dreamed it would be so hard finding references to Rabbit Tobacco on the Web. This stuff is so common to kids in the south of my generation. :D

Gnaphalium obtusifolium
http://deepcnet.usi.edu/biology/TwinSwamps/Gnaphalium_obtusifolium.htm
http://www.altnature.com/gallery/rabbit_tobacco.htm  
mcco,
Pearly Everlasting

Thank You Sponsors!