iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1+ fun: 2=exciting: 3= interesting: 4=

Started by Frank_Pender, November 20, 2003, 04:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

I went ahead and did it. :-/  Everyone needs at least 3 Mobile Dimension Sawmills: right, right.   I have the blessing of the wife and a couple of friends in the neighborhood and I bought the only other hydraulic mill that Mobile Manufacturing has built to date.   I now have them both. :'(  

However, I will be trying to market the unit that is set up inside the mill building.   It is a Model 128 with 4' risers and 26' of track makeing it capable or sawing 24' 10" logs.
Frank Pender

J_T

Didn't know you could get to many mills. My wife is out of blessings at present :'(
Jim Holloway

Stephen_Wiley

Do you need another sawyer ..........   8)  8)  8)

Your having too much fun... guess I better come see the new one.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Frank_Pender

Strphen, it will not be here for a week or so, as  Bob, the present owner is going to haul it ot Troutdale for me and I will have Sawyer John and his fellow workers tune it up as well as put on some new belts, etc.  Then when I get it home and in the building I will be ready to go.
 Everyone has been terrific in this whole operation.  The owner is not going to be with us much longer, as he is planning his trip to see St. Peter.   he realyy wanted me to have the other mill and I am going to accomodate him as part of some of his last whishes in this world.

Sawyer John has been outstanding i helping with all the necessary record information and material for the leasing agency.  Wow what a wonderful bunch of people where he works.  
Frank Pender

Frank_Pender

Well, the mill building is empty of any sawmill, at this time.  Got the old one out last Sunday and the place is so clean and nice I hate to intrude the space with another mill.  I have gotten all of the sawdust remove down to the original rock surface and spread out some wet ground fab material.  I will put some rock down and seriously thinking of putting down a cement floor as well as a 14' to 16' apron approach out from the entry of the building.  the entry is 30' wide and 18' high.   If Paul H. does not take the mill I will have one available in the near future,; with or without the 39' trailer.

Frank Pender

ronwood

Frank_Pender,

Not knowing much about Mobil Dimension Sawmills what is the hydralics used for?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Frank_Pender

Ron, on these to mills the hydraulics are used for the following: raising and lowering the carrage and track on the end stands, loading the logs, locking  the logs in place, rolling the log or cant and adjusting the logs for taper.  Thanks for asking.
Frank Pender

ronwood

Frank

Thanks for the info. I like to learn about all the mills that are out there. Good luck with the new mill.

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

ScottAR

I too am curious.  How are these functions moved on a "regular" MD mill?  I was under the impression that these machines were somewhat automated...   Thanks in advance!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Frank_Pender

All of the hydraulick goodies are attatched to the trailer system.  On the corner of each trailer are located a riser post (about a 3" daim. steel pipe) around which is a sleeve that is connected to 3" x 7" piece of tubing that runs from side to side at each end.   The carrage track is then attatched to these tubes and moves from side to side by way of a bicycle type sprocket system with a hand crank.   Track and carrage travel up and down the riser posts via a hydraulic rak and pinion system.   I hope I have confused you toooo verrrry much. :-/
Frank Pender

ScottAR

I think I get it...  The hand crank moves the carriage laterally, and a hydraulic motor moves the carriage up and down.  

I'd guess a hydraulic motor moves the carriage down the track, and thusly down the log?  I remember reading it has a board return that sends the board toward the operator?  I'd reason there's a station somewhere on the rig for controls?

These mills seem like a good way to go.  A board a pass more or less and not too much turning the log.  

Sorry to ask so many questions, but having never been around any logging or sawmilling, I'm an absolute greenhorn.
Add with that MD's less than stellar website and I'm still scratching.   ???  This forum is great!
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Frank_Pender

Scott, as far as moveing down the track (which is about 12" square) the mill is propelled by moveing a single lever which operates a hydrostatic drive mechansim.   This system is similiar to the old fashioned shaved 2 x 4 that was used in the old days with a single blade mill that used a cart system to move the log into the saw.  When you pull the handle toward you the mill carriage moves away from you, to make sawdust.  When you release the handle the system returns, and in turn brings back the sawed piece of lumber.  There are four different speeds at which the carriage will return to you.  One wants to set that speed based on: your age, how hard you want to swet, and the size of the material you are producing.  Now, in my case I have it set at the most rapid rate possible do to the fact I am only 59 years old.  :D Younger folks would want to set the rate at a much slower rate, I am sure. ;D

As to a hydraulic motor, there is only one on the system and that is the one that powers the rak and pinion system tor raiseing and lowering the track and carriage to fitthe size of the log you are sawing.
Frank Pender

ScottAR

Many thanks for your responses,  I have a better Idea how the mill operates now.  
Scott
[Magicman]

Stephen_Wiley

Hey Scott,

Just to let you in on a little secret - Frank is stuck at 59 years young . :D  :D  

I would'nt be surprised if the "high-ball" speed control is welded in that position.   ;)
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

ScottAR

:D :D :D  I just hope I'm a high ball when I'm 59...
Scott
[Magicman]

Frank_Pender

Well, tomorrow at High Noon the new mill is mine. 8)  T he $ will have been sent to the previous owner, the insurance all taken care of and direction given to Sawmill John to go ahead and perform the tune up and new belts.  I have yet to see the mill.  I am going to have to get myself to the Mobile Dimension factory, just East of Portland at the mouth of the Columbia Gorge, Troutdale.  I am going to take one of my students from 33 years ago, along for the ride.  He is interested in acquiring a Mobile Mill.  Wise young man.  :P I tought him well. ;D
Frank Pender

DanG

Frank, I've been wanting to add  a log leveling setup of some sort to my MD, but I'm drawing a blank on a design. How did they do it on that mill?  Maybe you could get Sawmill John to take some pics for us while he has the mill? :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pasbuild

Frank-Pender
  How do you expect the Jones to keep up with you when you keep buying them all.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Frank_Pender

I am trying to kickstart the economy, here in Oregon.  We still hve the highest unemployment level in the country, at 7.6% and the highest number of hungrey school age children in the country. :'(

As to the children I have started a foundation for the school at which I tought for thirty years, to help in that catagory, but that is realllllly a hard sell due to the high unemployment in this county.   :-/

As to buying all of the MD mills, just give Sawmill John a call at 1-877-2SAWMILL and I am sure he will help you acquire a mill this next year to help with your taxes. ;D

As to the Jones' trying to stay up with me, they sold the farm up the road a few years ago and wont be back. :'(

Stephen and Scott, thank you both for the compliment.  
Frank Pender

sawmill_john

Hey Frank, I'll bring my camera in on friday and post a few pictures of your new toy.  It dosen't look new but its in pretty good shape.  If any one needs info, like Frank said call me up or check out the website.  Frank now owns the only two hydralic trailers we have made, we're working on a new hydralic package for this spring, I'll keep you informed.

John

Thank You Sponsors!