iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1/4 sawn Red Oak

Started by woodman58, December 09, 2015, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodman58

Hello everyone. Hope every one is ready for Christmas. I have an order for 1200 BF of 1/4 sawn Red Oak. My question is, is there any good videos on how to 1/4 saw. I have had it done but, I have never done it. Your help is very much appreciated. Have a great Christmas. Paul 
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

dgdrls

123maxbars

Thanks for that video. Great content.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

oakiemac

I was going to say it depends greatly on what kind of mill you are running. If a band mill the above video is very good. One my mill which has two circle  blades 90 degrees to each other its a much easier operation.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

WV Sawmiller

I haven't tried it yet but am tempted to try cutting my quarters then taking my slices off the bottom and rotating the quarter after each cut. Looks like would clamp better and would certainly provide quarter sawn lumber but might be a little tense always cutting that close to the clamp and dogs and such.

Anybody had any experience cutting from the bottom like that?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

beenthere

Works if you build a "bench" for your quarters to lay on, with a lip on the side to butt against. Won't even need to clamp the quarter.. just the bench. A bit of work sliding out the sawn board from the bottom.

On this order..

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I saw from the bottom up by turning the end around after each cut.  That way there is a flat side against the side support side and it is no problem for me to clamp.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Thanks for the kind words about the video!  There have been a lot of comments about sawing off the bottom and, as MM says, it is easier to clamp that way.  I just got into the mindset of milling from the top.  On large pieces, it is easier for me to mill off the top, since I don't have to crank the head up and down so much and the 8" depth of cut limits the size of cant that I could quarter by cutting off the bottom.

Good luck with your order, and be sure that you charge enough to cover the extra effort!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

woodman

thats the way I do it :snowball: :new_year:
Jim Cripanuk

Darrel

When I quarter saw, I first take enough off the outside to remove the sap wood then I quarter the log.  Cutting the sap wood off first makes clamping easier because each quarter has 3 flat sides.  After a few cuts, the narrow flat is gone but then the quarters are smaller and easier to flip end for end like MM says.  And yes, I also cut from the bottom.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

woodman58

Thanks everybody. I am going to start cutting this weekend.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

scsmith42

One thing to keep in mind is that QSRO shrinks 2X as much as FSRO in the drying process.  Whereas you can usually mill FSRO at 1-1/16" and end up with 1" dry boards, with QS you need to mill at least at a full 1-1/8" to net a dry 1" board and 1-3/16" is better.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Darrel

Quote from: scsmith42 on December 14, 2015, 09:45:43 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that QSRO shrinks 2X as much as FSRO in the drying process.  Whereas you can usually mill FSRO at 1-1/16" and end up with 1" dry boards, with QS you need to mill at least at a full 1-1/8" to net a dry 1" board and 1-3/16" is better.

That's true, however, width (from side to side) it doesn't shrink as much. Also there isn't as much problem with cupping and twist.
1992 LT40HD

scsmith42

Quote from: Darrel on December 14, 2015, 09:50:59 PM
Quote from: scsmith42 on December 14, 2015, 09:45:43 PM

That's true, however, width (from side to side) it doesn't shrink as much. Also there isn't as much problem with cupping and twist.

Correct, but for a miller that is not familiar with milling it the minimal cupping and side shrinkage are non-issues.  Milling thickness though is a significant consideration because if he doesn't mill the boards thick enough his customer may reject them, which would cost him a bundle.

Woodman - keep in mind that it requires about 3X to 4X the labor costs to mill QS as opposed to FS, so your board foot pricing should be commensurate.  Also keep in mind that if you leave much of a sapwood or pithwood edge your boards will most likely crook significantly during the drying process.  QS oak also dries about 15% - 20% slower than FS.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WV Sawmiller

Thanks for the info guys. Real good information.

I wonder why none of the literature and videos I have seen showed the off the bottom procedure since it seems fairly common.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Slingshot

customsawyer

There is different ways to quarter saw. My preferred method is the by making a octagon out of the log first. Many that have came to the sycamore projects have seen this method and seen how well it works. The main advantage of the octagon is it gives you those other angles needed for clamping. Dang gives the best verbal description of it that I have ever heard.  ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

The white oak log that we quartersawed at the last Sycamore Project, using the octagon method, yielded good figure in all but 6 boards.  It will deliver the highest yield, but you must really have an edger as most of the boards will need to be edged.  More true quarter with figure and less rift. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Seaman

Customsawyer, is there a video of your method, or do I have to plan on coming further south to see it done?
Frank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Darrel

Quote from: customsawyer on December 15, 2015, 03:35:01 AM
There is different ways to quarter saw. My preferred method is the by making a octagon out of the log first. Many that have came to the sycamore projects have seen this method and seen how well it works. The main advantage of the octagon is it gives you those other angles needed for clamping. Dang gives the best verbal description of it that I have ever heard.  ;D

I too would like to know more about this method of quarter sawing. I think I may have seen a few videos where this method was used but I was left wondering what in the world they were doing.

Thanks
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

customsawyer

I don't have a video of it. Maybe at the next project we can get some one to video it. If you look back at some of the past sycamore projects there is a fair amount of discussion on how it is done.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Darrel

I just read all 27 pages of "sycamore project 3" and I must say, what an awesome project!  Beautiful wood, beautiful clock, looks like a great event!  I saw one picture that gave me an idea of how it's done, but I must say:

WHAT AN ENTERTAINING READ!!! 8)
1992 LT40HD

Darrel

Now to go accomplish something and then read about the other sycamore projects.
1992 LT40HD

Thank You Sponsors!