iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found Another #!&*% Bee Nest

Started by mills, August 25, 2014, 08:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mills

I think I drove threw their nest a couple of times, and then parked the skidder right in the middle of it. I never knew they were there. Luckily, I went out the opposite door when I dismounted. I was stung only once, but they swarmed one of the front tires. Needless to say, the skidder is still in the woods and I had a nice long walk back to the landing. But...I will be back, and they're not going to appreciate the lease terms.  :snowball:

BargeMonkey

Went to start the forwarder last night around 7pm, figured I would run it 3miles up the road to the sawmill. Its close to dark, opened the doors, for some reason the BUZZ noise made me wonder. ???  White face hornets had a nest 2X football in the cab roof. They got the treatment tonight, but that wouldnt have been good.

mad murdock

This the season for bald face hornets to nest up for coming cold. I wiped out hundreds of yellow jackets ( 8-9 nests) around the eves and gutters yesterday.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

beenthere

Our yellow jackets are usually nesting in the ground, or in a hidden place of a building.
Under the eaves, we usually just have the paper wasps that build the hanging comb nest. 

This nest was a bald-face hornet nest in a tree next to the house. They claim only the queen will sting, but she is ferocious at it.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bert

I unknowingly mowed down a white faced hornets nest with the skidder blade last fall. Then proceeded to walk back through the trail and swarm to hook some logs. I had no idea they were there until I was getting whacked. If only the queen stings, there must have been about 4 of them. One sting was on the tip of my nose, I sneezed for about 6 hours.
Saw you tomorrow!

MJD

I am not sure the queen only stings, a few years back they built a nest under an eve on my moms house and she got stung so many times she was in the hospital for a few days.

mad murdock

Quote from: beenthere on August 26, 2014, 01:33:12 AM
Our yellow jackets are usually nesting in the ground, or in a hidden place of a building.
Under the eaves, we usually just have the paper wasps that build the hanging comb nest. 

This nest was a bald-face hornet nest in a tree next to the house. They claim only the queen will sting, but she is ferocious at it.

You are probably correct BT. I am no entomologist, they probably are paper wasps, I just see yellow and black and call then  yellow jackets. That is a decent sized nest in that pic! I don't care for wasps, bees are a different story, but wasps are just plain old pests, IMO. I use a little pinesol ore pine oil soap with water, and it knocks them down quick, using my pack pack sprayer and a d5 orifice, I can reach 20 feet or so.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

treeslayer2003

yep, its yellow jacket season.......i found a bunch of um yesterday, be carefull boys.

central pa

I hope you shut the skidder off.!  But I know what you mean those suckers hurt.!!

bigred1951

i try to stay away from anything that stings  :D i always swell up where i get stung and it turns red and burns and itches for a few days.

vtgreen

mad murdock, I agree they can be a pest to humans but lets all keep in mind that Wasps are caterpillar predators and caterpillars eat trees!

thecfarm

My brother,3 of them and I was getting our firewood here. We knew where there was about 6-7 hornets nest in the gorund. Might if been 10,but it was alot. We would cut a tree and it would land on the nest. Try limbing a tree and having them things come out and go after you for destroying thier home. My Father run over a nest and and tried to out run them while on the tractor. Finally he had to jump of it and run. We knew something was up when he jumped off and the tractor was still moving.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutterboy

Every one of those white faced hornets can sting and will if the nest is threatened. Mother has taught them well. However, they will leave you alone if you leave them alone.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ford_man

I'm prepared; last summer a salesman stopped at the farm and was selling Wasp&Hornet Spray I bought 100 cans for $50 I still have some left. splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley splitwood_smiley

Corley5

Bald faced hornets must all be queens  ;) ;D ;D  I dumped a load of firewood at a client's  last night and as I was walking around to open the tailgates I noticed yellow jackets swarming around a piece of firewood I'd backed over with the trailer.  I went about my business and pointed them out to the homeowner when he came out.  His wife came out a couple minutes later and we both told her about them and pointed them out however she chose to get a little too close and got zapped a couple times.   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

beenthere

Upon further searching, I learned that all the female bald faced hornets can sting, not just the Queen bee. The drones cannot, but a full hive might have 400 females. Just don't get them mad.
Summer before last, I unknowingly knocked a nest down when using the FEL and bucket to pick up boulders. The nest was about 4' above the ground.
Then found another nest (pictured) about 10' off the ground in a maple tree next to the house. Left it alone and took many pictures of the nest being added to daily. Removed it after  the fall season and in the winter when it was empty.
When the leaves fell, found another one about 8' above ground near my shed/propane tank. Didn't even know it was there but within 15' of where we always walked and moved about. No one stung. Last summer, didn't see any nests, nor any so far this summer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lynde37avery

yesterday i got into a yellow jacket nest. threw my choker chain right on it. got stung 3 times in my left arm. then had to go race thru it again to get my choker. and ran like heck. NoW their are hornets on my firewood pile all down by my landing. i dont know what to do. i bought 3 cans of hornet/wasp killer. i am terrified i am gonna get bit again and have a reaction.
Detroit WHAT?

Corley5

I took a twelve foot aluminum fishing boat, motor and trailer on trade for firewood today.  As I was checking out my new prize in the owner's yard I noticed a large hornet nest in one of the fender wells.  The owner is going to treat the nest before I pick up the boat Saturday  :) :)  No one has been stung, yet  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

tj240

found my own ground bees yesterday, got hit once moved and looked back bang two more standing on next nest took off the other way found another those tops can stay unlopped only hit 4 or five times then found two more today no stings bees suck ?@#
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

gspren

About 10 days ago I pulled a oak limb that was 5"-6" dia with my ATV to get it out of the creek and closer to where I could whack it up and I parked it on a yellow jacket nest, of course I didn't know that until I was unhooking the rope and got nailed 4 times. >:( 2 of the stings are now gone but 2 left little 1/4" crater looking marks on my leg, those 2 also hurt more. That limb will lay where it is till cold weather.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

treeslayer2003

i got it 9 times today.....they stung and chased me at least 300yds to the truck where my son helped swat um off.........i couldn't run much farther lol. can't see the funnels in these deep pine shats.
come on frost!

Autocar

Here in Ohio the yellow jackets are bad we had them over the years but this summer they seem to be every where. No fun when they get after you   :-\ .
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!