iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skid steer

Started by gtr, April 12, 2006, 12:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr

Does anybody have any experience using a skid steer in the bush. I have 20 acres to select cut, mainly pine and thinking of using a bobcat 873 to skid.

TexasTimbers

This has been covered quite a bit. Do a search and you'll get plenty of reading. The short answer is no. If it's real flat it will do in a pinch but generaly speaking a skid steer doesn't make a good skidder.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Ed

Kevjay is correct. A Bobcat will work but it isn't the preferred skidding machine. Going around the woods backwards trying to miss trees gets old real quick.

Ed

woodsteach

I know that most here don't use a skid steer but I do, but I'm small time.  I have a John Deere 317 with a grapple that I use.  Yes it is difficult backing out of the trees dragging one end of a 16' white oak but you do the best with what you have available.

I'm finishing up a 100 white oak trees job that I had to hire a dozer to make the initial trail up the hill and across the dry creek but used the grapple to make the rest of the trail. 

I drag the logs to a clearing at the top of the trail then grab the log in the middle and drive down the hill.  The first couple of trips were nerve racking but you get used to it.

So be careful and use your best judgement.

Woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

gtr

Thanks for the info. As you can probably tell I Am new to this. I started into this by buying a mill to saw some beetle kill pines on my own property.
There seems to be a real need in my area for a small selective logging operation. I really like to cut specialty lumber but I also need something to fill in the gaps. Any tips on does and don'ts, quoting pricing and general operating such a business are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GR

woodsteach

I just finished up my largest job (100 white oaks), I hope to break even :-\,  but live and learn and boy did I learn. 
Buid low when you are dealing with woods that don't have a high market.  Most stuff around here is destined for pallets or firewood and I have to bid accordingly (low bid).  Even though I "just know I can create a market for it"

Let your word be your bond even if you may come up short!

Woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!