iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

:D  but I gots my WM Way today.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Looks like the mill was chunking it out,     david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

Looks like Magic has some pretty good second growth timber coming up on the face. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Yup, that was for our Colorado trip in October.  It is gone now, but hopefully it will grow again next Fall.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Today went well but cold with a hard wind. When I got there the customer had it all stage for me

And yup the dirt was frozen on some of the logs.

I think I made more sawdust than lumber cutting all day 3/8x 4"
Did I say it was cold and the wind kept the mill clean of sawdust too.

But I did get some cut  :D :D ;D

Well Ill be back have to go sharpen some blades , Frozen dirt is hard on blades :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jim_Rogers

QuoteFrozen dirt is hard on blades :D :D :D

But you've got one of those fancy dancy debarkers..... why would you have dull blades?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

drobertson

Nice! way to chunk'em out!  Looks like a very workable area to me,, one exception,, the hard cold wind,,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good pics Pete......there's gotta be a way to run a heat blower off that Diesel.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on December 04, 2013, 06:45:07 PM
QuoteFrozen dirt is hard on blades :D :D :D

But you've got one of those fancy dancy debarkers..... why would you have dull blades?

Jim Rogers

Yes but sometimes it's the way it goes.  :D

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 04, 2013, 07:28:59 PM
Good pics Pete......there's gotta be a way to run a heat blower off that Diesel.  say_what

maybe :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

rmack

Quote from: drobertson on December 04, 2013, 07:12:32 PM
Nice! way to chunk'em out!  Looks like a very workable area to me,, one exception,, the hard cold wind,,
david

I agree, very tidy site, the customer obvious cares.  :)

btw, when it's windy cold I just put on a rain slicker over top of my insulation... works wonders stopping the wind chill.  ;)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

mesquite buckeye

Hope you ordered the official Wood Mizer heated seat option. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

You obviously were making the best of a rather unpleasant situation.  The logs looked nice anyway.   ;D

rmack

Peter, do you know offhand how long your mill is overall with the extension on it? its been nasty here lately so I'm spending some time at the computer drawing things.  :)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Peter Drouin

I will look today and let you know tonight. I'm moving logs from the wood lot today got the landing in yesterday.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

coxy

rmack

I see some trees in this picture that might not be there in the next one.  ;D

btw, if that machine goes across the bridge you built, then it must be a pretty good bridge. ;)

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Dave Shepard

The Wood-Mizer 24' extension is just a manual mill frame, which is 24' long. An LT40 is 24', plus the hitch, so the whole works is going to be about 50' long.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

Quote from: coxy on December 12, 2013, 06:50:07 AM
is that a kitty cat ;D

Yes it is  :D :D

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 12, 2013, 11:10:06 AM
The Wood-Mizer 24' extension is just a manual mill frame, which is 24' long. An LT40 is 24', plus the hitch, so the whole works is going to be about 50' long.

Daves got it 50' long  smiley_thumbsup   Hi Dave  smiley_wavy
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: rmack on December 12, 2013, 09:39:52 AM
I see some trees in this picture that might not be there in the next one.  ;D

btw, if that machine goes across the bridge you built, then it must be a pretty good bridge. ;)

The cat did and the bridge is ok  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I've given a lot of thought on how to put a building over the mill and still be able to get logs onto the extension. My primary idea is to use some W24x60 or 70 something pound beams that I have access to, but my favorite is to have a building with one 14'x14' door on the end and big enough to drive a trailer truck into and unload inside.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rmack

Quote from: Dave Shepard on December 12, 2013, 08:09:13 PM
I've given a lot of thought on how to put a building over the mill and still be able to get logs onto the extension. My primary idea is to use some W24x60 or 70 something pound beams that I have access to, but my favorite is to have a building with one 14'x14' door on the end and big enough to drive a trailer truck into and unload inside.  :D

I've been working on a solution to cover the mill and potential extension etc. this is just a preliminary sketch, but it seems to me that timber frame is an obvious option for anyone who owns a sawmill.   :)

you need sketchup to view the file, it's a free download & quite powerful drawing tool.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Peter Drouin

I used a I beam

14' high, I had the steel guy tell me how big it had to be for the snow load,
A&P saw Mill LLC.

rmack

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 13, 2013, 06:13:13 AM
I used a I beam

14' high, I had the steel guy tell me how big it had to be for the snow load,

that kind of stuff is worth it's weight in gold up here. I could probably buy an old self loader log truck for that $.

Welder Bob
1972 Patrick AR-5
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Peter Drouin

Well I had 1 1/2 days in getting the landing in and the road in.
And my logger did well

I did get the bar stuck  :D

But John helped me . I loaded the one ton with John and ran back and forth with fire wood

Then at the end of the day I left the one ton and drove John back home so I could plug it in . Too cold here. And bring home a trailer home with wood. :D

The road in was not too bad

all en all a good 4 days got 19 cords in and some logs ;D

red oak

With some ash red maple rock maple w birch and beach.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

How cold was it Pete? Good Pics!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!