iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mesquite buckeye

Not true, very hot in the summer, with big thunderstorms. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

drobertson

Not related to sawing per say, but our last lil winter blast kinda bit me in the rear.  they called for maybe 3", we got 12"  temps in the single digits,  tractor would not start, lift would not start, mill did, but does no good without a deck of logs, and the drive suffered heavily,  I'm ready for the next one,  just hope there is no next one,  I don't like it (snow/and cold) like you do Peter ;D  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

mesquite buckeye

It is good for people who love cold to live where it is cold and for those who don't to live where cold is absent. ;D ;D ;D

from the philosophy of Mesquite Buckeye, in ed
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

Some places the glaciers are thick and it is cold.  Some places it is hot.  Some places it is in-between. 

Observations from a Forestry Forum Vetern
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Live where you're happy. And the way things went today, It was a good day still.

And if a man doesn't have  challenges every day he will die :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I am challenged because my planer quite working today.  Won't start.  But, I still have a pretty good attitude.  At least I completed the Forestry Forum Christmas Contest  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2013, 09:25:46 PM
I am challenged because my planer quite working today.  Won't start.  But, I still have a pretty good attitude.  At least I completed the Forestry Forum Christmas Contest  :).

Maybe you'll come in 2nd place. Blue Creeper will get that planer running again.  :) :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on December 17, 2013, 09:25:46 PM

It's good you set a goal for the day  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on December 17, 2013, 07:02:21 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 17, 2013, 06:17:16 PM
Some days it doesn't pay  :D  -10 today, went to start the LT40 and the battery is dead, well will not turn over fast to start, got a new battery and It fired right up. Get a pine log, load the mill, the thing is sliding all over, did not think I would live longenuff to get it set. That pine is like a rock frozen hard. I cut the slab off and the sparks are flying .[Frozen mud] and the edge are as sharp as a knife. I cut the flinch and throw it down and it breaks like a piece of glass.I get the log all cut up and the snow is coming down so I'll call it a day, went to blow off the mill and on the #2 pull on the compressor and the rope is in my hand, now I have to fix that.

Why I live in sunny Tucson, AZ.  ;D Wish it would rain more though. :'(
Rather cut a cold log than a hot cactus no thanks.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Hot stickery cactus. ;D

Pays better. ;D ;D ;D

thecfarm

Peter likes to saw hemlock and white pine in the glaciered North. I know I do.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

goose63

::) ::)

[/quote]then I aint ever gona die
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Peter Drouin

I love the cold and snow for 3 months then bring on spring, In a few days the days will get longer and spring is on the way, 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

Quote from: goose63 on December 18, 2013, 03:57:40 PM

then I aint ever gona die
[/quote]

Like it  :D you have to keep your brain working or it will stop working. then what  smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
A&P saw Mill LLC.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 18, 2013, 05:25:07 PM
I love the cold and snow for 3 months then bring on spring, In a few days the days will get longer and spring is on the way, 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D

Like it  :D you have to keep your brain working or it will stop working. then what  smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy smiley_headscratch smiley_headscratch
[/quote]
Then you just trust the Accuset 2
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on December 18, 2013, 05:33:20 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 18, 2013, 05:25:07 PM

Then you just trust the Accuset 2
[/quote]

Yes,  and I still have to use my head  :D

today when I was cutting 3/8" x 4" and think I can only go down to 1' to the bed I had to look at the cut list to see what the dog board will be and fill the cut list at the same time ,and with frozen logs the clamp will not hold the ice and snow covered log, so I had to change the way I saw a log, the blade would pull the cant out of square.
It was one heck of a day  :D :D :D :D :D 8) ;D now I have to go plow the yard  :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

Then there is the infamous half frozen logs! accuset was doing its best, managed 27% over cut on some pine, pitchy, real pitchy and half froze, another challenge? I reckon, after an 9 hour day in the shop I was kinda hoping for some smooth sailing,   pizza and to bed,  go again tomorrow,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on December 18, 2013, 09:12:48 PM
Then there is the infamous half frozen logs! accuset was doing its best, managed 27% over cut on some pine, pitchy, real pitchy and half froze, another challenge? I reckon, after an 9 hour day in the shop I was kinda hoping for some smooth sailing,   pizza and to bed,  go again tomorrow,   david

That's what it's all about. 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

I think the cold and frozen ash logs had something to with breaking 4 blades today  :D :D

And it; s really bad when you just sharpen the thing. Why can't they break when they're dull . :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

That wouldn't be any fun.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Nomad

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 19, 2013, 06:46:05 PM

And it; s really bad when you just sharpen the thing. Why can't they break when they're dull . :D :D :D ;D

It's like hitting metal.  It just don't work that way. :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 19, 2013, 06:49:12 PM
That wouldn't be any fun.  :)
[/quot

But the money was good  :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

I would rather saw  full frozen the half, but then I don't like that much either,    david

5quarter

It'd be nice if you only broke the dull blades, but then again, if they were dull, they wouldn't be on your mill.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

backwoods sawyer

We are out on a road trip, 200+ miles up the coast, ice down to the beach.
Milled a batch of coastal stressed Doug fir, all 20'. Smallest was 20" couple were 36".
Then we milled a batch of spruce, same kind of logs, lot of grits in these logs, went thru half a box of saws.
Then we moved inland a few miles and milled up a truck load of western red cedar salvage logs, little Jo has taken to the control panel and keeps the saw in the wood, these logs had been buried in a mud slide so rocks were in every nook and cranny, zing zing :-\
Moving the mill again in the morning, another batch of western red cedar on down the road.
Phone has been ringing steady since we pulled onto town, had to start scheduling round two for next month, this ol mill has been from coast to coast.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Thank You Sponsors!