iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Way to go Peter.....WOODMIZER should cover those wires with a cup on all the mills.
I think I'll bring that up and the next ORANGE meeting.  :D

.....are you out of blades?  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Peter, I'm guessing that the Debarker will not plow through that frozen mess??  Of course I have seen embedded rocks that it did not get either.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 23, 2014, 07:26:00 PM
Way to go Peter.....WOODMIZER should cover those wires with a cup on all the mills.
I think I'll bring that up and the next ORANGE meeting.  :D

let me know when it is  :D

Quote from: Magicman on January 23, 2014, 07:29:37 PM
Peter, I'm guessing that the Debarker will not plow through that frozen mess??  Of course I have seen embedded rocks that it did not get either.   :-\

even when I go slow it don't make it to the bark. But what to do I have to get the order out.
Maybe one big debarker for the hole log  :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mesquite buckeye

I don't know how you can stand it. I would be waiting for the thaw. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 25, 2014, 03:23:42 PM
I don't know how you can stand it. I would be waiting for the thaw. ;D

Well it's not to bad and I like a test  :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

backwoods sawyer

It was such a nice sunny spring like day that the bee's were flying, T shirt weather ;D

had some figure in these logs, 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

It's always a nice surprise.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mesquite buckeye

Cha ching! ;D

What kind of tree is that?
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

backwoods sawyer

The ol boy in the boots found this batch of coastal maple in the chip pile on a logging site. Bought all he could get on a log truck for chip price and had it taken home, considered making firewood out of it until his boy who is building timber frame homes stopped in for a visit and insisted on having it milled up. This log had enough figure like shown in it to do a full set of kitchen cabinets. Another log made a stack of one live edge slabs 20-24" 14' long for counter tops, rest made flooring. It all went to the kiln today.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

It looks like uncovering buried treasure.   ;D

backwoods sawyer

Today while milling up a batch of Oak found three chinquapin in the deck. It is not a wood that I see a lot of so got some pictures to share. Might add it was an awsome milling site with a good veiw.

WDH

Do you know what species of chinquapin that it was?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoods sawyer

Chrysolepis chrysophylla, the golden chinquapin or giant chinquapin:
A tree reaching 20–40 metres (66–130 ft) tall,

backwoods sawyer

virginia tech tree ID app :P

Chinkapin is an evolutionary link between the oaks and chestnuts. Chinkapin fruits closely resemble those of chestnuts. They are triangular nuts borne inside sharp, spiny burrs. Their twigs resemble those of oaks - with clustered buds and star-shaped piths. Only one species of chinkapin is native to North America. It is called the golden chinkapin and it occurs in Oregon.

Size: Grows to 150' tall and 6' in diameter. Grows as a shrub at high elevations.

Leaves: Simple, alternate, evergreen. Lanceolate; 2"-5" long; stiff and leathery; green above and golden below; smooth margins.

Fruit: Sharp, spiny burr with 1-2 triangular nuts.

Twigs: Yellow, star-shaped pith.

Bark: Deeply furrowed and ridged; 1"-2" thick.

Distribution: Grows over most of western Oregon below 5,000 feet and at scattered points on the east slopes of the Cascades; it also grows throughout California.

mesquite buckeye

I believe your app is in error. There is an additional species, my book lists another one as Castanopsis sempervirens. Castanopsis is the old genus name. I didn't check to see if the two species were later merged. That one is called bush chinkapin, also from the Pacific Coastal ranges.

Also, there are several trees called chinkapins from the Eastern US that are members of the genus Castanea. :P

Just sayin.... ;D

barbender

Frozen mud is really tough on blades, you wouldn't think it would make much difference but it is like cutting concrete (for you southern fellas that don't see frozen mud very often). I'd have to agree that Peter is tough out there cutting on those days where the temp is hovering around 0° :o
Too many irons in the fire

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on February 02, 2014, 09:34:34 PM
I believe your app is in error. There is an additional species, my book lists another one as Castanopsis sempervirens. Castanopsis is the old genus name. I didn't check to see if the two species were later merged. That one is called bush chinkapin, also from the Pacific Coastal ranges.

Also, there are several trees called chinkapins from the Eastern US that are members of the genus Castanea. :P

Just sayin.... ;D

you are right. I dug into some of my old forestry books, and found the "APP" falls short of being a complete list.

Peter Drouin

Had a customer brought me some logs today to cut. I did not say anything about size to him.  :D :D :D :D ::)

W pine top end

Red oak

And a bunch of cherry. :D :D
I think I will have to cut the pine in half.  ::) :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

This might just be the motivation you need to trade up to the LT70 Wide Head. ;) :snowball:

I'd like some nice clear 40" pine butt logs to sink my teeth into. food6
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

And I check them and no steel. Ay 70 wide head.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

What did he want them cut into?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

You may get a little fair-good lumber from those. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Logs that big are not fun to mill, but soooo much wood when you get done. ;D

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 06, 2014, 06:02:08 PM
What did he want them cut into?
[/quote

2" on the oak and 1" for the Pine and cherry
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

Peter,I heard there wll be one in Chesterville,Maine at an orange open house in April.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!