iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

When splitting the big ones I started making a second cut for the half to sit on

then placing them on the mill with the square side to the dogs

However that does not keep me from yelling Nooooooooooooooo when I grab the wrong lever  :-\

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

I have to be careful during those times when I am off of the mill and operate the hydraulic controls with my left hand, or maybe when a crowd has gathered and you get distracted.   :o   :D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Mercy sakes!  you men are getting down and dirty on the big ones! them things will cause all sorts of verbal utterances,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bandmill Bandit

Since most of what I cut is over size I used to yell a lot of things not the least of which was NOOOOOOO! 

Now i set up and TRY to roll them BACK toward the FULLY raised loader with the clamp all the way in BEFORE i apply any lift? Doesnt always work quite the way you plan it and the "NOOOOOOO" words fly once more.

looks like a very nice batch of lumber came out of that one.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

Had a customer drop off some 26' hemlock today. He wants 8"x14" timbers all side wood 2". They came on a back loader.That thing got to be  a 30' bed

A little fog this morning  :D
Then  another truck came with logs for me to buy . kinder small but that's ok.
Sometimes I need all the logs I can get . :D :D

It been a busy day. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

mesquite buckeye

Am I mistaken or is it getting a bit warmer there? 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

Last load going out before mud season.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

highleadtimber16

Peter, You should change your name to highballer!
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

WDH

Peter,

You don't mess around!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

And when I was loading him this showed up and I had no room for the logs . so I had the logger put them buy the green house. Now I have to move them  :-\

A&P saw Mill LLC.

5quarter

Peter...Between you and Lyle, I'm plum wore out... hurt_smiley
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Peter Drouin

Some days all I do is scale and grade logs and don't get none cut  ::)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Somebodys gotta do it. If you do it, at least you know its done right.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

How do you grade softwood? Do you have length and diameter cutoffs? Knottyness coefficients? :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 14, 2014, 08:42:44 PM
How do you grade softwood? Do you have length and diameter cutoffs? Knottyness coefficients? :D

I grade Pine by length, diameter, knots, taper, damage.

Dave Shepard

I would hope so, I've seen the trailer loads of pine you get. :o :D

Around here there's usually two grades of pine, 12'x12" and up, and everything else. The good stuff just about pays for the logging and trucking, and the low grade should only put you in the hole about $100 a thousand. :D Oh, and don't think there is any left for the land owner. :-\ About the only time you can move pine is if there is a Christmas tree truck headed home or some crazy timber framer is looking for something. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Dave Shepard on March 14, 2014, 08:51:10 PM
I would hope so, I've seen the trailer loads of pine you get. :o :D

What I buy is good logs....what I get free.....well, that's a different story.  :D

Dave Shepard

Yeah, that free stuff is usually worth what you pay for it. ;)

Peter Drouin

Pine logs 2" knots and smaller .30
3" and bigger .15
All hemlock .22
All logs 10" and up to 30"
Hardwood, Then how many faces are clear.

But price can change, if you can show me [nice wood]  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dbergum

I'm kind of jumping into the middle of an old post here, but could a guy glue and nail some OSB or plywood to the bottom of a cookie like this and have that keep the top from splitting?  Also, how do you mill them?  Do you have to chainsaw them down to short enough to sit up on the mill, or can you let it hang down through the frame?  I only have about 100 hours on my mill, so I don't have much experience with them yet. 

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 21, 2013, 08:24:39 PM
Had a customer want some cookies out of hemlock, I told him they will split but he said that will be ok, all 5" tall

70 of them :D

do any of you know what this is for

the bar is about 10lb and the tip is 2" or so wide and was made with the bend in it, and a T on the outher end

thecfarm

Dbergum,welcome to the forum. What kind of mill-size you have?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dbergum

Woodmizer LT35.  So far I have been cutting loads of fir brought in from the mountains to sell as 2 x 8 plank for corrals and windbreak runners.  We have also hauled it out to the breaks to cut pine for the 1" windbreak boards.  We quickly found out how quickly pine can begin to rot or mold when stacked wet.  I'm located in central Montana in the Missouri breaks, so Ponderosa Pine is plentiful. 

thecfarm

Have you read up on stickering on here?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

I cut them with a chainsaw, then set them on the mill to make a flat cut. And OSB is good for nothing .I Stay away from it . Go with maybe a 1" board. I think it will crack.  :)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Quote from: Dbergum on March 20, 2014, 03:26:51 PM
I'm kind of jumping into the middle of an old post here, but could a guy glue and nail some OSB or plywood to the bottom of a cookie like this and have that keep the top from splitting? 

No.  It will still crack.  Mother Nature intends for all log cookies to crack, and you can't fool Mother nature. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!