Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Well the day started out busy.

Empty, and go get more. :D :D

I cut a log today that had red rot  >:(

W pine, I remember that log. I saw the red rot and - ½ the BF . But I lost money on that log . It was all rot.
Trying to keep wood ahead and the mats to is a hand full at times.

I clean the mill at the end of every day. 150 PSI. and I like to get in the small spots too.

Now it's clean :D :D :D

I started the saw dust building. :D
And fix the road

See the 4' grade stake by the truck that's how far the mill shed is going. The 4' roof that's there now is coming off.

You can see some of the 6x6x16' rafters. And my 24' ridge pole.3x8x24'  :D ;D

A Day cutting wood smiley_horserider
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

5quarter

Peter...If I had 3 guys like you workin for me, I wouldn't need 3 guys.  ;) :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

drobertson

Quote from: 5quarter on June 17, 2014, 12:57:19 AM
Peter...If I had 3 guys like you workin for me, I wouldn't need 3 guys.  ;) :D :D
I'd go fishing, ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

Looks like a well oiled machine.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Peter, do you have any problems with mold?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 17, 2014, 05:46:10 PM
Peter, do you have any problems with mold?

Some, but it's from the rain. If I keep the lumber dry Im good.
The new addition will keep all this dry.

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

A small job, all red pine.

Be done Tuesday :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

I've got 2 Red Pine sawjobs coming up, first is about 2,500 bf 2x6's and 1Xwhatever, the second is 10,000 bf of 2X & 1X, then a bunch of D-Logs.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

Lately I have been cutting a lot of red pine . We have a bug killing them in NH. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

A logger friend came in with this

You can see the outside 4" of the slabs with all the curl . Hard maple.
The pics don't show how nice it is, But I have not seen this nice in a long time.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

backwoods sawyer

Peter you don't see wood like that very often, should make a nice project.

Milled a Pondaros Pine yesterday, it was all the old two wheel drive Kabota with rear forks could do to nudge it around on the hill side. The pine boards just glisten from all pitch ::)
The customer had built a solar kiln since I last milled for him, only down side to it is the little door to load and unload it thru it has maple in it from the last milling we done and he showed off a real nice end table made out of Madrone but the pic did not turn out do to lighting. He has more trees ;D 

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

Hot to today, but did get some pine cut and logs scaled. :D

I found a w pine that got hit by lightning, But it cleaned up well.
Sometimes not. And I'm pith at myself for not seeing it when I scaled it.  It could have been junk, Just as easy. :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

tule peak timber

Nice shots around your mill ! ;D Personally ,I'm eying that air-conditioned JD in the background . Hot as heck here  8)
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Peter Drouin

Quote from: tule peak timber on July 01, 2014, 10:31:34 PM
Nice shots around your mill ! ;D Personally ,I'm eying that air-conditioned JD in the background . Hot as heck here  8)

It was 50° in John today.  :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

tule peak timber

I'm moving out of my house and into your JD !!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  92 in here tonight -----
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

GDinMaine

Peter,
What would be the sign of lightning struck log (tree) when looking at the end of the log?  The picture you posted gives an excellent example of what the bark looks like.  How does it or does it show in the log ends?
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Peter Drouin

Quote from: GDinMaine on July 03, 2014, 07:45:31 AM
Peter,
What would be the sign of lightning struck log (tree) when looking at the end of the log?  The picture you posted gives an excellent example of what the bark looks like.  How does it or does it show in the log ends?

With soft wood it can be hard, but there will be a rot line.
Hardwood will be all split, I'm not sure why, But lightning will go all over with a hardwood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Did a delivery today 550 bf of w oak 4x 5/4 10' and 12'
Went to a timber frame I cut out. This last winter.

All the 45° are red oak the frame is w pine.

The timber framer has 2 more to put up and one to move and one to fix. Told me to get a lot of hemlock. :D :D can do. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

I am sure that makes you proud.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I like your style Peter.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ozarkgem

I like your signs telling what is in the lumber stack. I may steal the idea. Timber frame homes are kick ash. Cool as can be.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on July 07, 2014, 08:27:07 PM
I am sure that makes you proud.

Quote from: Magicman on July 07, 2014, 08:50:13 PM
I like your style Peter.   ;D

I try to do a good job like you two guys do.
WDH I do have a lot of pride in the thing I do, Maybe too much, I have a tendency to show off some. :D :D
You know when I cut all the timbers I made sure they were square, And the framer had a guy use a hand plane on all 4 faces and 45° the corners. So to make them look old :D :D
There must be timber frames down there too, Or is it a northern thing?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: ozarkgem on July 07, 2014, 08:51:09 PM
I like your signs telling what is in the lumber stack. I may steal the idea. Timber frame homes are kick ash. Cool as can be.

It keeps me on John, And not up and down all day.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

Nothing wrong with being proud. It is all hard  work, and dedication to it.  Keep it going as I see it, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DeerMeadowFarm

Nice work and photo documentation Peter. I enjoy seeing what you've been up to!

Thank You Sponsors!