Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

½" lag will slow you down some  :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

backwoods sawyer

That lag bolt did not do as much damage to the saw a hitting a section of fencing did ::)

Todays milling was Pine siding 1x12's 12'-16' long. The total bft was 4,750, and a pile of sawdust.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

4x4American

I went and looked at two jobs today.  One was a bonus.  I went to see one guy's header, it's tight quarters and on a slope.  The logs are ugly lookin, and in a mess too.  He said he cut them down a little over a year ago.  Mostly white pine, a few red pine, spruce and a popple or two here or there.  I told him to play pickup sticks, get all the logs in one place maybe level it out a bit more with the backhoe and give me a call send some pictures.  He said he'll get right on it today.  Come anytime I want with the mill he'll leave the backhoe there with the keys in it use it all I want.

His Neighbor came by, I went over to his place.  Lots of hemlock.  A couple look well past their expiration date.  He wants me to drop a bunch of the big girls.  I told him to hire a logger or an arborist, I don't like to drop trees where theres houses and powerlines around.  Anyways, he had a nice setup, I can use that same backhoe from down the road. 

Both of these guys are for 50/50 swap.  Which is fine for right now because I need to build a port for my mill and a wood shed, and a couple other projects.  I gave that guy my card he kept saying he knows this guy and that guy who need milling.  He said oh the 50/50 or 60/40 is great because most people round here can't pay cash but sure can swing the swap....welp...once I get going it'll be cash on the barrel head son.  This sawmill gets paid to run.  If I could pay my loan off in wood that'd be great.  I don't really have a great setup here for selling lumber, nor do I really want to. 

Anyways...
Boy, back in my day..

thechknhwk

Some pics of a job I did earlier this summer.   The customer recovered all of these from blowdowns from a tornado.  I sawed over 1400bf the first time I was there then came down to this pile and had it scaled at 1700bf w/the FF calculator, but when I was done we counted up over 2700bf, so about 4200bf total at this location.  It was the nicest pine I have seen to date.

beenthere

Hope your client got his pine stickered good for drying. Looks temporary, at best, in the pics.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

That's a nice whack of nice pine, cknhwk. I've got a few nice sticks I'm going to slice this afternoon.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Really nice pine.

Backwoods, that is a whack of sawdust.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

That's a whack of pine for sure! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Today I had an order and ran short on 8' and 10' pine logs.
So I went to my friendly neighborhood landing and got some   :D :D ;D

I know too much, But it was a mile away. 680 BF :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now there's a "WHACK ON WHEELS".  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

I like the rope tie downs !
Tied the old school way :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 08, 2014, 08:17:32 PM
I like the rope tie downs !
Tied the old school way :)

That's me, old school :D :D
I see customers all the time, can't tie a knot :D :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

clww

That's a load! 8) Good thing it was pine.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

barbender

Do I see a "wagoneer's hitch"? ???
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

A movers hitch. Can get the rope as tight as you want. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

It's the best way to tie lumber or ladders on a truck rack .
I learnt it from an old lumber delivery driver when I was a kid .
The young guys that work with me don't know what rope is.
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bruno of NH on September 09, 2014, 05:28:50 PM
It's the best way to tie lumber or ladders on a truck rack .
I learnt it from an old lumber delivery driver when I was a kid .
The young guys that work with me don't know what rope is.
Bruno

They all use ratchet straps now or bungees :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

backwoods sawyer

Also note the type, size and length of rope used to tie the logs down. A section of rope like that with the  Knowledge to use it is a handy tool indeed ;)

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

Thanks backwoods.
It's funny, I have ratcheted straps and never use them :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

Sometimes the ratchet straps are worse than changing the grease tube in a grease gun  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

Just keep them lubricated and feed the strap in the right direction and they are great.
al glenn

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WDH on September 10, 2014, 07:16:37 AM
Sometimes the ratchet straps are worse than changing the grease tube in a grease gun  :).

Don't bring that up again, ever.......

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

"Grease Guns -N- Grits".  Maybe Jim -N- Danny could play at the next Git Together.   fiddle-smiley smiley_guitarist smiley_trap_drummer smiley_singsongnote02
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Just wondering, is this movers hitch the same as the Bolin hitch knot?  ropes are handy, and ratchet straps are too, applications and requirements often dictate which are used.   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!