Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Better get them blades all sharped!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on April 27, 2015, 09:59:50 PM
Better get them blades all sharped!

I could if you stop calling me. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I for one are glad to see pics of your place without snow.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on April 27, 2015, 10:11:33 PM
I for one are glad to see pics of your place without snow.  :)

Me too :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

:D :D :D  Hey now you didn't have ta return my call!
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

I still have a pile of snow in my yard but it's getting shorter every day.

I had a customer call me today and wanted a lot of 2by red oak planks for a low bed.
It is stripped and he wants it yesterday.
I told him I could start it tomorrow, and he asked if he could pick it up Wednesday. I said yes, next Wednesday. He didn't like that idea.
He's moving on and getting it from someone else.
I felt like telling him "lack of planing on your part, doesn't make it an emergency on my part".....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

I bet he calls you back Jim. But you're right, His emergency is not yours. :D :D :D
I get customers try it with me too, I bet we all do.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Big time.  It is crazy to me how poorly some people plan these sort of projects in advance.  Wouldn't you think that if you're taking the decking off, you might should have the new lumber ready to put on?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on April 27, 2015, 10:46:24 PM
Big time.  It is crazy to me how poorly some people plan these sort of projects in advance.  Wouldn't you think that if you're taking the decking off, you might should have the new lumber ready to put on?

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.

thecfarm

It's not just the lumber business either. I have people walk into the hardware store just about every day wanting something today. I can understand the plumbing jobs that gets worse as the "repair" job goes on.  ;D  We are only a small store, not a store that has a roof an acre in size on top.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tom L

the six pee's

proper planning prevents p*&}{ poor performance

happens every day here at the shop, the guys in the field don't need something until they go to put it in.
then all wonder where it is, then make it an emergency to get it on site because it is so important, and holding up the entire job.

Jim_Rogers

Normally I have some leftover timbers in the stack that I can go and get and put back on the mill and slice off one or two pieces to satisfy the "I need it now" customer.
I searched my piles and found one timber that would only make two pieces of the 12 he needed.
So that really didn't help.

I have another customer who ordered some 2x10 white oak planks for sill stock for a timber frame cabin he's going to build.
I cut up one 16' long log to make pieces for it.
The cabin is 18' x 25' and he needs 86 lineal feet of 2x10's as I figure it.
I got four 2x10x16 out of this log and two 8' pieces. I'm only 6 lineal feet short of the 86 needed.
Now he says he doesn't want to piece together short pieces as he has to drill holes into a stone foundation to secure the sill stock to the rocks. And he doesn't want to drill a lot of extra holes due to short pieces.
I've asked him what lengths does he expect to get from me.
I haven't heard back from him yet.
If he's going to reject these pieces due to them not being the exact lengths he wants I could have sold them to this "need it yesterday" guy.
You can't seem to win some days.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on April 28, 2015, 09:38:32 AM
I have another customer who ordered some 2x10 white oak planks for sill stock for a timber frame cabin he's going to build.
I cut up one 16' long log to make pieces for it.
The cabin is 18' x 25' and he needs 86 lineal feet of 2x10's as I figure it.
I got four 2x10x16 out of this log and two 8' pieces. I'm only 6 lineal feet short of the 86 needed.
Now he says he doesn't want to piece together short pieces as he has to drill holes into a stone foundation to secure the sill stock to the rocks. And he doesn't want to drill a lot of extra holes due to short pieces.
I've asked him what lengths does he expect to get from me.
I haven't heard back from him yet.
Jim Rogers

So, this beginner timber framer just emailed me that he expects me to supply him with two pieces 18' long and two pieces 25' long for his sills for his cabin.
We'll have to see if he'll accept the "real life" deals.

Jim Rogers

Magicman

I'll bet something like, "pay in full before I open a log".
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Magicman on April 28, 2015, 02:07:05 PM
I'll bet something like, "pay in full before I open a log".

In my area it is very hard to find tall straight white oak logs that will make 16' lengths. I can't even imagine a log that would make 2x10's 25' long. That would be huge at the butt end.

Hopefully he'll agree to take these and take two more 9' pieces to finish off his order.

Jim Rogers

Dave Shepard

Not that I'll catch up to Peter, but I got a load and a half of logs today.  :D Please excuse the slab pile disarray. It was a long winter, and sometimes the slabs didn't want to come out of the snowbank in an orderly fashion. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Peter Drouin

That looks like some nice wood. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

Some nice stuff, and some firewood. A friend had about a dozen trees taken down in front of his garage. We burned the tops, and he had to truck the logs away. I helped buck the logs to get what I wanted out of them, he paid trucking. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Thats a deal I wouldn 't refuse!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Another way to move the wood, A customer sent a truck the get some lumber and slabs.
Over the top. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It works :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Good job.  How many tries did it take to get that slab chain centered?   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2015, 09:13:45 AM
Good job.  How many tries did it take to get that slab chain centered?   :D

The first time, ;D

Had some very valuable walnut come in today

A&P saw Mill LLC.

WDH

A little sappy, there, Partner. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Peter Drouin

Quote from: WDH on May 07, 2015, 08:41:22 PM
A little sappy, there, Partner. 

Yes it is , But the customer want's it cut and at $75.00 an hr I don't care. Cut into 1" and ½"
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

There you go Peter, that is my standard answer.  No matter what they want or what they are gonna do with it.  Saw it and get paid.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!