iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on May 10, 2015, 07:09:45 AM
Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2015, 09:38:41 PM
It won't do any good because that lumber is now a Cabin Addition.   :)
Here, photos constitute evidence.  ::)
Where have you been ???   :D  Cabin Addition   Check Reply# 25 and Reply# 29 for those particular pictures.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

Quote from: WDH on May 10, 2015, 11:49:56 AM
Quote from: 4x4American on May 10, 2015, 11:11:43 AM
  No nails....we'll see! 

Oh no, Sir, there are no nails in that tree.........Famous last words (Old Saying). 

If you tell me that there are absolutely no nails in that tree, I will not trust you with my daughter  :D.

Peter already did it, but I couldn't hep myself.  I had to do it again! :D :D :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

4x4American

I had a helper today.  This big pine log...I had to chain it to the forks on the tractor.  Cause the cylinders drop so fast the seals are shot I need to repack them...Well anyways they drop so fast, and there's not enough power to pick them back up.  Just to get it to curl I had to pick it up, hope it didn't roll, and then lower the forks down on another log while curling back.  Then I chained it.  Pain right in the catoolum.  12' long

Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Looks good, And I like a green tractor. Did you get the bugs all worked out with the mill?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

I think so.  I am still crossing my fingers, but I think it's good to go.  Screwed around with the brake strap adjustment, it was stopping way to fast after I adjusted the belt.  Belt was loose.  I think I got the brake strap adjustment pretty decent, but when they say that you should be able to just pull up on it, do they mean JUST pull up on it or more of a pretty certain pull up on it?
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on May 11, 2015, 06:39:31 PM
I think I got the brake strap adjustment pretty decent, but when they say that you should be able to just pull up on it, do they mean JUST pull up on it or more of a pretty certain pull up on it?

say_what
A&P saw Mill LLC.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: 4x4American on May 11, 2015, 06:39:31 PM
I think so.  I am still crossing my fingers, but I think it's good to go.  Screwed around with the brake strap adjustment, it was stopping way to fast after I adjusted the belt.  Belt was loose.  I think I got the brake strap adjustment pretty decent, but when they say that you should be able to just pull up on it, do they mean JUST pull up on it or more of a pretty certain pull up on it?
For the adjustment go by how fast the blade stops.  I think it says how fast this should be in the manual.  I would  give it two seconds max.  Think about whether you want it stopped before your off bearer reaches in over the blade to grab an edging that fell off to the side.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I don't have it right here, it's in the truck, but my manual does say that the band should stop turning within 4 seconds of disengagement.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

4x4American

It's definitely stopping before that.   Thanks.  I didn't find that part in my manuel.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Had a customer need stickers with his wood. This is how I do it.

I use dry wood to make them, the lumber won't stain that way. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

How do you like that bander unit? 
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: 4x4American on May 29, 2015, 10:13:28 PM
How do you like that bander unit? 

It works well. Any one cutting lumber should have one.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Had a Logger drop off some hardwood logs to be cut into trailer decking.
I ask, Is the truck big enough for the small load :D :D

It is nice to be able to turn around a truck like that here. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

And then a nice load came in today. Customer want's all 1 1/8" as wide as I can get.

All 16'
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bruno of NH

Peter,
Good to see you are flat out again 8) 8)
Haven't seen you post much lately figured you were knee deep . :D :D
That's a nice load of wood 8) 8)
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 30, 2015, 03:39:12 PM
Peter,
Good to see you are flat out again 8) 8)
Haven't seen you post much lately figured you were knee deep . :D :D
That's a nice load of wood 8) 8)
Jim/Bruno

smiley_horserider smiley_chop dancing-jack smiley_wavy :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

What's that big beaver hinge on the top log?  :D I hate that. I'm tempted to knock those back to the next even foot.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

That looks like a nice payday.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on May 30, 2015, 07:15:10 PM
That looks like a nice payday.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

When it's not -40 every day is a payday :D :D

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 30, 2015, 07:06:38 PM
What's that big beaver hinge on the top log?  :D I hate that. I'm tempted to knock those back to the next even foot.

I don't like it either, When I cut the customers logs He pays for all of it. :D :D :D
When I buy logs like that I sometimes will take off some BF.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Quote from: Dave Shepard on May 30, 2015, 07:06:38 PM

Yet another reason why using a humboldt notch is the best way to cut sawtimber.  Take the wedge out of the stump not out of the log.  Use a humboldt in front of most any eastern logger, especially if they're an old boy, and they think you're messed up in the head!   ???

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

BTW, for those that were wondering, in the pine logs that I posted a couple pages back, where the guy said there were no nails...well one log had 7 nails and a chain in it  8) 8)

Luckily I found them before I sunk any teeth into it...
Boy, back in my day..

Jim_Rogers

Last fall my logger brought in some logs from another "tree cutter" I hauled logs with my truck for this guy many many years ago. What a piece of work he was back then, and still is now.

He wanted me to mill up these logs into 2x4's and other items for some project he was going to do. I told him to call me at the end of the month as I was planning a trip and wanted to do his job right after I got back.

Well, he never called.
After a while I had gotten all the jobs on my list done except his and was preparing to do his next. I called my logger to get his phone number.
My logger said he had called him and canceled the job, and said I could have the logs.
Basically the logger got paid to haul them away, and I got used for a log dump.
That won't happen again, if I can help it.

So these 2x4's he wanted were to be 8' long. But the logger told him not to cut all the logs to 8' long as he wanted to haul a big load of longer ones. So he cut each 16' log part way through.
That was ok until he canceled the job and left me with a pile of logs cut half way through.

Recently, I got an order for some 2x6's 16' long. and some other shorter stuff from a lady with horses and riding stable that needed some fence stock.
I had the logger move some of the 16' logs up to the mill for me and I have sawn them up to fill the fence rail order.
To understand what part of the log was 16' and what part was shorter. I placed my framing square into cut in the log to show me the angle of the cut:

I did manage to get some usable lumber out of these dead standing pines but most were holey from the bugs.

All in a day of cutting wood.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

I have not seen that before [cutting a log ½ way through] and truck it .
But you made it work, Good job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

I have a similar job laying and waiting, same thing, just hate the bow that comes from it, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Yup, if it is a log with sweep and the cut is across the "wrong" log face, it could be difficult to recover any usable lumber.   :-\

Thank You Sponsors!