iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I've had a couple do that, over the years, and I've had them so tangled that I take the B-57's off before trying to free up the band!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Part of my cover is made out of 2x6 wood. I had a broken blade stick in the wood
far enough that i had to use vise gripes to pull it out.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

Tuesday I pulled my blades out of the flat pack box I keep them in, and one of them was broken.  Must have been just too much for it to think of going back on the mill.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

Wow, Was you just getting started to make a cut, and it went just before you went into the log?
I never had that happen.

My day was not as exciting as yours. Cut a little W Oak.

And this thing W Oak.

I will cut them for a customer But, I don't like to. I like cutting reg logs. Like this cherry today.

Had a customer buy the log, 10' 250 BF. Then cut it in ½.  :D :D :D.

More mud today.

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

etroup10

I haven't sawed too many, but every white oak crotch that I've milled, it's had a lot of green color too it. Anyone else experience that? I haven't seen them after they dried so I don't know if it still has that color after drying.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

Magicman

Fresh felled Walnut also has a green tint when it is sawn.  Oxidation happens fast and that tint goes away quickly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Quote from: Chuck White on February 04, 2016, 05:00:11 PM
I've had a couple do that, over the years, and I've had them so tangled that I take the B-57's off before trying to free up the band!  ;)

I had to do that tuesday, take off the B57 to free a band, less fighting that's for sure.

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2016, 08:40:46 PM
Fresh felled Walnut also has a green tint when it is sawn.  Oxidation happens fast and that tint goes away quickly.

I love that green tint.  It's neat to watch it turn. 
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Trucker came with some 24'&20' hemlock today.

And some shake  :D :D

And one I don't know why. :D :D

I will cut it and get some 2x4s out of it, And I did give him a little $ for it. 

This one I deducted an 8x8 right out of the scale. He gross out 4000BF

All an all some nice wood, Should have a truck with 6000Bf coming too with hemlock.
With the cold here. We have to giddy up to get some wood in. Next will be some W Pine. And maybe, just maybe, some W Oak. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Nice.  On the ones with shake, will you cut around the shake?  I have some hemlock logs with shake and I am wondering if it's just bad where the shake is or if the whole log is no good because of it? A local logger once told me that he won't send out any hemlock for sawlogs unless it has sat for two weeks to see if any shake starts to show and that if there is any he'll send it for pulp instead.  Just curious because where the logs are it will be a hassle to get them out so it'd have to be worthwhile to saw them, or else I'll just buck for firewood.
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Hard call sometimes. I don't want shake, but it comes in sometimes. I can see it when the tree is cut down. When you cut as much hemlock as I have, you will have an eye for it. On that log I will box the shake and use it for blocking. I will get some lumber out of it too.
A tree cut with a chain saw is easy to see it. Cut with a fellabuncher can be tricky. All in a day cutting wood.  ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Yup I saw the shake as soon as I dropped it.  I've heard it called wind shake, and ring shake, the latter being a disease or something.  Any truth to that?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Shake is disease/bacteria between the growth rings, but I have no idea how or why.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

venice

Tension for the most part. Frost sometimes. But no disease. As far as i know.

venice

4x4American

So you can see my confusion  :D :D
Boy, back in my day..

venice

To my knowlege an infection would be a secondary occurence following the separation of the growth rings caused by force or frost. Hence the name "wind shake". Some species are more prone to it than others.

venice

beenthere

Venice
Not wind shake... it's an "old wives" tale...

bacteria introduced somehow, and several theories as to how... even cattle grazing around the tree roots.

http://www.nrs.fs.fed.us/pubs/gtr/gtr_ne267/gtr_ne267_156.pdf
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

4x4American

BT is there a website where you find these forest service pdf's?  Would love to poke around lots of good info they have. 

Boy, back in my day..

beenthere

4x4
Google "Hemlock tree ring shake bacteria Shigo" for what I found.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

I kept smelling something on my hands last night. Couldn't wash it off. Then I remembered I'd been working a hemlock timber yesterday. Every time I work hemlock, I keep looking around for a horse. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

venice

BT, i was wrong. Bacteria can also cause ring shake. Looked it up and you are right.

Thanks. venice

Peter Drouin

-10 a day ago 40° today. I did not run the mill in that cold, but today at 40° I was but the cat was at -10. Frost all over it. So I warmed it up. :D

How do like that beenthere, fire 12" away from the sawdust. :D :D :D :D :D :D

The lumber had frost too. The cat started like summer time.

Have to cut some pine Wensday, So I pulled out some logs that might thaw out with the rain we get tonight, Maybe. ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

All in a day cutting wood...no sawring here today...got 5.5-6" of snow last night and then woke up to rain this morning...It's been raining all day, what a mess..can't wait for all that rain to freeze tonight so I can ice skate to the job tomorrow lol  windy here now and the rain is finally letting up.
Boy, back in my day..

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

4x4American

me too this thread is what made me wanna join FF
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

I hate it when this happens, frozen logs jumping around.

Froze together. :D :D ::) ::)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Thank You Sponsors!