iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A day cutting wood

Started by Peter Drouin, May 01, 2012, 08:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

It does splinter a lot and gives some nice ones to the hands and fingers
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Peter Drouin

Can you believe it, First day of the year and look at what drives in.

Some nice W Pine and hemlock to start the year. ;D
With all the ice and snow it can be a challenge piling logs.

With the holidays just about over I guess it's back sawing :new_year:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Dave Shepard

I am 100℅ positive that log clamps were invented in the winter after a dusting of snow.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Looking good...frozen logs have anmind of their own, piling them can be a chore.  I gotta truck and pup of beech coming this week and maybe a straight truck of pine
Boy, back in my day..

Bruno of NH

4x4
Do you cut ties or mats with the beech ?
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

Pine Man gets Pine on the 1st day of the year.  Very appropriate  ;D.  They (I) don't call you Pine Man for nothing  ;). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

69bronco

Doug, that beech is some slippery when it's froze! Bad enough when it's not.. Dropped an interesting red oak this afternoon, standing dead 32" butt. Not sure what to do with it but I've got a new box of 4degree Kascos from member Cutting Edge I'm itching to try!

4x4American

Bruno, I get the beech for ties and pallet lumber.

Bronco, that is a gnarly red oak!

Got a call earlier today have another straigh truck of beech coming later in the week.  Might also get a straight truck load of pine in to saw into dimensional lumber for the logger.  Got three trailers in my yard that are customers that I need to fill up for their custom orders and got a bunch of little dimensional jobs and a guy interested in a 20x30 shop. So far 2017 looks promising, knock on wood!
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

69bronco, You might have some nice wood in there.  8) :new_year:
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

4x4, That Beech is tough stuff, I was thinking about cutting a bunch into cribbing 7x8x4'.
I get carpenters want to jack up barns and such. I'm thinking any Hardwood will work.
:new_year:

Has anyone else here cut them before?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

I have a friend with a hydraulic hud-son sawmill, he said he cant cut beech with it, hasnt found the right blade.  but he can cut hard maple no problem. 

On the other hand, I can cut beech fine, and have a hard time with hard maple.

I think beech makes some nice lumber and is an under utilized wood.  It makes for great firewood
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

4x4 it is good firewood, I have made grade stakes with it before.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

TheBusyBeaver

that's going to be quite a payday when that's done. also neat idea on the log mover. wish I had a hydraulic mill.. LT15 is all manual

Jim_Rogers

:new_year: back to you Peter
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Peter Drouin

This is how I clean the groove, I flip the auto start, then turn the key, then flip the key off when the brake is off.
With the blade off I can spin the drive wheel. I use my pocket knife with a flat screwdriver end in the wheel and the other end up against the shroud.
Gets all the stuff out.

And while I have the b57 off I use the shroud to scrape the gunk off ;D

Works well for me.
Cutting frozen Hemlock. 8) 8)

A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Had a customer bring in some logs for me to cut for him.

Had a log too big. Told him to cut it in ½.

All was going good making 2x10x16, Hemlock.  Not too hot out, nice day.

Then it happens, One of the pump stop working. :o :o

Has power, makes a lot of noise. I have new brushes coming from WM.
So I took off the wire off the junk pump and will use one till I get the parts.
Dose that make my 40 not a supper now. :D :D :D :D

Just got an order for 1200 LF of 5/4x 4" R Oak and down to one pump.

Always something :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

paul case

It was warmer there than it was here yesterday. :(

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

You have to plug the filler hole in the non working pump, but you knew that already.    ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on January 06, 2017, 08:42:48 AM
You have to plug the filler hole in the non working pump, but you knew that already.    ;D

I did that

And the oil came out the running pump.
I found a set of new brushes I'm putting in. The motor is downstairs waiting for me to get off the forum. ;D 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

What do you think Magicman?
It did smell a little burnt. :o :D

I cleend it up some, Looks ok,

I have new bruches here and more comeing with some seals.
But like a dumb a$$ yankee that I am ;D
I did not include the bracket ring that holds the brushes in place with the order.
I don't think I can fix the old one,

Mill will be down for awile.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

4x4American

Oh boy...at how many hours do you start stocking these on the shelf?
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Yup, that brush rack assembly is toast in more ways than one and you will be fortunate if there is not a burnt winding somewhere.  The armature really needs chucking up in a lathe and dressing that commutator and polishing.  That certainly would help the brushes to make better contact.

Is the other hydraulic motor the same age?  If so, now would be the time to rebuild them both.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

I have a local supplier that has the stuff in stock so I don't have to keep them on the shelf.

Also I dont wait for mine to go. A simple load/draw test every 200 ish hours will tell you when to swap em out. The motors should be cleaned at least every 500 hours or once a year or so any way just as a part of a good house keep procedures IMHO. I have not had a set crater yet and swapped the original pump motor brushes etc when I added the second pump 1100 hrs ago. Have done 1 cleaning since with second due this spring.

Most of you will be aware that I up sized ALL my  motor load circuits to #8 stranded copper when I added the second pump with the pumps on 2 OO welding cable from the batteries. ALL connections silver soldered and shrink tubed as required.           
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Peter Drouin

I did all the brushes in the 2 pumps last Feb. If you look the oil got in there and did a nasty. :D :D
The new seal I put in the last time.

This is the trouble maker.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Chuck White

Ah Ha, another use for roofing screws Peter!

I like it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!