iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Quote from: Southside on August 10, 2019, 08:51:02 PM
Yup, just like this place, plenty of "character"  :D
Yep.  Working with curved stuff shows skills.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ianab

Quote from: APope on August 10, 2019, 05:48:08 PM
Neighbor gifted me some wood. Nice black cherry that the local sawmill passed on..
I can see why a commercial mill didn't want to mess with a banana shaped log like that. They often just get left in the forest or busted up for firewood. Hence your friendly neighbour gifting it to you. 
But for a small operation, it's no big problem to saw, and you get to charge extra for the "character".  :) ;D
Look after that neighbour, they are the sort you want to live next to. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

YellowHammer

I cut these live edge walnut slabs this week, some 27" wide, and then it started raining.  When the rain finished, I noticed how nice the wood looked so I snapped a photo or two.

I also snapped a photo of some of the other stuff I've been sawing, but its already kiln dried, and ready to sell. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

impressive!!!  you are a machine!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WDH

I hate you envy you :).  I have to scratch and squall for walnut.  Those slabs are fantastic. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dirtmotor

Today more cedar , went ok till first blade broke for no reason I can figure out just finished a cut was turning log and snap . then on the 2nd cut on the new blade i caught a stub when moving down for next cut threw the blade sheared off 4 teeth but got it straight enough for several more logs . Changed to another blade cut down to my last log and hit a nail pulled it and cleaned up teeth and

finished log , cut some stickers , stacked and cleaned up . All and all a good day .

YellowHammer

@doc henderson I appreciate it, for a small Mom and a Pop type operation, we crank out a decent amount of high quality wood. It's tough sometimes, long days, but it's fun.  

@WDH those were some pretty special logs, with not a single knot in them, and I kind of promised the sticking crew I would not cut any more live edge slabs that big, 11 feet long, heavy as lead, especially since there isn't any place near here, including me, who has a planer big enough to eat them when they are dry.  But I just couldn't resist.  

Walnut log prices are dropping a little, so I'm getting some sweet ones sawn up in preparation for the big Christmas season.  

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Brad_bb

@WDH , @YellowHammer 

I've heard that Walnut doesn't grow as well or as big down south there as it does here in the midwest?  Is that true?  We've got nice walnut up here behind the corruption curtain. I hear they keep selling it to china though.

Yellowhammer, you didn't even have be on youtube throwing a bucket of water on your walnut! 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

olcowhand

Quote from: YellowHammer on August 11, 2019, 10:30:22 PM
@doc henderson I appreciate it, for a small Mom and a Pop type operation, we crank out a decent amount of high quality wood. It's tough sometimes, long days, but it's fun.  

@WDH those were some pretty special logs, with not a single knot in them, and I kind of promised the sticking crew I would not cut any more live edge slabs that big, 11 feet long, heavy as lead, especially since there isn't any place near here, including me, who has a planer big enough to eat them when they are dry.  But I just couldn't resist.  

Walnut log prices are dropping a little, so I'm getting some sweet ones sawn up in preparation for the big Christmas season.  
YellowHammer,
My Beech and Maple slabs "pale" in comparison to that Walnut! That will make some Customers very happy.
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

WDH

It does grow well down here on the right sites.  The soils in the deep South are more weathered and acidic than those in the Midwest.  On the moist deep soils in the coves in the Mountains and upper Piedmont there is some nice walnut, but the vast majority of Southern soils are not as suited as those in the Midwest with a higher pH.  So it is not abundant and is only found naturally in more limited areas.  In the Midwest where conditions are ideal, it can be a more dominant component of the species mix.

Of course it has been planted by people around habitations, and we see more of this tame stuff planted on less ideal sites than the wild stuff on the right sites, and the tame stuff comes with all the issues that you have when you are dealing with people and where they live.  As a timber tree in the mix of hardwoods being logged down here, it is like finding hen's teeth. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: Brad_bb on August 11, 2019, 11:14:29 PM
Yellowhammer, you didn't even have be on youtube throwing a bucket of water on your walnut!
Yep, I hadn't expected the pop up showers and don't like my wood getting rained on, but it sure made the wood look nice.  

We have some beautiful walnut here, being at the end of the Appalacian mountain range, but almost all of the logs are sold as veneer grade logs and exported overseas before I can get a shot at them.  So good, clean walnut is very hard to get, so when I see logs like these,  I snatch them up, and bid against them along with the other high grade log buyers.
YellowHammerisms:

WV Sawmiller

YH,

I cut some cherry on shares a couple weeks back and it got rained on the night before I went and picked up my cut and it sure had made the red color pop on it. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ea$y Money

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on April 09, 2019, 07:09:44 AM
Been sawing that SYP, leaving here by the trailer loads!  8)

Lawg Dawg, I see you cut a lot of SYP. I have a new mill and new to milling. Just bought a TK1400 with the 24hp diesel. Would you mind sharing what you think runs best as far as blades and drip fluid? I have all SYP that I will be cutting for myself. Some of it was down from last summer and will be practice, saw shed, she shed, utility shed, live siding, etc. but after I clear that out it will be fresh SYP. Planning to cut a few at a time and process as I go. Eventually I will have a good amount of poplar if you have any experience with that? Trying to find one set up so I don't have a bunch of different blades to confuse my situation. There seems to be a wide range of recipes for the drips fluid. The cotton spindle stuff seems to be the most environmentally friendly besides Dawn and Pinsol. See several drip diesel... not a fan of that idea.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The harder you work, the luckier you get.

Timberking 1400 w/Diesel engine and Setworks, IH 986, Kubota M5-091, Lincoln Pipeliner SA-250 Diesel Welder, Lots of Stihl, Warn 8274 Winch.

alanh

2x6x16' oak for cow pen fence boards, second order from this guy, I`m thinking he must have some mean cows...the three boards visible with bark on them are the "freebies" the rest are pretty clean

Magicman

230 mile road trip.....again. 

I'm checked in at the Hampton Inn and will see what tomorrow brings.  My betting money is on more dirty log$.  ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Crossroads

Had a mobile job this weekend for a logger I've milled for before. He had an order of western red cedar for 2 6x12 beams 22' long and 2 1x10 22' long, but the log was 23' with trim. It was a slow process, but 3 hours later that log was all sawn. Next was a 16' that was 43" on the butt. It went to  12 4x8's with the side wood going to 1x6. Then was a 12' log that went to 24 2x3's and 1x6. The last log was was 10' that we got 30 1x12 and some 1x6 out of. Sorry, I totally spaced taking any pictures 🙈
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

TimW

Quote from: Crossroads on August 13, 2019, 12:46:28 AM
Sorry, I totally spaced taking any pictures 🙈
fiddle-smiley
:)hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Yes, sand and more sand.

First the dozer cleared and leveled a spot for the sawmill,

Then the skidder started bringing logs.  :o

Yup, gotta do what you gotta do.

Don't slid them in the sand.  :-X

And it was Big Boy Hot today.  smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop

If I look hot it's because I was.  And then I got careless.  It doesn't matter that you wear chaps bucking all of the logs to length, but it does matter when you see one more limb to trim off after you have removed them.   :-\

She said that it was 5 cm long but it looked more like 2" to me.

I make a quick drive to the "Doc-in-the-Box.

And got me 6 brand new stitches.

More dirty logs tomorrow.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Lynn - oh my!!!  I am glad it was not worse than that.... This heat is miserable and yes it is easy to make mistakes like that due to it.  Any chance to pull a water hose over to you and set up a mister type thing to help keep a little more comfortable?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

E-Tex

Ouch.

I bet that won't keep you down long.
LT-50 Wide, Nyle 200Pro Kiln, Mahindra 6065, Kubota 97-2 / Forestry Mulcher 
L2 Sawmill LLC

Andries

Hoooooo Boy, it might've been big boy hot - but filling your boot with the red stuff had to raise your temperature a bit too!
Glad to see that you got it taken care of quickly.
Stay cool Magic
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Crossroads

Ouch! I hope it heals fast...
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

RAYAR

DanG!, that's nasty, sure glad it wasn't worse than that, just a flesh wound.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

olcowhand

Quote from: Magicman on August 13, 2019, 10:46:24 PM
Yes, sand and more sand.

First the dozer cleared and leveled a spot for the sawmill,

Then the skidder started bringing logs.  :o

Yup, gotta do what you gotta do.

Don't slid them in the sand.  :-X

And it was Big Boy Hot today.  smiley_sun smiley_sweat_drop

If I look hot it's because I was.  And then I got careless.  It doesn't matter that you wear chaps bucking all of the logs to length, but it does matter when you see one more limb to trim off after you have removed them.   :-\

She said that it was 5 cm long but it looked more like 2" to me.

I make a quick drive to the "Doc-in-the-Box.

And got me 6 brand new stitches.

More dirty logs tomorrow.
....Not gonna get many of us punching the "Like" button with posts like this, Lynn!
Take care in the heat and heal up soon.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Thank You Sponsors!