iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2019 ???

Started by Magicman, March 08, 2019, 08:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

I dont know how you do it. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Darrel

Magicman, you ain't 'spoked to be doin' dat stuff!  Glad that you're able to deal with more sand tomorrow!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

doc henderson

that is funny, 5 cm is about 2 inches, glad you got your sense of humor.  you trimmed the wrong "limb"!!!  glad you were ok.  I am sure pat knows how to sew.  you should of spent a little more time on your trip!  best regards sir.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Peter Drouin

Good luck to you hope you can keep the sand out of the cut.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Sixacresand

I would be more concerned with the 103 than the sand.  I get hot stupid.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Magicman

Thanks guys, forecast to be a bit cooler today. 

Chain brake was on and the saw "kicked back", still no excuse for carelessness. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Quote from: Andries on August 13, 2019, 11:40:27 PMHoooooo Boy, it might've been big boy hot - but filling your boot with the red stuff had to raise your temperature a bit too!
Funny you should say that.  I didn't have a water hose so I washed my boot out in the hotel bath tub and dried it with the hair drier.  Had to do some serious cleaning it up so they wouldn't think that there had been a chainsaw massacre.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Monday, I got too hot and saw the bear.  Heat index was 109.  It is dangerously hot here in Georgia.  Yesterday I had some things to do in town so I took it pretty easy. As you know MM, when you get that hot, bad things can happen like what happened to you.  Every time that I need to saw something quick with the chainsaw and do not use the chaps, that little voice in my right ear says, "UMMM, you better not." 

Looks like you will make a little less profit on this job :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodpecker52

Morning work till you can't breathe heat index 115 today, and your clothes are drenched in sweat, shower, change clothes, eat, nap, start again at 3 till dusk, remove clothes  that are sopping wet from sweat, pray for wind, and it rains again so it will be steaming again in the morning.  Oh the joys of living in the south, the only good thing I know from dripping sweat all over is that it drowns the chiggers.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Southside

MM you could have just told us the bear got your leg and you fought it off to protect PatD and none of us would have been the wiser for it.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Resonator

Take care of yourself MM, don't be afraid to take a break and sit in the truck with the AC on when its that hot. Missed you at the Pig Roast this year, (though it was kind of like you were there!) ;) ;D 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Darrel

Quote from: Woodpecker52 on August 14, 2019, 12:10:10 PM
Morning work till you can't breathe heat index 115 today, and your clothes are drenched in sweat, shower, change clothes, eat, nap, start again at 3 till dusk, remove clothes  that are sopping wet from sweat, pray for wind, and it rains again so it will be steaming again in the morning.  Oh the joys of living in the south, the only good thing I know from dripping sweat all over is that it drowns the chiggers.
I had never experienced anything like what you're talking about until I landed in Japan. The heat index was 112° and the air was so wet in Tokyo that you could see it like fog. Everything you touched felt sticky. Right now there's a typhoon to the south sending clouds, rain, wind and cooling. Daughter and family make it all worth while, but you all can have this wet heat.  
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

redbeard

Hope you had a better day today than yesterday, that's a good size bite out of your shin.
Ouch!
You might still have sea legs going on with all the sailing you did out west.
Take care be safe!
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bruno of NH

MM please watch yourself in the heat.
Also everyone else
We are getting another dose of the heat and humidity coming in on Saturday night till next Tuesday. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

The leg looks to be in good shape for the shape that it is in.  I believe that it will be OK.

It was brutally hot again today.  I did eat a few snacks and a banana and kept swigging on the water bottle the entire day.  More tomorrow.  I wish that I could work early and late, but that won't work with the tailgunner.   :-\

Dirt, what dirt, I don't see any dirt.   ::)

The forwarder dumping another load of "logs" for the "skidder" to haul to the sawmill.

The skidder got a few of them up the hill and ready to be bucked.

A whack of Pecker Poles ready for me to buck.  :-X

The customer bought 10 more acres of timbered land last week, so maybe he will have enough logs to supply his need.  I am sure that I will be here for a couple more weeks.

Banjo picker

Lynn You are definitely tougher than me.  I have and order laying on the ground by the mill.  That I haven't touched in 2 weeks ... and got a call from a customer Sat. evening ....went and looked at them Sunday and told him I will get to them when it cools off a bit.  I cut and order for a commercial customer a few days ago and thats all i plan to do untill September.  Right now we are renovating a rental that got trashed....at least the ac is now working.  Got about 2 or 3 more days in there.  We got 3 of them and if they wern't so close to the house I would sell them all.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

TimW

MM,
   Glad to see you are back in your sandbox.  Don't you have an umbrella on your seat?
Just what is a pecker pole?

In the heat of the summer, I change clothes 4 times a day with two-three wash off baths in between.  Atopic Dermatitis likes wet shirts.  I don't like either. 

hugs,  Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

thecfarm

Need to lay a few logs on the ground to dumps logs onto to keep them out of the dirt. :( 
But do all that digging at my place I would have rocks to put logs onto. :o   What dirt?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Quote from: Bindian on August 14, 2019, 11:21:20 PMDon't you have an umbrella on your seat? Just what is a pecker pole?
Yup, I'm under an umbrella when I am sawing but all of the other time (majority) I am not.

To me pecker poles are long skinny logs/trees that won't make lumber, but we do it anyway.  Thankfully all of these will be 4"X 6" timbers.

WDH, so far all Oak.

Magicman

Here is a typical example of what I call a pecker pole.

This thing was barely 12" at ground level.  I bucked it into four 11' "logs" that made 4"X 6" timbers.

My today was a strange deal.  Hot Yes, but it got more interesting at 3:00.  The dirt moving crew couldn't/wouldn't/didn't do what the builder wanted done so he sent the whole crew home.  Well my tail gunner was riding with one because he has no driver's license so he when home too. 
No, I didn't charge for the two hours that I missed because I was glad to quit.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun

I will only work until noon tomorrow, shut it down, and make the 4½ hour drive home.  I'll be back and ready to saw Monday morning.  It's sorta iffy whether I'll get all of his downed trees done next week.  ???

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on August 15, 2019, 08:21:44 PM
Here is a typical example of what I call a pecker pole.

This thing was barely 12" at ground level.  I bucked it into four 11' "logs" that made 4"X 6" timbers.

My today was a strange deal.  Hot Yes, but it got more interesting at 3:00.  The dirt moving crew couldn't/wouldn't/didn't do what the builder wanted done so he sent the whole crew home.  Well my tail gunner was riding with one because he has no driver's license so he when home too.  
No, I didn't charge for the two hours that I missed because I was glad to quit.  smiley_sweat_drop smiley_sun

I will only work until noon tomorrow, shut it down, and make the 4½ hour drive home.  I'll be back and ready to saw Monday morning.  It's sorta iffy whether I'll get all of his downed trees done next week.  ???
Looks like pecker poles could be telephone poles also.  How was the wound today in the heat?
hugs,   Brandi
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

petefrom bearswamp

Son and I sawed 2x10x12 Hemlock yesterday along with a few 2x8 and 2x6s
Weighed a random one 
Weighed 92 pounds no wonder my tail man gets tired.
Only have to lift the first one in a tier then can slide them but still heavy work.
calculate that 4 tiers weighs around 1800, makes the front tires on the Kubota squat a little.
I only saw half days now.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

That heavy stuff will work the tail off of a tailgunner Pete.

I am doing sorta OK Brandi.  No bother with the wound, but this heat is brutal.  

I am marking and bucking this morning, but I have not seen my tailgunner yet.  This may be a short day.

Thank You Sponsors!