iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

serious chainsaw accidents

Started by knuckledragger, March 28, 2018, 12:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 30, 2018, 11:31:57 PM
The Aluminum Macdonald T helmets popular in the PNW have had a history of punctures  from falling debris. But over the last decade or so have been reinforced with a double layer of aluminum riveted into the crown.
They have upgraded to a ratchet adjuster on the suspension recently but still only have 4 point suspension.
Have you ever seen a limb go through 1" AR2 lexan? A limb flying out at 200' is a rocket no matter what you're in or wear is going to feel the abuse plastic, aluminum, or steel. To New Zealand have you been around their tethering stuff any? I have and have seen a few of the failures because their standards are up to the same as the USA they've had cables snap and shackles fail both the helmet and the tethering you're putting your life on the line.

HolmenTree

Limb falling 200 feet your neck will probably be busted anyways.
From what Sam Madsen out of Centralia told me years ago the aluminum T's were taking a lot of punctures, plastics weren't.
Tethering stuff? Explain better
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

chet

For obvious reasons aluminum hardhats were never an option for me, working in close proximity to high voltage lines.  electricuted-smiley
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Skeans1

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 31, 2018, 12:28:12 PM
From what Sam Madsen out of Centralia told me years ago the aluminum T's were taking a lot of punctures, plastics weren't.
Sam is a very nice guy we've done business with them for a lot of years. Tethering is what has killed the hand falling industry it's a cable assist system for cutting as well as yarding it's interesting to see a big leveler on a steep slope that it can't be level on.

dgdrls

Former B.I.L responded as an EMT to a logging C.S incident.  Ugly, and it took years
for him to reconcile what he saw and the result of it.

C.S wins........always.

D

HolmenTree

Quote from: Skeans1 on March 31, 2018, 04:27:15 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on March 31, 2018, 12:28:12 PM
Sam is a very nice guy we've done business with them for a lot of years. Tethering is what has killed the hand falling industry it's a cable assist system for cutting as well as yarding it's interesting to see a big leveler on a steep slope that it can't be level on.
Feller bunches, processors killed the hand falling industry here. And we got flat ground, no looking back. 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

knuckledragger

Chainsaws always win against flesh, for that matter any moving steel or metal does. This topics purpose is to remind anyone that safety equipment is crucial. The helmet post are good enough that I've read them several times. One point that I believe should be touched on is this. Frequently I work alone. At times I need another set of eyes or help in some form I go get some. 

John Mc

Quote from: knuckledragger on April 01, 2018, 01:46:49 AMFrequently I work alone. At times I need another set of eyes or help in some form I go get some.

That's a good point. It relates to why a cell phone is part of my safety equipment- and why I carry it on my body when working alone with a chainsaw. Even when working with a friend, the difference between having one with you and not can make a big difference in getting First Responders there in an emergency.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Stoneyacrefarm

Good point John. 
Cell phones don't do us any good if they are out of reach. 
Even without cell reception in our area 911 still works. 
Work hard. Be rewarded.

thecfarm

My wife insists I have my cell phone on me in the woods, I said on me,not on the tractor, Yes,it's only a cheap tracphone,but it could save my life.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skeans1

On some of the companies lands one of us is always required to have service of some sort in case of injury. There's a tracker you can get kind of like that life alert but for timber fallers out here to get help if you push the button. Best cheapest advise that was given to me about falling is never do it alone always fall in pairs and walk out what both of you are doing that day.

Joe Perkins

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 29, 2018, 12:05:01 PM
That is why I tried to talk consumers out of top handle saws. They frequently said they wanted a hand free to hold the log or brace themselves in the tree while limbing. :o
I don't think, it's a good decision. As per as I know Top handle chainsaws are made for Arborist.

Upstatewoodchuc

I worked for a tree service company where only half the guys wore helmets/ear protection and absolutely none of them wore chaps..... never understood it, one guy cut his leg with a saw and I told him "see, bet ya wish you had chaps". 2 weeks later he got his knee again without chaps..... still doesn't wear them, cant fix stupid but you can fire it.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Real1shepherd

Here is why I always wear a hard hat around timber...always! I could knock out the dent, but I've left it as a reminder.
That dent could have been in my head.....widow maker and I had scouted up several times.

I was working a show once in CO, no bosses there, which already is a violation in WA or OR, but this was CO......cowboy loggin'. New guy cut his leg open bad. I had him put pressure on it while I drove him down the mountain. Nearly bled to death in my rig. They saved him, went back up to work after I knew he was stable, lost a whole day's scale. Owners thanked me for taking him the next day.....never even offered to pay my gas. I should have turned them in to OSHA.

Kevin

John Mc

Kevin -  I don;t want to come across as the safety police here. but you ought to consider replacing that helmet. Part of how these helmets get their strength is through the strength of the arch shape, When the arch is deformed, it has lost much of it's strength. You could pound it out, but even a "wrinkle" in the arch compromises its structural integrity.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Real1shepherd

You're absolutely correct and I know that. That's what the ridges are for in the top design...surface strength reinforcement.

Kevin

Old Greenhorn

Kevin, I am the oddball around here (locally) and wear a full brim Bullard and the exact same face shield you have on your brain bucket. I have two questions: 1) do you have issues when the sun is behind you and reflects off the inside of the screen? I can't hardly see nothin' when that happens. Or did you find a screen that doesn't have that issue? If you did, where did you get it? This problem drives me crazy. It's like welding, I tip it up to see what and where I am cutting, then flip it down before I start the cut. and: B) Is your hat one of the later ones with the extra layer in the crown?
 When my hat expires, I plan on an aluminum brain bucket to finish out my cutting days. WHy is it that when we get old we start to really value the safety gear more and get the better stuff as opposed to when we are trying to make a living and we buy what we can afford?
 Strange how this thread just came back to life out of nowhere.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Tacotodd

As far as the eyes go, I wear those neat little glasses type of things that I've gotten from Madsens when I placed a $200ish order from them. They don't fog up and are easy to remove from my noggin. I'm wanting to say about $13. They even work for taking care of being (slightly) sunglasses. They also offer them in the organized sports model that has the stretch band in the rear. Considering where I live in relationship to them, that's why I had my order fairly large, at least it was fairly large for ME!
Trying harder everyday.

DHansen

I believe that as we age we start to realize we are not invincible.  We start looking more closely to the situation and risks.  We don't bounce like we once could.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on March 22, 2021, 07:32:40 PM
Kevin, I am the oddball around here (locally) and wear a full brim Bullard and the exact same face shield you have on your brain bucket. I have two questions: 1) do you have issues when the sun is behind you and reflects off the inside of the screen? I can't hardly see nothin' when that happens. Or did you find a screen that doesn't have that issue? If you did, where did you get it? This problem drives me crazy. It's like welding, I tip it up to see what and where I am cutting, then flip it down before I start the cut. and: B) Is your hat one of the later ones with the extra layer in the crown?
When my hat expires, I plan on an aluminum brain bucket to finish out my cutting days. WHy is it that when we get old we start to really value the safety gear more and get the better stuff as opposed to when we are trying to make a living and we buy what we can afford?
Strange how this thread just came back to life out of nowhere.
No, that's exactly the problem with the screen. That and going into shade;your eyes are screaming for light with the screen until they adjust. My hat is the early model....I never did update. But it does have a new suspension inside. The full brim is a carryover from the rain on the west side where I used to work. The only other professionals I've been around with similar full brims are miners.

I think as we get older, there's a certain amount of wisdom with overview. I know my reflexes are slowing down and I realize the real potential for harm. You only get so many chances in this life, yet you never know the allotted number....lol.

I've tried goggles, safety glasses etc. If they're plastic, they soon get hopelessly scratched. If they are safety glass, I'll break 'em. Plus, you have to carry something to clean them when working in pitchy trees. No thanks....the screen is annoying enough.:-\

Kevin  

weimedog

One of the things Holmentree pointed out can't be emphasized enough

fatigue,

I've seen a few accidents over the years, been a part of a few and seen the results of others pretty close up. Do this kind of thing long enough it's statistics. Not if, but when and how bad. I have a couple of tears in my chaps. Fatigue played a big part of their creation. SO two stories.

One not a saw but relevant. I was working night shift and logging day time. Burning the candle at both ends. Was skidding along a muddy hill side and had slid down to where I needed to cut a limb and a tree to get through .. did that. Was climbing back into the tractor all covered in mud. Slipped. And my arm was stuck on the tractor door as I fell. Like dropping a bucket full of rock...trying to stop it with a string. My arm was that string. Ripped the peck muscle completely at the muscle / connective tissue intersect, a "weight lifters" tear. And destroyed my shoulder. Surgery and rehab followed. A long road. In retrospect....I was dead tired. Something had to give, and better that than in the Snow Plow!

Another one. Arrogance coupled with pride is a dangerous thing in this business. We had a "Stubborn" foreman. And in retrospect the big "front" was really to cover for insecurity and fear of looking less of a man. There was a job where the requirement was to open some sections in concrete head walls. Had one of those big Jonsered based demo chainsaws with a carbide chain, ostensibly for concrete. Most of the fellows were quite experienced with saws all objected to using that. The more the guys pointed out the lack of understanding the more he was determined to show them it was a good idea. And the split second he stuck that tip into the wall it kicked up at full throttle chain speed and hit him right in the face. He had a helmet with a shield. Fortunately the chain missed his face and just CUUUUTTTTTT that helmet as it went sailing over his head. But the body of the saw hit him square, broke the eye socket all to hell, cheek bone, jaw etc. Another long recovery. Not sure it will ever be complete. Haven't seen him in several years.

Second thing Holmentree said that made "impact" for me was in effect PPE's can't always make up for bad decisions

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

mike_belben

Coincidentally i just ordered a replacement 3m peltor screen for my petzl arborist helmet.  
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

I wear all safety equipment now, but back in  about 1975 or so, nicked my right kneecap, no bone just skin, 10  stitches.
No chaps in those days.
Always wore a hard hat tho and it saved me 3 times from serious injury.
All three due to carelessness.
An old friend of mine now deceased told me that we who work in the woods are just one mistake away from the great beyond.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Real1shepherd on March 22, 2021, 10:05:47 PM

No, that's exactly the problem with the screen. That and going into shade;your eyes are screaming for light with the screen until they adjust. My hat is the early model....I never did update. But it does have a new suspension inside. The full brim is a carryover from the rain on the west side where I used to work. The only other profession I've been around with similar full brims are miners.
OK, then it's not just me. I will continue the search for a better screen, just in case I get lucky. I had a plastic one...once...but it took a hit from a branch and broke and the broken edge cut my cheek. After that I switched to metal, when they get hit they bend up all to heck, but stay together. You can straighten them and finish the day. I prefer the full brim for snow and rain and the little twigs that come down. Before I switched I would have all kinds of junk down the back of my shirt. Not as much anymore. 
 I have been thinking on a second hat to keep in the truck. I don't always work out of the truck and my gear lives in the Mule. Sometimes I will be out on errands or something and see a buddy working on a lot and stop to say 'hi', but I don't have a hat in the truck. It's poor form (and stupid) to walk into somebodies job site without the right gear on. I should just get a second one and leave one in the truck.
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 28, 2018, 10:52:27 PM
All the PPE in the world will not keep you safe if you make constant bad decisions while cutting wood and not learning from your mistakes.
This comment was made 3 years ago and I have been meaning to reply ever since (hey, I've been busy). This is so true and I liken it to the way we taught new Firefighters about their gear and tried to explain how it did not make them invincible. If you've ever worn the gear in a working fire, you know it affords a lot of protection, but we found that people were taking stupid risks thinking the gear would 'save them'. I saw too many melted face masks and warped helmets coming out of training evolutions and we needed to find a way to make it clear. We finally explained that the only thing your gear could do for you when things went wrong was maybe allow for an open casket at your funeral instead of a closed one. That seemed to make the point.
 Yes, we had fires where things went wrong for a moment in spite of the best tactics and after the fire had to put thousands of dollars of bunker gear out of service and replace it. But I can say it was cheaper then putting 3 guys in the hospital and much easier than visiting their families to give them the news. That's what the PPE is for.
 The gear is just there for that singular moment in time when things go wrong in spite of all your caution and care. It will minimize the injury if it works well, but it will rarely avoid it.  Additionally, it won't work at all if you don't wear it.

Thank You Sponsors!