iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging winches.... the good, bad and ugly???

Started by kusky, March 03, 2012, 08:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1styear

Has anyone used the portable winch? It is powered by a gas engine and secures to a tree and other things. I have nice trees for cutting and they are of course on a steep incline down a small mountain. The hills are too steep for my tractor. Plus I cannot run a straight line to the trees. Any input would be appreciated.  :new_year:
Know just enough to be dangerous.

John Mc

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, 1stYear. Where are you from?

I've used a portable winch once, and had it demonstrated by a Game of Logging instructor. I could see where it would be very handy in a situation such as yours. They are faster than a 12V electric ATV-type winch (not to mention much more suited to dragging logs), but they are significantly slower than a logging winch on the back of a tractor. The unit I saw seemed well designed and built.  If I didn't own a 3pt hitch logging winch for my tractor, I would probably have one of these.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

1styear

I live in SE Oklahoma, My main concern is will it pull the extra weight from being on a slope. Most of my trees are hardwood oak and hickory

John Mc

How big are the trees?

The demonstration I saw was on hilly ground, pulling Beech logs. We did not have to double the line with a snatch block to get more power, but that is always an option if you need it. You may also want to get a skidding cone, or make some sort of skidding plate to keep the front end of the log from digging in. If you are really concerned about the drag, you could look into adding and arch to lift the end of the log, so it rolls rather than drags. (Forum sponsor LogRite makes some great arches).
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

1styear

The trees are about 30' long and the diameter are between 24" to 28 "  Thank you, John for your response

Remle

The problem of not being able to pull them up in a straight line is not a problem if you use snatch blocks at points along the route where you want the log to turn directions. Their are even self releasing snatch blocks, if you put "snatch blocks " in the search function at the top of the page and change the parameter to Entire Forum you will get a good perspective about them and a couple of videos using them by some of the forestry members..

John Mc

Quote from: 1styear on January 02, 2016, 09:32:22 AM
The trees are about 30' long and the diameter are between 24" to 28 "  Thank you, John for your response

That's beyond my limited experience seeing one of these winches in use. There are members here who use them regularly and can chime in.  Also, I think the manufacturer has videos of the winch in use on their web site, or you could check Youtube for videos - someone has probably taken one of it hauling out a good-sized tree.

If you've already got a tractor, you might want to look at a 3 Pt hitch winch. By the time you get a portable winch, rope, a logging arch (if you think the slope and tree size will be too much for the winch to drag on the ground), you could have bought a logging winch for your tractor.  I like the portable winch - it's a great design, but if I had to choos between that and the logging winch on my tractor, there would be NO question.

As Remie mentioned, you can solve a lot of problems with a self-releasing snatch block. They are not cheap, but they greatly increase the utility of a winch (I have two of them. I very rarely use both on one pull.)

1styear

1styear

Just bought a farmi 351p winch. The dealer personally drove the winch to my home, "a 12 hour drive." He assembled the winch to the tractor and winched a couple of trees. He also gave me a discount and included the screen, 3 choker chains, and a self release snatch block, basically for free. 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

1styear,
That is a great dealer,you will not be disappointed with your winch.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

g_man

Congrats on your new Farmi. Sounds like a great dealer !!  As the others have said, you will love your winch and snatch block.  Work safe.

gg

ahlkey

The Farmi JL351P is an excellent winch and with the lower block + an additional Snatchblock you will have surprising a lot of pulling capacity.  I sold my Farmi and currently have the FX120 from Wallenstein but Farmi seems a step above the others in my view. 

1styear

Yes,  what a difference! Now I can collect those trees which were impossible to retrieve with no sweating and swearing involve.

thecfarm

1styear,you must have diffeant trees then me. I still have to sweat and swear at mine.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

1styear

Give me some more time, I will catch up with the sweating and swearing. I am just starting.

g_man

Quote from: thecfarm on February 11, 2016, 06:07:20 PM
1styear,you must have diffeant trees then me. I still have to sweat and swear at mine.  :D

:D :D

Ed_K

Just bringing this thd up for a caution for anyone with a 3 pt winch where you have a second lever winch brake.
If you get the cable too tight like trying to get a tree off a stump, DON'T try to push on the lever with you hand, use the rope and the pulleys that are there. I cracked a rib this morning when it finally let go. Tractor and winch moved back at me quicker than I could move. Made for a very sore day trying to start chainsaws all day  :(.
Ed K

thecfarm

Thank You Sponsors!