iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 209D

Started by Stroker-Ace, March 30, 2015, 09:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

That puts a smile on my face.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

78NHTFY

Happy to hear things getting back to normal 8).  All the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

ohiowoodchuck

I seen a few months ago you was looking to sell your skidder and now thinking about keeping. I would like a price if your thinking of selling. Pm me if you want.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Stroker-Ace

Hello again, just wondering if anybody can steer me in the right direction here.  Im trying to pull apart the hubs on the front axle to dismantle the axle and put new bearings and seals and pound out the dents in the diff but I can seem to get the final drive covers off. I took off all the nuts and tried prying on the cover but no luck. Theres gotta be something Im missing. Also, woodchuck I did respond to your pm but in case you didnt get my message Im gonna continue with the restoration as long as I can. Hopefully to the conclusion! I do appreciate your interest tho!

Neilo

Are you talking about the 8 bolts holding on the spider cover, or the 12 nuts holding on the planetary gear spider?

I think the 8 bolt cover should come off fairly easily. To remove the planetary gear spider off the 12 studs, you use 3, 7/16" NC bolts in the threaded holes once the 8 bolt cover is off.

Good to see you back working on it.

Neilo

bushmechanic

There should be three push holes in the planetary cover that you can install three bolts into to push the cover off. Look for them as they may be filled with dirt or silicone.

Stroker-Ace

Ok thanks guys I will give that a try tomorrow. Im hoping it will be self explanatory after that to dismantle the rest of the planetary and then get the axle out to then take the dif out. Must have bad bearings there too as there is lots of slop in the pinion. Hope Im not getting in over my head!

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Stroker-Ace on April 07, 2016, 08:43:30 PM
Hello again, just wondering if anybody can steer me in the right direction here.  Im trying to pull apart the hubs on the front axle to dismantle the axle and put new bearings and seals and pound out the dents in the diff but I can seem to get the final drive covers off. I took off all the nuts and tried prying on the cover but no luck. Theres gotta be something Im missing. Also, woodchuck I did respond to your pm but in case you didnt get my message Im gonna continue with the restoration as long as I can. Hopefully to the conclusion! I do appreciate your interest tho!
I understand completely, I will admit when I seen your offer, I was ready to back the truck under the trailer and head your way. It never hurts to ask. Good luck with your project.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Stroker-Ace

Either Im blind or just cant see but I cant seem to find them push holes in the covers. I will try to post a pic to this thread and see if anybody can point them out to me.

Stroker-Ace

bushmechanic

My bad Stroker-Ace I thought your machine had the smaller Rockwell planetarys. You have to remove the outside cover with the eight bolts on those type. May be stuck with silicone or the gasket but give it a knock with a hammer or pry it off, then you will see your three brass pins and side axle gear, just pull out the side axle and your good to go on pulling your differential out. If you need to get the planetary gears out, again there should be push holes under the first cover and in the second one. Hope I'm more help this time lol. 

Stroker-Ace

Ok that did the jo . Thanks bush mechanic!! I was just afraid to break something but them gaskets are as strong as welds! Next question is how do you determine how much wear is too much on the axle splines. The left side seems decent but the right side seems pretty worn on the dif end. Also are the gaskets available or do you just use silicone or rtv for a gasket? Thanks for the help!

Neilo

That is what I said before

Stroker-Ace

Stroker-Ace

Sorry neilo! I must have skipped over your response in my haste to head out to the shop! You hit it on the head though. I will pay more attention in the future I promise!

Stroker-Ace

Stroker-Ace

Neilo

Gaskets are TJ parts 400564 for the inner one and 400563 for the cover.

I don't think spline wear is much of a problem. Maybe more noise and bangs when spinning wheels or turning.

Planetary pin wear is worse as it affects gear mesh.

Neilo

Stroker-Ace

Back again with another quick update. Still havent got the front axle apart yet. The diff appears to be welded in place! No probably not but its just real stuck. So I left it for a bit and pulled out the cradle instead. I was surprised to find self aligning bushings in it. I was assuming there was just straight bushings in it. Anyways, I googled the part number and came up with a few different options. Just wondering what everybody recommends for replacements. They range in price from $22 to $150 each. Any advice will be much appreciated. The cradle will be sent to a machine shop to fix the holes for the blade pivot and cylinders. Will post pics. Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!