iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thomas Bandmills Edger

Started by 4x4American, May 03, 2016, 10:16:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

WM had a nice edger at the show today it cut up some good looking wood .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

4x4American

The best part is when the WM team drives home from VT they pass by my sawmill.  How convenient would it be to have them drop that edger right off lol.  If it wasn't for the width and thickness limitations I would be all about the WM...but, I cut alot of bartop slabs and such mainly 8/4 and 12/4 and I leave them live edge til the customer picks up, and i think it'd be just swell to be able to fire up the edger instead of the saw.  When I'm done with my mill I clean it thoroughly, fluid film, and cover it.  Plus, being a diesel, they don't like to be started to only run for a few min without much of a load.

Was that edger they had there diesel?
Boy, back in my day..

red

The woodmizer edger is on sale right now . If you buy an LT 70 Super first . Now that's a good deal.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: 4x4American on May 05, 2016, 11:25:24 PM
Right...just like the cut throat on the LT40 is too small IMO!
DTFWI good thoughts.  I'm leaning towards the Baker Edger right now.  I've seen it in person, the capacities will work, and I know that they make a top quality product.  I may start supplying the pallet guy down the road and a flooring mill up yonda with lumber and I think that an edger would pay for itself within nanoseconds.  lol

What do you like about the Baker?

I switched to Cook's because it goes up to 21" wide. It seemed very similar to Baker although it looks like Baker offers the laser as standard equipment. Is that correct?
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

4x4American

I like that the Baker is made by Baker, have been very impressed with their equipment I've seen.  I like the looks of the Cook's too, but, I already have their grinder and setter, and that's enough red equipment, my neighbors might think I'm an IH guy..cant have that  lol 
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Laser not standard on Baker btw...I'm not into Star Wars anyways so it dont bother me
Boy, back in my day..

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on May 06, 2016, 08:34:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 06, 2016, 08:16:13 PM

I never edger over 12", most of the time the lumber is 4",6",8",10" wide.
Well that's great. My first 4 boards are usually 6", most go into fence boards. The next 4 are usually around 10" after that they get pretty wide.

By the time I'm up to 10" I have a cant. Bigger log bigger cant.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: 4x4American on May 06, 2016, 10:10:27 PM
I like that the Baker is made by Baker, have been very impressed with their equipment I've seen.  I like the looks of the Cook's too, but, I already have their grinder and setter, and that's enough red equipment, my neighbors might think I'm an IH guy..cant have that  lol

Oh *DanG, I am an IH guy, never thought of it that way. :)

I've used edgers with lasers and I think I can be more accurate with them. I need to be able to cut right up against the bark and do it quickly. I can't stand to cut off even a 1/4 of grade lumber, has to be perfect.

Looks like both have the conveyor belt.

Cazzhrdwd

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 06, 2016, 08:16:13 PM

By the time I'm up to 10" I have a cant. Bigger log bigger cant.

It's that way when I saw pine, 99% of mine is big poplar and oak, urban timber and suburban clearings. That's the reason now for an edger, I'm too *DanG tired of edging 20" wide oak boards on the mill.

Bruno of NH

Think the edger at the show was gas but I could be wrong :)
A lot was going on at once :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Dave Shepard

Regardless of brand, I would suggest stockpiling your edging. I used to run the edger all day, and it burned almost as much fuel as the mill because it was running constantly.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

Yup I think I will...to get a diesel engine on the cook's it adds like $6-7 grand.  And it's a Perkins...      Prolly look for a gas one.

Now if only there was something like Jake nearby who had an edger that needs babysitting lol
Boy, back in my day..

Cazzhrdwd

I currently have a power converter but I'm getting another to run the edger and mill. I'm making the jump to electric. Power converters are very affordable. I currently have an ARCO rotophase, it's 20 years old and I've never done a thing to it.

Alyeska Pete

I run a Cook's Diesel with 14" Strobe saws.  The red paint does not have much affect on how it runs. The inner mechanical workings are much more important than the color of the paint.  I'm still only a few miles south of you....
Here's some quick specs:
Top Mount engine design
Metal Roller board hold down feed system - applies even hold down pressure across the entire board width; unlike tires
Top mount board roller return system
Pressure compensated flow control system - allows control of feed speed from 0 to 100 feet per minute
34-1/2" Wide Board Width Capacity
2"-21" Edge Cut Width
Carbide tipped Dual Split Strobe Saws with 3/16" blade thickness
Dual board edger guides - no guess work
Board anti-kickback fingers
Hydraulic Speed Control - fully hydraulic system allows control of feed speed from 0 to 100 feet per minute (no hydrostat)
2-ply rufftop Infeed/Outfeed belting
Two Infeed and two outfeed rollers
Heavy wall tubing main frame
Electric, Gas, or Diesel power options
Process 10,000+ board feet per day - based on an 8hr. work day with 12" material x 10ft-12ft. in length
12" Dual Strobe Saws - cut cants up to 3" tall
14" Dual Strobe Saws - cut cants up to 4" tall

Percy

I've had a woodmizer edger since 2001. It's on its 3rd engine. I've abused and modified it up the wazzoo. Mine was the12 inch wide adjustment model. Advantage, more space on each side for waste pieces, disadvantage, 12 inch boards max. The opening is 24 and 3/4 inches as the newer ones I'm thinking. I have cut the in put and output openings to accept 4 inch and have a mirad of shives and belts to adjust feed speeds. Making it accept4 inch was a bigger process than I had anticipated. Problems with kickback fingers and hold down roller springs and brackets. As good as this edger has been for the last 15 years, I think a cooks would have served my needs better  larger capacity and easy speed change. Just my opinion.
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

4x4American

Pete, I forgot you had a cooks edger, I'd love to stop in and take a look at it.  I drove down through the catskills this morning to visit my mother for mothers day.  Tomorrow I'm stopping in by the pipeline theyre running right now my buddy called me and said they have gobs of logs and need crane mats so I'm gonna see if they could use a guy like me.  After that maybe I'll gve you a shout?  You near shokan was it?

Thanks for the thoughts Percy.  I am debating hard between cooks and baker right now.  Going to go see farm credit east this week.  It stinks that they're both over 6 weeks out though!  It's too bad WM didnt make a bigger edger.  A drive to missouri or alabama is gonna be awful!
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

WM does make bigger edgers, but you would needed a bug genset to run 30hp electric.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Quote from: 4x4American on May 07, 2016, 08:53:39 AMNow if only there was something like Jake nearby who had an edger that needs babysitting lol
Make Mrs Steele a good offer on this EDGER and I will throw the Board Dragback in for free.  Well, maybe not exactly free, 'cause it would still cost you that gallon of Maple Syrup.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

I thought there was a Rule that you had to ask at least $300 . . ? ? ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Magicman

Didn't you hear that 4X4 sells his Maple Syrup for $300.  ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!