iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy a Mill

Started by Dallas Woody, May 08, 2016, 10:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dallas Woody

I live in South West Va, south of Roanoke Va.
I run a small hazardous tree removal company.
I recently purchased a Kubota MX 5200 and am able to take logs home now.
I live on a 100 farm and have plenty of room to set up and saw.

From my research, the mill that appeals to me most is a Timberking 1600.
If anyone has a mill they would like to sell, you can let me know here. 
I would like comments to best mills to purchase, pro's and cons. 

I am really looking for some hydraulic help as I already have about 200 logs laying to saw, some big, some small, most medium.  16-20 inches  I am not looking to cut lumber as much as looking to make some large out door furniture, storage barns ect. My current business keeps me busy, that's why I think I really need Hydraulics.  I really don't have a lot of spare time, if the outdoor furniture paid off, I would hire someone to run the mill full time doing that and then milling for locals. 

Give me the advice you wish you would have had before buying your first mill. 

There is a local widow with an Woodmizer LT 40 (no hydraulics) but a few dc motorized options (plus a debarker) she wants 15k, I offered her 12K and she is holding out.  Its a 2007.  Really now hours though.

btulloh

Welcome to the forum.  I can't give you any feedback on those since I'm using a manual Woodland Mills but you'll get lot's of good responses. 

It sounds like you have a good plan.  Hydraulics are always nice. 
HM126

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dallas Woody.  Wood-Mizer as well as other manufacturers can point you to a nearby sawyer with a sawmill that you can visit and watch operating.  It would be good "hands on" experience.  Wood-Mizer Pro Sawyer Network

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Dallas Woody!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

DDW_OR

I have a TK-2000. I love it. customer support is great. i have heard the same for Wood-Mizer.
when you start sawing you will want to build a shed to protect the mill.
I am putting a lean-too for the mill on the side of the pole barn.
I have a 166 farm/forest

a few ideas:

Mill
Hydraulics = GREAT
Computer = Great

Tractor
Farmi JL501 skidder winch = 11,000# pull
get the skidsteer quick attach for the loader.
Pallet forks = buy 2 extra forks to make it into a 4 tine tractor pitch fork  8)

Pole barn
I heard on the radio last week about a sale on a 50x100 steel building. do not remember the company.
did a 2 second search and found this starting at $28,785 in VA
http://mbmisteelbuildings.com/metal-buildings-for-sale/50x100

"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!