iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Troll Pie

Started by Jeff, December 02, 2007, 06:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Those were some "overstuffed" pies.  Well, maybe not but full anyway.   food3
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on January 20, 2014, 10:47:33 AM
If you throw tallow or silver connective tissue in the grind you get yucky meat.  We trim every little piece.  :)

This is very true.
The bad think about someone that tries Venison for the first time is eating it prepared by someone who doesn't know how to cook it. It's hard to get 'em back then.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

That must make a fantastic meal on a cold winter day. My mouth is watering....

Jeff

I had the leftovers for lunch today. For the purists, I ate it with Ketchup.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I had gravy with my Pastie last week.   food3
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kas

Jeff, when I lived in the UP back in the 70's and 80's, I used to live on pasties, but never learned to cook them myself.

In a much earlier post you said "Once the rutabaga is done, which takes the longest"....since I've never cooked rutabega, how long is "longest" on average, or more precisely, how do you know when rutabega is properly done?  I might want to try to make this troll pie this weekend.
Scott

Jeff

Rutabaga is checked just like a carrot or potato, with a fork. Carrots take just slightly less time to cook, and potatoes less than carrots. I usually just make sure to add them to the pan in that order so they get cooked around the same time, and so the potatoes don't over cook and get mushy.

Mooseherder

I've never tried to make troll pie but the ingredients look to be similar to a Beef Stew.
I use one rutabaga in each batch but have had bad luck with them being grainy and fill with fibroids that ruins the dish about half the time.  Have you had that happy to you?

Jeff

Nope, Michigan Baggies don't have hemoroids.

Mooseherder

I've had it happen in Maine and Florida.  Darn east coast turnips.
Texture of a woody substance until you spit it out.

Jeff

hmmm. Nope, never had em like that. We get small ones to use. I wonder if that makes a difference.

SwampDonkey

A lot of store turnips or rutabagas have been harvested before they are ripe from the fall frost. A frost will sweeten a turnip up. Never had any woody ones.

I make something like troll pie all the time, but not pastry crust, just whipped taters (with butter and cream) on top. But I usually use turkey or chicken and some alfrdeo roasted red pepper sauce. Peppers, onions, sweet potato, carrots, rutabaga, parsnip. I just finished up a big pan full tonight.  :) 8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy19

I'm making my first Troll Pie tonight. The only thing different was I also added some chopped parsnips and fresh garlic. I'm also cooking the main ingredients in a Dutch Oven and then will transfer to a pie plate and re-bake. Smells great so far.
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Jeff

I use Garlic most of the time. Seasoning is always a personal thing. :)

SwampDonkey

I use some garlic, but I go through a lot of onions. I've probably used 3 so far this week. :)

In baked beans, pizza, stew....

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pappy19

Well, the jury is out and all agree, Troll Pie is a winner. There is some left overs, so how do you keep it and heat where the crust is is just as flakey? Just cover with foil and bake again?
2008 F-250 V-10
2007 Lincoln LT
1996 Ford Bronco
Kubota 900 RTV
Shindiawa fan

Magicman

I have sorta been wondering when the Troll Pie fever would strike.   ;D

Jeff

BEST TROLL PIE EVER!

Magicman

Dat's also a mighty large slice.   :o

Jeff

That was 4 slices. Stacy and a friend was here for supper. :)

SwampDonkey

I think maybe the old hermit copied the recipe. Although, your troll pie crust looks much flakier. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j_LKKTILBY

WV Sawmiller

Boy, this thread has been around a while. Sure looks like some fine eating.

Reminds me of when I worked in Cameroon in West Africa and one of our maids made little fried meat pies. She'd moonlight selling them to the open air bars in the neighborhood and she saw me at a grocery store across the road and offered me one and I got hooked on them. She made her own crust which was real flaky and the meat and veggie filling which include a bite of hot pepper and she included green beans cut about 1/4" thick. I'd get her to make me a bunch and I'd freeze them and fry a few in the deep fryer when I wanted a snack. I had it set up one day a week she'd have a plate full hot and ready for lunch. We'd have weekend card games and she'd take my little ice chest home with her make me up 25-30 and bring them back just before game time. They were a big hit. They remind me very much of the ones Jeff and Swamp Donkey show only they were fried and much smaller. I have to stop typing and go get a bib.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Troll pie baked from frozen tonight from last weeks freezer additions. That was easy to make when i don't  feel at all like cooking.

SwampDonkey

At least ya feel like eating, that's what counts. ;D :D :D :D 8)

Jeff

Yup stomach issues are gone now just the head and chest congestion, and its clearing up. As sick as I was yesterday,  I'd never dreamed I would feel like eating today. 

Thank You Sponsors!