iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 61 opinions

Started by cornykid, August 24, 2018, 11:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cornykid

I have a grey top 61 with a silver tag, I think it's about a 84 model. Either way it starts and runs good, but it's low on compression when warm and doesn't start well then.  What p&c can I use on this chassis? I've read about the different intakes if going to the 272 and cover fitment issues. I was thinking more in the 266xp or 50mm size or even the 262xp. Do all of the different p&c have to swap out the intake and carburetor?  What about muffler? Thanks

mike_belben

Any of the chinesium ebay jugs from 61 to 72cc. Any of the 2xx series also, 262, 268, 272.  But the 72cc jugs wont fit the top cover without some trimming. 

There was an intake change between the '100' series and '200' series but i cant remember the exact details. I feel like the the bigger jugs had really small intake bolts.. Like 4mm but again fuzzy memory.  I know ive drilled and tapped one to the larger bolts cant remember which.  There were plastic and aluminum intake elbows abd a few different filters.  They all had a rigid phenolic intake and gaskets of the same pattern with very little room for enlarging.   Think the rubber intake boots came with the 300 series. 

The 61 starter is a bit weak for high compression 72 unless you run a decompressor which i suggest. 

Praise The Lord

cornykid

So I could use a 50mm closed Port p&c then and it would fit under the stock cover? What about the carburetor?

mike_belben

That i cant tell you.  I did a chinese 272 top end years ago and the white cover wouldnt fit without trim.  Maybe gray top will but dont know.  I dont have it anymore.  

Im not sure what exactly youre asking about the carburetor, and im probably too foggy on it to recall specifics.  Few good head injuries between then and now. 
Praise The Lord

Maine logger88

262 won't fit it is from the smaller 254 class saws 266 or 268 would probably be the closest tho I'm not sure if any modifications would be required 
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

mike_belben

Really?  So its 61, 266, 268, 272 then?
Praise The Lord

cornykid

What's the difference in the 266 to the 268? It's difficult to find a 266 p&c but lots of 268 around. Did they make a 48mm closed port that would fit?

dougand3

61-48mm, 268-50mm, 272-52mm are all the same family. 261, 262 are different. I think the 266 is different, too. I don't know if there is a CP jug for 268. If so, bet it'd have to be NOS OEM.
Edit: there is a 268 AM CP jug/slug and a used Mahle jug on ebay. 
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

HolmenTree

The 268XP is closed port and the newer non XP 268 was open port after the 272XP was introduced in the early 1990s.
The older Husky 162/ Jonsered 630-670 were also closed port.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mike_belben

Was there a 261?  I have assumed it was 61, 262, 362xp. But im just some bum, never worked in a saw shop or anything.
Praise The Lord

Maine logger88

261 was a detuned 262. Only reason I know is I have one under my bench lol
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

dougand3

I took in a 261 for labor costs. I found out real quick that it and 262 were redheaded stepchildren re: parts availability. Maybe not redheaded but the 266 has at least some auburn going on.
Husky: 372xt, 272xp, 61, 55 (x3)...Poulan: 315, 4218 (x3), 2375, 2150, 2055, 2000 (x3)...Stihl 011AVT...Homelite XL...Saws come in broken, get fixed or parted, find new homes

cornykid

I see that hyway has a 50mm closed Port c&p kit available. Would anyone know what would be needed to install this kit in a grey top 61?

cornykid

I had the muffler yof and the piston is a single ring and it's scored. Just checking to see if it would be an easy upgrade to a 50mm cylinder.

mike_belben

Im pretty sure i have a 72 jug kit and a 61 chassis in the storage shed.  Ill mock it up this afternoon and get back to you if so.
Praise The Lord

cornykid

Pine Ridge

A friend of mine gave me a 61 orange top a couple weeks ago. I sent Holmentree a message with the numbers, it is a 1996 model. Muffler was rusted and busted on the backside. I fired it up and it ran surprisingly good. I took the muffler off and the piston looks perfect. I've started replacing parts on it and cleaned it up. New handlebar, starter recoil, kill switch, clutch side bearing, gas & oil caps, spark plug, ordered a new shroud top cover and recoil and clutch cover decals, and a new Oem muffler that should be here today. Carburetor seems perfect and has good compression. Thank you again Holmentree for sharing your chainsaw knowledge with me, it is appreciated.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

BradMarks

I ran 61's back in the 80's, always thought they were a maintenance issue with parts breaking and wearing out. High rpm's, cut real good, but 8 hrs a day(or 6!) was hard on them. Shock mounts, coils, switches, heat blocks (or what ever it's called). Never blew an engine up but all the other stuff added up. I own an old Stihl 026 now, and never the same issues even when used hard.

Pine Ridge

Quote from: BradMarks on October 04, 2019, 12:17:36 PM
I ran 61's back in the 80's, always thought they were a maintenance issue with parts breaking and wearing out. High rpm's, cut real good, but 8 hrs a day(or 6!) was hard on them. Shock mounts, coils, switches, heat blocks (or what ever it's called). Never blew an engine up but all the other stuff added up. I own an old Stihl 026 now, and never the same issues even when used hard.
This one had been abused more than used from the looks of it. I got the new muffler and bracket this afternoon, got it all put together, still waiting for the top shroud cover and 2 new stickers then it should be ready to go. Muffler and bracket, clutch bearing and kill switch are oem, the rest are aftermarket parts. This one will wear an 18" bar and chain, i'll use it for firewood duty once in awhile.

630red

i done the 272 onto the grey top 61 a while back,from what i can remember i had to get new long carb bolts orginal bolts were 5mm new cylinder was 4mm or the other way round plus the decompression button wont fit it is in line with the handle,other then that its runs fine no problems

Pine Ridge

Got the last part i needed today, a spur sprocket, for the "freebie" 61. I cut with it and it run really good. I've got somewhere around $160.00 dollars in it after replacing several parts and i'm pleased with it. I'll use it for firewood duty along with my 550xp. Glad to rescue it from the junkpile.

Thank You Sponsors!