iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 257 opinions

Started by deerslayer, December 19, 2013, 01:04:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerslayer

I have an opportunity to acquire a non running Husky 257 and wondered if this saw would be worth messing with. I'm probably not going to keep it but would fix it, use it for a while and flip it.

I'd have a little over a $100 + my labor into it if it only needs carb/fuel stuff. If the piston is scored, then...

What say ye?
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Spike60

257 makes a nice firewood saw. There are inexpensive aftermarket pistons that work well should you need to replace it. That would add say another $25. If it's in nice cosmetic shape you'll still be able to make some money when you flip it. If it's in rough shape, I'd guess it would bring $150?? Really depends on the area where you are.

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

deerslayer

Well, hopefully the 257 is more highly regarded than the Husky 55 since I have one of those I've had for a couple years and have been unable to sell it. Probably asking too much...
Stihls I can sell quickly but the Husqvarnas just don't seem to be as desired. (at least used)

I did sell a 455 easily but it was like new. The 55 I have has that multi colored plastic look that seems common to the Husqvarnas. Anyway, I haven't been able to communicate with the guy now and think he may have sold it. So it may not be an issue. I'm gradually thinning my herd and will eventually have an all Stihl lineup but still bring other saws in and out to mess with and flip. I use the 55 from time to time but have plenty of other 50cc saws so don't need it. I also have a Jonsered 2172 in very nice condition. Once I prove out my Stihl 044 I plan to divest myself of that one too. I have two groups of saws. My "line up" which are the saws I cut with and use in my business and then my "toys" which are the saws I buy, repair, use a bit and then move them on down the road. For instance, I have two mac 10-10A saws and have one for sale (and probably sold once I get back in town). I cut with them a bit and they're fun but not really practical for my purposes. So the 257 would be in this latter group. Fix it up, use it some and then sell it. If I don't get it, oh well....
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

deerslayer

Well, it won't be going home with me. The saw was snagged by a member of another forum with the initials AS.

Life goes on...

NCFarmboy

257 is a Pro grade saw member of the 254,261,262 family.  Basically a detuned 262.  46mm open port cylinder.  Has more power than 46mm 55.  Good firewood saw.  I would rather have a 254 over a 257 if I had to choose one.  I do have 254-257-261-262.  I really like this series Husky.
Shep
Lots & Lots of Saws

SawTroll

Pro grade build quality, yes - but the 257 wasn't an xp, and had an open port top end (the only open port in the "family").

The full "family" was the 154se, 254(se), 262xp, 254xp, 257 and 261. There were two distinctly different versions of the 254xp.
Be aware that top ends can't just be swapped around between different models of different sizes within this family, as more will have to be changed as well, to make it work.
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!