iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log and lumber software

Started by smwwoody, January 01, 2012, 08:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

I think you fellas are right. Us smaller sawmill operations just want to saw,but it is nice to know if you are making overrun or just keeping even. I hand scale each log as it comes in and paint its scaled bdft on the end of the log with cheap black spray paint. I started doing this when scaling because I would loose track from one end of the stack or pile to the other. I scale them and paint the feet on the little end and then go back and write them down. Like this.

That way I can tell by how much it makes if I am ahead or not.
I can see how this might get to be too much to do but It would cut down on a little of the tracking problem.PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ianab

Even if you don't do it all the time, it would be worth doing occasionally, for a day or a truckload, and track it though your processing system. Just so that you know your scaling and log costing are actually lining up with the production you are expecting. Margins are too slim to just rely on guesswork.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Wenrich

Everyone talks about overrun, but it isn't the most important factor.  Profit is the factor.  If you get more overrun, but your production costs are higher, than the overrun doesn't mean as much.  Its only a factor in high quality logs where the lumber value can absorb the higher costs.

Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

paul case

Quote from: Ianab on January 06, 2012, 12:39:39 AM
Margins are too slim to just rely on guesswork.

Ian

That is a fact.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

jcbrotz

I will be testing out the new excel worksheet this weekend, I have 3-4 loads coming home. Here is a copy of the one I use all the time, for all custom sawing jobs and the lumber sales I do.

I am now doing this full time so I need to be able to track everthing. I like to see how much overrun I can get but, some of it is to much work for the $$ I need a edger but don't want to spend the $$. Hum rock and hard place ::)
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

Thank You Sponsors!