iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberJack Orange Paint

Started by riverlogger, February 19, 2014, 08:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riverlogger

Any ideas on where to buy tj colors at a reasonable price. Automotive ppg paint and the like here in GA are outrageous.

rvolek

I have know of a few to use Kubota Orange from Tractor Supply to paint theirs.
74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

lynde37avery

my uncle has allways told me Timberjack orange is just GM orange paint. i seen  the can. looks same. kubota is close to the same too.
Detroit WHAT?

PAFaller

What year is the machine? The later years before green were more of a red than an orange. That said if you can find it Allis Chalmers orange is pretty close. I think the PPG color is like pizza sauce or domino pizza. If you go that route the paint and reducer is spendy but it looks real good if you have a gun and spray it. Friend of mine did his a few years ago aside from some small dents it looked brand new.
It ain't easy...

rvolek

I noticed that Pa Faller......when looking at different TJ's the paint difference......I just thought it was paint fade. Mine is a 74 and I dont believe its original paint. I see a darker color in areas that are chipped away...

74 Timberjack 230D
JD 450 Dozer
Husky 570, 372

Decked

Quote from: rvolek on February 20, 2014, 06:21:06 PM
I noticed that Pa Faller......when looking at different TJ's the paint difference......I just thought it was paint fade. Mine is a 74 and I dont believe its original paint. I see a darker color in areas that are chipped away...

Whadya' need a skidder for when there ain't a tree in sight...?   :D ;D

timberlinetree

We used ac orange from tsc,paintbrush,roller,wife & kids :D
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

PAFaller

Timberline that looks pretty darn good regardless if its not quite original. Mine was repainted when I bought it and I have no idea what color the guy used, I know that AC orange was close when I did some touchup. I would say yours looks real nice, and if you kept any extra should be easy to touch up. Heres mine in the snow. I was missing the little guard door that protects all the hoses there in front of the valve bank so I had a shop build me that door and it got painted black. The roof is black too, but thats a Detroit paint job there!

It ain't easy...

timberlinetree

Thanks pa. Around here it's important to keep things looking good.l can also kid myself that it's new :D.

sandersen

Those orange paint jobs came out great and look real nice...but i was wondering, would it be a major crime if i painted my 1966 tj 230 green and yellow...those jd color combos are real nice looking........I know its not traditional for the old tj's...? 
"Make every step count."

PAFaller

Sanderson its your machine so paint it as you wish. That said Im a traditionalist. To me that would be like painting a restored Chevelle Ford Blue!! Well, maybe not that bad but I always liked the red. And crazy as this may sound when Im out cutting I like having the red, it stands out in the woods. And it lets people know where you are at. You park a green 240 in a bunch of 7-8ft tall striped maple or beech brush in the spring when everything is real green and walk away 50 ft that thing disappears. Not saying it makes a huge difference if you work alone, but its easy to pick that red out, both for yourself and foresters or landowners that happen to come looking for you.
It ain't easy...

nhlogga

Quote from: timberlinetree on February 21, 2014, 04:37:22 AM

We used ac orange from tsc,paintbrush,roller,wife & kids :D

That's one fine lookin 'ol Jack.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

nhlogga

Quote from: riverlogger on February 19, 2014, 08:25:48 PM
Any ideas on where to buy tj colors at a reasonable price. Automotive ppg paint and the like here in GA are outrageous.

I have seen TJ orange paint at Nortrax but I think it was spendy if I recall.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

sandersen

Quote from: PAFaller on February 22, 2014, 02:19:46 PM
Sanderson its your machine so paint it as you wish. That said Im a traditionalist. To me that would be like painting a restored Chevelle Ford Blue!! Well, maybe not that bad but I always liked the red. And crazy as this may sound when Im out cutting I like having the red, it stands out in the woods. And it lets people know where you are at. You park a green 240 in a bunch of 7-8ft tall striped maple or beech brush in the spring when everything is real green and walk away 50 ft that thing disappears. Not saying it makes a huge difference if you work alone, but its easy to pick that red out, both for yourself and foresters or landowners that happen to come looking for you.

Good point!!
"Make every step count."

timberlinetree

The bright colors seem to pick me up especially working in the winter/fall when everything is brown and looks like a war zone. Have to agree that the bright colors are a safety factor.thanks nh. :)

Thank You Sponsors!