iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Growing

Started by 21incher, June 28, 2016, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

21incher,nice plants and raised beds you have. My beans are not even blossomed yet. We are not selling,so I took my time putting the garden in this year. Got most of it done by mid June. Most years,mid May I am done. I see you have your peppers stacked. I put down black plastic for all my peppers.I use tomato cages for mine.They really like the heat. My Father use to grow melons. He would feed 'em,as he use to say. I am using cattle panels for my tomatoes this year. I have no idea how that will work.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on July 13, 2017, 09:33:13 PM
21incher,nice plants and raised beds you have. My beans are not even blossomed yet. We are not selling,so I took my time putting the garden in this year. Got most of it done by mid June. Most years,mid May I am done. I see you have your peppers stacked. I put down black plastic for all my peppers.I use tomato cages for mine.They really like the heat. My Father use to grow melons. He would feed 'em,as he use to say. I am using cattle panels for my tomatoes this year. I have no idea how that will work.
They are just a few early beans. The canning ones are just starting.  I put the peppers in the raised beds filled with compost and stuff as many pepper plants as I can fit so they don't need weeding. Everything is coming in about 3 weeks late  so I hope we have a late frost. Last time I grew melons some critter took a bite from each one when it was ripe and ready to pick.  :)

Quote from: drobertson on July 13, 2017, 09:13:34 AM
21, very nice layout and gardening practice, that had to come by lots of work,, our jap beetles are on the decline now finally, made the mistake of using traps for them last year, they only brought in more.  Our okra is now coming on, gerks are slowing just a bit, and I did come up with a good recipe for the gerks, both kosher and regular dill.  waiting for the few corn to fill out and tomatoes to ripen. A bonus on the maters was a volunteer cherry tomato, its making a ton of fruit.  We too use the Baker Creek Heirloom seeds, and had a great time at their spring festival this year, lots to see and some great deals on various things.   
That must  have been a fun festival.  Glad to hear you were able to spend some time in a garden this year. :)

Quote from: trapper on July 12, 2017, 10:15:30 PM
Can I grow lettuce under shadecloth in hot weather?
I find romaine grows ok in hot weather. A shadecloth should help.  :)

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 13, 2017, 08:11:34 PM
21.....I really enjoyed that. Good video.
I just wanted to share the seeds that grow best in my garden. :) 

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

BradMarks

Been harvesting head lettuce (Great Lakes), pole beans almost ready(3-4") to pick for the 1st time (Blue Lake and Kentucky Wonder cross), Blueberries finished, tomatoes (pole type)4-5' tall, filling in nicely with "fruit". Amish paste tomato - a really good variety!  Tomatillo's have their lanterns now. Peppers are slow, just now warming up at night sufficiently. Onions ready, garlic drying, more lettuce and carrots coming up. Fall peas in the ground. And our water bill...it's growing too!  Live in town - no well. Oh well.

tamarackman

Quote from: 69bronco on July 12, 2017, 08:01:13 PM
SPDM, are the row covers for the cool nights or bugs? Do you take them off for pollination?

We use the row covers to take the edge off the cold nights and reduce the stress on the plants from the wind. They are removed after two weeks enabling pollination.

Ianab

Almost time to start my little vege garden. Last season was useless for growing chilli, too cold in the spring and it was basically Autumn before they flowered.  :(

But I'll try again, maybe with a little mini-greenhouse. Anyway I was wandering into the supermarket this morning and glanced at their display of plant seedlings. Woohoo.

While these aren't listed as the hottest chilli in the world any more, they are used as Elephant repellant and the Indian Army makes tear gas grenades from them  :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

21incher

We had a cold and extremely rainy summer. The sweet peppers were a bumper crop, but there was not enough sun for the jalapenos. Frost will be upon us soon. Our season is almost over and the root cellar is almost full. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

drobertson

It is an okra only cutting for us,, bags in the freeze, the gerk pickles turned out great, tomatos not that good, what we got was not bad, just small, beans went to the deer,  oh the corn was good! not enough of it, planning for next year's soil improvement currently.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ESFted

My coastal Virginia winter garden has been going for a while, as you can see by the bolting lettuce.  We grow way more than the two of us can eat and try to give away the rest to the neighbors and the folks at my nearby fire department.  I try to garden as organically as is reasonably possible.  This years attempt at keeping bugs at bay has been these mosquito net tunnels.  They have worked very well, so far.
Broccoli

Kale and Collards

Endive, BokChoi and various kinds of lettuce.

S.U.N.Y. College of Environmental Science and Forestry '65
Stihl MS661CRM, Stihl MS460,  Stihl MSE 220, Solo 64S, Granberg Alaskan MK-IV CSM
Dreams of a Wm LT70 w/all the accessories

21incher

They are some nice looking beds. I have fall greens coming in now, but the bok choy is bolting with all the hot weather we have now. I think it will be the latest frost ever this year for us. :)

Ianab

Not sure if this is good news or bad news.  Carolina Reaper chillis have fruit.  :-[

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The Carolina Reaper began 6 miles from me but I don't eat it.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ianab

Planning to make some chilli sauce, maybe ONE chilli to a big pot of tomatoes?

I'm not dumb enough to simply eat one of these things  :D :o

sandhills

Ok David, I tried this once and it didn't take (that I know of) I gotta ask, did your horns grow or what  ???  ;)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sandhills on February 09, 2018, 01:18:36 PM
Ok David, I tried this once and it didn't take (that I know of) I gotta ask, did your horns grow or what  ???  ;)

I don't eat HOT stuff. They developed the Carolina Reaper in Fort Mill, S.C. right down the road from me.
Look up the video of CATFISH COOLEY eating them and drinking Fireball to wash them down on You Tube.
I cannot post the video because of the Wood Shed language he uses after eating them.
I'm surprised it didn't kill him.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

21incher

This year I am trying the new Habanada Sweet Pepper.https://www.rareseeds.com/habanada-sweet-pepper/  It is supposed to have the flavor of a habenero without any spice. I just can't eat the hot peppers anymore but love the flavor. :)

Ianab

Weather is holding up remarkably well this year. Chilli plants are looking good.

Not huge plants, but the weather has been kind this year and they are looking good.

We have a plan to roof over some old pig pens at a friends place with plastic, put in some planters, an irrigation system, and some trial plantings. Probably go with something less lethal if we want to sell them locally of course.  :D

Ianab

Looking good.

Time to make some sauce.  This pot had 3 Scorpions in with the tomato / onion / capsicum.  I think it's "nice and tasty" but it's about as much as the rest of the family want to tackle.  :D 

Got plenty more ripening so I'll make up a tastier batch next time  smiley_devil

DPatton

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on February 10, 2018, 11:04:39 AM
Quote from: sandhills on February 09, 2018, 01:18:36 PM
Ok David, I tried this once and it didn't take (that I know of) I gotta ask, did your horns grow or what  ???  ;)
Look up the video of CATFISH COOLEY eating them and drinking Fireball to wash them down on You Tube.
I cannot post the video because of the Wood Shed language he uses after eating them.
I'm surprised it didn't kill him.  :D :D :D
LOL!!!!! This video was a hoot! Is that Catfish Cooley some of your kin Poston?

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Don P

It'll be nice to see some summer stuff growing. We knocked 6" of snow off the high tunnel yesterday but it has been producing greens all winter. She lost the first planting of peas to voles but it looks like the organic pellets either got them or ran them out, the second batch is growing. Maters are started and about 4" tall indoors.

Ianab

Once we get the "greenhouse" set up I will see if I can grow some of these chilli as perennials. It wont be heated, but we only get brief frosts below freezing  so the plants should make it through winter inside, even if they aren't growing.

burtle

I'm going to grow strawberries this year.

Does anyone have any tips/advice?

I ordered 25 plants from burpee.com.

I'm looking forward to it!

I'll also be growing the basics...sweet corn, greenbeans, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, sweet potatoes, and basil.
Never Give Up

Don P

Can't help with growing them but have been eating the first flat of strawberries of the year. The plants are started here, go down to FL to grow out then some of the berries come back up when our southern neighbors return to work in the Christmas trees. Not a summer berry but they sure are welcome this time of year.

This is a pic of one of the plant stands in the living room with maters, greens and peppers... and snow in the background. Michelle was up every couple of hours last night checking to see if we needed to go knock snow off the high tunnel, happily the brunt of the storm went north of us.

burtle

Which lights are you using for your plants? Looking good! ^^^
Never Give Up

Don P

Thanks. The living room is tile on a slab so spills are no problem, I've told her I don't mind if we just push the furniture to the sides and grow stuff in here all winter. The high tunnel is full and stuff needs to go out but winter is hanging on this year, it's white outside still. We're still on fluorescent in the plant stands, part of them are the older big diameter tube shop lights, then we started switching over to the newer small dia tubes. These work but with 2 plant stands going it does run up the electric bill a bit. As we replace this time I'm thinking of the led rope strips, they are getting pretty cheap and with lower voltage are safer. I think they need to be higher than 5500K to work well for plants.

21incher

I have had good results using the 4 foot Phillips Alto 6500K T8 bulbs in shop lights. They are fairly low cost at Home Depot and only 32 watts. :)

Thank You Sponsors!