iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PNW Travels....Again

Started by Magicman, July 09, 2019, 10:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We are presently at redbeard's Sawmill Village.

Redbeard (Jeff) and I.

And we ate a bait of Dungeness Crabs last evening.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AMBoser

Wow. That first photo of Mt. Rainier is spectacular. Did you take it or is it a postcard? If you took it, do you remember where it was? I'd love to stand in that same spot.

Safe travels.
Trying to learn without making a mistake every time.

Magicman

Emmons Vista at Sunrise Center.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

We started the day with a wonderful Crab Omlet breakfast.

Then redbeard Jeff demonstrated sawing on his new Cooks AC36.

The tailgunners were PatD and Kelly.

Then Jeff cranked the Oscar 60.

And sawed a Madrona crotch.

Magicman

We are now at the ferry to take us through the San Juan Islands and to Vancouver Island.

Thank You Jeff & Kelly for your Warm Hospitality.

WV Sawmiller

The pics and scenery are great but I'm most impressed you could get them women to stack your lumber for you. Stay safe and keep those posts coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

redbeard

It sure was a special weekend meeting and sharing stories. Thank you Pat and Lynn for taking your time too visit us along your journey.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Magicman

We made the very pleasant ~3 hour ferry journey to Vancouver Island this morning but found Victoria much too "busy" for our liking. 

After a quick stop at the grocery to pick up a few items and a visit to an ATM to get some "Loonies", we are down for the evening just West of Victoria.  We will journey North tomorrow toward Port Alberni.  WiFi tonight but I don't anticipate having any for the next several days.

sawguy21

Welcome to Canada. ;D Downtown Victoria tends to be rather hectic during thw summer months but there is a lot to see in the area.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rubberfish

You'll need to hit another ATM soon. In this country that $100 won't last long.  
Sounds and looks like you're having a good trip.  ;D
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

Magicman

I am paying with a CC.  That C Note is for tips.  ;D

Stephen1

Welcome to Canada MM . Remember that sign on the highway that says 90 is not MPH.  :D
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

I am having some difficulty getting WiFi so I'll have to do my pictures & videos later.  We made the 274 ferry trip to Prince Rupert yesterday and are now on our way to Hyder, AK.

Magicman

Maybe I can put up a few pictures, but no videos......It was a good idea, but with this slow WiFi, they will not upload.  :-\ 

Anyway, we will be here in Hyder, AK for the next 3 days.  We will leave here on the 31st for our planned rendezvous in Terrace.   

Bandmill Bandit

IF you would like I can give you an alternate route from Stewart south to Terrace. It is a bit shorter and has a bit of gravel but is a good road and Has some of the regions most spectacular scenery through an ancient volcanic field. Some good camping in there and hiking too.

The name of the road is  the Nisga'a Hiway. Think it is provincial Hiway 113. IF I remember right that is the same road that goes past Percy's place just north of Terrace. It's not a long drive (about 60 Km) so you can take it pretty leisurely drive but weather can be a factor.

My Son said you can use wifi at his place to get some decent speeds. He's got fibre in the house and gets stupid fast upload rates that are 4 or 5 times my Dload rates and I got a good connection.  

Stewart is a great place to spend a day as well.        
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

We drove across Montana today and are now in Sturgis, SD, and guess what is going on??

Southside

You going to enter into the arm wrestling competition?  :D Could be worse, when we lived in Oregon I decided to take a short cut through the Nevada desert one trip and ran right smack into the Burning Man festival... 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

A few pictures:

I met Percy in Terrace.

He showed me his friend's sawmill.

That had a band this big.

Percy with his LT70.

He also showed me his flipping and edging operation.
Thanks Percy for your Hospitality.

Then it was on down the highway to meet another FF member.

BandmillBandit and I coordinated a meeting midway between our travels and spent a much too short of time visiting.

Wall Drugstore and the Mitchell, SD Corn Palace today.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Magicman on August 04, 2019, 10:00:50 PM
We drove across Montana today and are now in Sturgis, SD, and guess what is going on??
79th Rally!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

If you go across SD stop in Chamberlain at the indian museum at St Josephs school.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

We are now in Branson, MO, for a couple of days.  I have been dealing with little/no internet service so maybe I can catch up a bit:

We made a re-visit to the Mitchell, SD, Corn Palace a few days ago.  The theme of the displays are changed every few years.  All of the displays are made entirely with 12 different colors of ears of corn.  These are grown in separate corn fields to maintain the purity of the varieties.

At the present time the outside is military themed.

This is Mitchell's city auditorium and sports arena, but for now it is their souvenir display area.  A close up of some of the displays:

Notice that the ears of corn are longer than the brick to get an idea of the size if the displays.

Magicman

We spent one night in Missouri's "Van Meter" State Park and camped in a grove of (very valuable) Walnut trees.

That's us in the background.

And here is PatD in front of a 150½" circumference Walnut tree that would be almost 48" diameter DOB, which would make it ~45" DIB.  :o   Missouri's Champion Walnut tree is 175" DOB circumference.  Yes, those are all Walnut trees in the background.   :)

Magicman

We visited the same Cathedral Grove that florida visited several weeks ago.

There are some awesome trees.

Guess that you could even get lost in there!!

Magicman

Whataboutdafood??  ???

A seafood platter containing Dungeness Crab, Mussels, Halibut, Salmon, Shrimp, Corn, & Potatoes.

Dungeness crab, Cream Cheese, & Parmesan Cheese toasted on Melba Toast.  food6

Breaded and fried Halibut.

Grilled Halibut from the "Bus".

The World Famous "Bus" in Hyder Alaska.  (Google it)

Shrimp Tacos.

Magicman

Back in Reply #46 I planted a US Flag in Mt. Rainier, so I figured....

That I could plant an Alaskan Flag on my Forestry Forum "Tree".  :)

Thank You Sponsors!