iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw boot or snake boot

Started by rebocardo, September 18, 2006, 08:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rebocardo

I "think" I need a boot with spikes/chalks, plus, being GA and there being all sorts of snakes with fangs that I can't ID, some in my firewood pile and the wet areas I work, I have been thinking a snake boot might not be a bad idea.   ;)

I was wondering if a chainsaw boot, like the orange Vibram Bushwacker (VW58) they sell at Bailey's could do double duty. Offer more protection then my current steel toe boots from a chainsaw, add some traction with chalks, and then double as a snake boot. I do not want a lace up boot with chalks because I get in and out of my truck a lot while working and being able to slip them off easily is a must. $100 is about the price point too.

Other reason is I have been thinking of keeping my new "used" Husky 3120 and using it more often and when bucking trees the 36" bar is tough to hold and keep track of compared to the much smaller 365. Not that I don't plan on using it safely, but, if I could plan for accidents I would not have any.  ;D

I have been thinking of snake boots from Sportsmans Guide, but, none of them have steel toes and for me that is a must.

What do you guys wear, besides Timberlands, and do you think a real chain saw boot would offer much protection against fangs?  I am kind of fang snake uneducated being originally from Massachusetts.   :D

Ed_K

I have the orange boots, I don't think I would trust them battleing a rattler unless you can step on its head first  ;D .
Ed K

Radar67

I have a pair of snake chaps. They are made of 1000 denier nylon and guaranteed against any rattler in the US. They cover from my hip down to below my ankle. Only a very small portion of my booted foot is exposed. The majority of the time, a snake will strike at the leg between the ankle and the knee...not that it is impossible for the snake to strike the foot, odds are slim though. My oldest brother used to wear only knee high rubber boots to the woods...he has been struck thirteen time by poisonious snakes of all types and none have penetrated the boot completely. (He has never been "bit" though) :o

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

UNCLEBUCK

If I ever seen a rattlesnake in the woods it would be my last time in a woods !

Do all of you always wear chainsaw chaps of 1000denier or just chaps of any kind and do you always wear chainsaw boots ?  Man I am going to grind myself up someday as I only wear the orange helmet about 5% of the time and no other protective gear .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

thecfarm

I wear chaps when I use my chainsaw.I only wear steel toes boots.I have looked at the chainsaw boots,but have not bought them.Don't forget about the kevlar socks.Put on your regular sockings,than put these on,than your boots.Your boots need to be bought in one size bigger for these to fit in.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Radar67

UB, I hate snakes, but I'm not gonna let them run me out of my woods.  ;) Not for long anyway.  :D

Stew

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

rebocardo

I wear the green kevlar chaps I got from Bailey's with steel toe boots, but, it leaves some  of the boot exposed and the whole back of the leg. I had thought about getting the knee high rubber boots, but, they do not come with steel toes usually.

Radar67

I've found several pairs of rubber boots with steel toes, look for someone who supplies firemen.

Stew

Woodcarver

I have a pair of rubber boots with steel shanks and toes.  They're made by LaCrosse.
Unfortunately they're not insulated.  They're a mite cold in the snow, even with heavy wool socks.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

beenthere

Them snow snakes are out at that time,  eh? :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Woodcarver

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Kevin

bitternut

I have a pair of the orange chainsaw boots that I usually wear in colder weather. In the summer I wear a regular pair of steel toe high top shoes or what would be called work boots I guess. I wear my chaps winter and summer as well as my orange helmet with face screen and ear muffs.

I have no use for snake boots where I live. I don't have to check a log out before I sit down on it. No poisonous snakes or scorpions in my woods. Snow snakes are not poisonous.

Uncle Buck if you take the GOL classes you would be in real trouble. DID YOU HEAR ME!!!! Oh no, thats right you didn't hear me because you usually never wear your helmet. ;D  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!