iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheat sheet

Started by dean herring, July 01, 2018, 10:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dean herring

I've got a lot of 1x12 pine boards to cut and am looking for a way to speed up the process. I've seen somewhere on here some have made up a list of measurements to hit the next cut without having to stop each time to figure or move the magnetic strip each time. Thanks for any advice 
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

WV Sawmiller

I use one pretty religiously. Mine is set up for 1/8" kerf. BTW - I have SimpleSet on my mill so I start on one of the marks and it moves the distance programmed in every time I toggle the switch. I'd probably quit sawing if I did not have a setworks system.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ron Wenrich

I worked for a number of years where I had to build the stack in my head.  After you get the math behind it, it isn't that hard.  But, I did have a setworks that pulled the same stroke for each cut.  

For the math, I was running a circle mill.  For every 2 4/4 board, I needed to add 2¾" to the target size.  If you're running a band mill, you would reduce that to what suits you.  Multiples of my 2¾" would be 5½", 7¼".  Add that to your target size, then set and go.  

Without a setworks, you need to add 1 3/8", 2 3/4", 4 7/8", etc. to build your stack.  Adjust for your board thickness and kerf.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Crossroads

I have a cheat sheet but have switched to the sawmill calculator app on my phone. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

bandmiller2

My band mill is of my own manufacture and uses a simple aluminum yardstick and pointer. I go down the cant one inch at a time which gives me about a 7/8" board. I have never had anyone complain. It sure makes figuring easy. My circular mill has a setworks that figures in the kerf, cheat sheet is only used to start the cut and have the boards end up right, no sliver cuts. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

moodnacreek

The notched lane set works eliminates most of the math. I don't know how I used to saw without it.

Thank You Sponsors!