iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Adjusting oiler?

Started by MNBobcat, October 27, 2017, 08:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MNBobcat

Hi Guys,

I'm curious if everyone turns the bar oiler adjustment screw all the way up (highest flow) on their saws? I was thinking about that and as long as there is still oil left in the reservoir at the end of a tank of fuel, I can't see why you wouldn't run it wide open.  Oil isn't that expensive.  I've never had a saw oil so much that it gets me full of oil so I don't see a down side.

Anyway, was just curious what you guys do.  I've got a brand new Dolmar/Makita 6100 with 20" bar.

Weekend_Sawyer

Yep, all mine are wide open.

They don't throw the oil like they used to.
Apparently saws sold in the us had to cut back on the amount of oil the oilers throw for environmental concerns.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

btulloh

I run it wide open on the new saw and it still looks dry compared to the older saw.  It is getting enough oil, but the new oiling rate is kind of uncomfortable after all these years of throwing oil.  I reckon if there's oil left in the tank when the gas runs out, things are good, just like you said.
HM126

John Mc

It depends on the oil I'm running. I've found the veggie-based oil I use seems to lubricate better than the petroleum oil, so I leave the oiler set at mid-range when I'm running that. I turn it up when running petro-based bar oil.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnW

I think it is possible to have more flowing than the oil channel can handle, so it will be a little messy around there.  But I don't mind.

d1hamby

On my MS362 the oiler is barely adequate with a 16" b&c turned all the way up. With larger b&c I take lots of breaks to oil the chain with slow rpm out of the wood. Essentially I'm polluting more because of poor oiler. Might have to try veggie oil in between regular oil sometime.
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

DelawhereJoe

My 362 is very lite on the oil as well, but it will leave an oil line on a tin building with an 18" bar while cutting a 16" sassafras that was growing to close to it. Oh and it doesn't matter how much oil your saw can produce it still wouldn't cut cast iron window weight that a tree has grown around. A rusty cast iron window weight looks almost identical as a tree root.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Al_Smith

:D Well you found metal and it doesn't cut well .Try an electric fence insulator some time .It will clean off 4 teeth before you can shake a stick at it .
I hit a steel  fence post inside a 24" dead ash and not only detoothed the chain but wiped out the drive rim at the same time .Nasty business .Turned a 32" chain loop into a 20" in about 2 seconds .--stuff happens .

Thank You Sponsors!