iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Maple Tree

Started by Rhodemont, June 19, 2018, 11:32:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhodemont

Lost my big Mimosa tree in the front yard.  Replaced with an ornamental maple tree. Put it in last spring.  Would like to prune the lower branches to keep the trunk clear plenty to walk under and especially to wow around.  Should I wait another year or two or will it be ok to do it now?

Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Southside

I am not an arborist but the trees I have planted around that size all take a year or two to really settle in and do well it seems. Personally I would leave it alone for another year anyway, let it build up some strong roots before you remove any solar panels from it. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

You need to maintain 50% crown ratio for a small tree like that.  Crown ratio is the height of the live crown divided by the total height of the tree.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

Interesting post.  

Danny
Is there an age or height to define "small tree"?  Would this be the same rule of thumb for walnut or other hardwoods?

WDH

Yes, same for most hardwoods.  Leaves grow wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Rhodemont

I will wait until I hit my head when mowing!
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Ron Scott

Yes, give the tree some time. It's still establishing itself.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!