iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm in trouble - again

Started by JV, May 06, 2012, 05:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

I saw a flyer for an auction today starting at noon.  It featured something pretty rare around here as far as I know.  I went primarily as a spectator but came home as the bid winner.  The previous owner had a tree service and purchased this for the occasional nice log.  Well, I'm now the owner of a Lucas 613 that looks slightly used.  My plan is to get the slabber attachment.  I have a Wood-mizer LT-40 hydraulic and an Alaskan 56" chainsaw mill.  I have requests for slabbing and the CSM isn't easy to handle for my old body.  I'm still recovering from a back operation and my wife now has some health issues, but neither of us are willing to quit.  At first, she wasn't real happy I went over my promised limit, but she came around on the way home with a little sales pitch from me.  I'm going to have to watch the video and read the manual.  Going to try it out on a soft maple log sawing some pallet material I need.  Definitely different from the Wood-mizer, going to have to put on my thinking cap.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

terrifictimbersllc

Congratulations.   Definitely get the slabber if you want to move some heavy boards.  :D :D :D  Seriously, watch out and go slow.  There are just as many ways to make mistakes as with an LT-40, and this time it's carbide teeth and you're closer.  Wear a helmet, face mask, dust mask and chaps when that blade is spinning.  But have fun.  8) 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ianab

Cool  8)

Main thing you will probably have to get your head around is how you look at the log. With the band mill you saw from the outside in. Swing Blade you saw top to bottom, in layers. How things are orientated depends on you. The mill doesn't care if it's 6 x 1 or a 1 x 6 that you are cutting, or a 6x6 for that matter. Heck you can even change your mind half way through the log and change your pattern depending on what you find inside.

But best plan is to watch the video, read the manual, then go saw a log. The 6" limitation may actually do your back a favour, if you can't cut really wide boards, you wont have to move them around   :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

hackberry jake

From the top down... Do you ever get tension problems in longer logs?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tyb525

No, I don't recall hearing of any swingmills in this part of Indiana.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ianab

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 06, 2012, 09:37:31 PM
From the top down... Do you ever get tension problems in longer logs?

You can...

But 2 things help overcoming that. First you release the tension gradually, and resurface the the top of the log each time. Means you might get a couple of mm variation on individual boards. Still within spec, even if the log actually moves an inch, it's only 2mm per board. Second thing is you can leave the right hand slab wood attached while you saw more. Makes your log look like a "L" beam and that resists bending better than just 1/2 a log would. This works best with smaller logs, where the tension is going to be noticeable. 

If you do get one that really moves on you, so the boards would be out of spec, you can always just take a skim cut to level it again. But I've only had that happen a couple of times.

Also, although you don't usually move the log while sawing, there is no rule that says you can't . You can set up some more permanent bunks and stops etc, and flip the log and saw from the other side if you wanted to. You can also use this to cut beams larger that your double cut capacity. So if you wanted an 8 x 12 beam with the 6" saw, you cut away the top part of the log, flip over and saw from the other side. Just cut of everything that's not in the beam.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Woodey

Lots of us have purchased at an auction and only went as a spectator.  :o
I guess I should not of got the bid number. :-\

I hope you enjoy your Lucas 613.

WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

thecfarm

Two differant type of saws. That's nice to have.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JV

I'm exciting about some new possibilities this mill could present.  I have a couple of other projects to finish before buying the slabber attachment.  Biggest problem is I need to be 20 years younger.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Magicman

Quote from: JV on May 07, 2012, 07:36:19 AM
Biggest problem is I need to be 20 years younger.   :D

That is one that you will have to learn how to work around.  ;D  (I know)   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OneWithWood

Nice score, JV.  8)

I have recently added a CSM, but have yet to try it out.  Got to get my barn additon done sooner thatn later...
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

logboy

You will like the slabber attachment, as will those around you with giant logs.  If you want to save your back with the slabber, first find a way to move the slabs with skid loader or tractor.  I have moved 400 pound slabs by hand.  My back did not like me at the end of the day.  The other thing you need to keep in mind is always having a sharp chain.  I would buy one or two more so you're not constantly sharpening.  If you try to cut with a dull chain your back will kill you, and you will nearly give yourself the hernia in the process.  As you cut lower to the ground you can use your legs to push.  When it's high up you have to use your upper body.  It can be a very good workout, or a severe beating depending on how you look at it.  It is definitely a young man's game.  There are a lot more tips and tricks when it comes to slabbing.  Just ask, or search around the forums.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

JV

I would like to have some boards wider than 6".  The manual says to turn the sawhead 180 degrees by lowering the rails and sitting the head on the log and turn  it.  Then pick it up back up and saw on the other side of the log.  This sounds fairly simple, but is it?  Any suggestions from you veteran swingmillers?
John

Ianab

It's a bit of messing around, but not difficult or anything.

What will save time is do several horizontal cuts on one side, then rotate the carriage, lift back up to the first level, and do the second 1/2 of the cuts from the other side. Four or Five 1 x 12s cut with one spin of the carriage.

You can only do 1 wide board on each level, but you can do them.

Also cutting 2/3 of a log, then flipping it over gives you one full width live edge board from every log, and just edge that with 2 vertical cuts if needed.

Ian

JV

Thanks Ian.  I'm wanting to try different things on a couple of logs I have left.  If I mess up no problem. 
John

chep

Ianab: " Still within spec, even if the log actually moves an inch, it's only 2mm per board. "

Well. Which system are we on? Standard or Metric. Cant be both  ;D

I am reading carefully to any advice being given. And much thanks for it. Me and my Lucas 618 are just becoming acquainted. Awesomely different from a bandmill. Still trying to wrap my head around it. But making sawdust...

How are folks dogging their logs to flat bunks? Or have you cut a notch? I cut a notch in some 8 by 8s, but I want to know the secrets of the force

Ianab

QuoteIanab: " Still within spec, even if the log actually moves an inch, it's only 2mm per board. "

Well. Which system are we on? Standard or Metric. Cant be both

Yes it can  :D

My rulers and tapes all have mm on one side and inches on the other. :-\

Ian

OneWithWood

Are they all printed upside down too?   :D ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Jeff

Not upside down really, just wound from the wrong end. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!