iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

garrett can car skidder

Started by baron69, May 24, 2015, 08:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baron69

looking for info on identifying the model of a garrett can car skidder has a 4 cyl gas engine

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

terry f

Mine has a gas and is a model 15, but I don't see Can Car anywhere, just Tree Farmer.

baron69

looks similar but says can car on side by radiator  and hood is different  arch on back is different

mad murdock

Garrett sold the Treefarmer brand to CanCar in the late 60's the early C4's were very similar to the model 15, and some had the same engine(172 Ford industrial), not sure if CanCar stayed with the later ford gas engines, before they went to Detroit and other diesels. Take a pic or 2 of the engine and post.  We should be able to help you pinpoint what you are dealing with.  Good machines whatever they have in them. Mine is a 15A with the 172D(diesel version of the 172).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Timbercruiser

Treefarmer was made right in my home town of thunder bay Ontario for a long time . They were smart cause the big paper companys bought up alot od skidders to use in the camps  :)

baron69

Just picked it up and brought it home cant find any numbers on it anywhere on the frame. It has a ford 172 engine had a broken piston skirt  so the engine is out of it. Rest of the machine looks to be in pretty good shape basically paid junk price for it because the guy wanted it out of his yard. Looking to identify the model.
A picture I saw  on the forum look to be pretty much  the same he thought his was a C4

Puffergas

Quote from: terry f on May 24, 2015, 01:23:37 PM
   Mine has a gas and is a model 15, but I don't see Can Car anywhere, just Tree Farmer.

Now that's a skidder..!

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum BTW baron69. Parts are readily available and reasonable for the engine. I would say it is a C4, close kin to the model 15 Garrett. Almost the same thing. When Garrett sold the Treefarmer brand to CanCar, they produced some machines out of enumclaw before all treefarmer production went north.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

tantoy

Quote from: mad murdock on May 25, 2015, 04:09:51 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum BTW baron69. Parts are readily available and reasonable for the engine. I would say it is a C4, close kin to the model 15 Garrett. Almost the same thing. When Garrett sold the Treefarmer brand to CanCar, they produced some machines out of enumclaw before all treefarmer production went north.
Sorry to get off subject but a question for Mad M, do you happen to know if the 15's shared the same axle as my Garrett 20? From what I can see, I think they used the same axles and just built a larger machine with bigger tires.
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

mad murdock

Tantoy, i am not sure as i have never been around the 20. @Johnwoodworth would he the guy to pose the question to, he has or has had almost all Garrett models at some point. He is much more the guru than I. I have learnt what i know since i bought my machine in 2006 and have been able to glean a lot of info from guys like JohnW since. Also. Vannatta bros logging has a pretty informational website on the subject of rubber tired skidders and Garretts in particular.

terry f

Thanks Puffergas, I have two ATV's, one fast and one four wheel drive, and I would rather run this thing around the woods at two miles per hour any day of the week.

tantoy

Quote from: mad murdock on May 25, 2015, 09:35:20 PM
Tantoy, i am not sure as i have never been around the 20. @Johnwoodworth would he the guy to pose the question to, he has or has had almost all Garrett models at some point. He is much more the guru than I. I have learnt what i know since i bought my machine in 2006 and have been able to glean a lot of info from guys like JohnW since. Also. Vannatta bros logging has a pretty informational website on the subject of rubber tired skidders and Garretts in particular.
Thanks Mad, I know both you guys are knowledgeable in the Garretts
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

BScott

I just picked one up just like this, any update on this?

Thank You Sponsors!