iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need log loader plans

Started by Frank_Pender, February 25, 2003, 02:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_Pender

I am beginning to get the bug again to build a new piece of equipment,  I am looking for some plans for a small self-loader design to place on a short pup trailer to pull behind my F450.  I would also use the unit around the mill for smaller logs. I need something that is in the upper rnge of capacity at 4,00lbs.  IDEAS and HELP gladely accepted. :P
Frank Pender

woodmills1

here is a good picture of mine but it is probably too small here.  send me your e-mail and I will give you a full sized picture.  with your skills you can probably just cut and paste it together
:D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

dan-l-b

Hey Frank, here is a pic of the homemade Pteradactly.  Hinge the arms at the base and put some of them roll back tags or a 12V hoist an vwallla :)

Brian_Bailey

Frank,     Here is what my Hardy 1700 ST and 3200 trailer looks like.  It will reach out 17' and lift approx. 4000lbs. at 5'. It is very well built.

WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Frank_Pender

Yep!  those are the things I am looking for.  Thanks, Woodmills for the confidence youhave in me. :)  You been talking to my wife? ;D  She tells me the same thing.  Dan, I already have the trailer that is a combination tilt and off/on log bunks.  I looked at a unit at the Oregon Logging Conference last week.  Me and my money are hard to separate.  The unit I was looking at runs around $15,000 and is made in Sweden.  Ouch!  It would lift 4,000 lbs t about 8 to 10 feet.  I am putting out some feelers around this neck of the woods for an old unit or three and marry them to my needs.  I have the pwere system and oil container in hand.  I need the specs on a boom, mounting swivel system and the grapple.  The grapple may have to be purchased new, depending on my success in finding used.  Keeep the ideas floowing.  Old, retired teachers need all the help they can get. ::)
Frank Pender

J_T

Hey Frank Have Jeff run over to Iron mountain and see if they have a bargan on a usead one They have lots of them in a trader book. Seen one for 10 grand on a 40ft trayler big joker . I have a smaller one on a ln800 Ford i wish you had . I want a larger one I need to lift 30 in 16 ft oak and whole trees.
Jim Holloway

sawmill_john

Frank here is the Mobile 2003 log handling system, let me know how many you would like! ;D

john

Jeff

A "run" over to Iron Mountain is probably about a 7 hour drive. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

chet

Jeff,  When ya git to Iron Mountain give a yell, I buy ya a cup of coffee for da trip home.   ;D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frank_Pender

Thanks,John.   I have a friend down the road a piece that has a set thatis the same year but a different model.  Their hor is a bit different also. The ear are quite a bit longer.   It sounds somewhat like: "hee haw, hee haw, hee haw." 8)  My wifes family is from the Iron Mountain country, Chet.  However, I DonT believe that I can make the trip as the price of fuel is eating me alive. :'(
Frank Pender

chet

Frank, what are some of her relatives names. Are they in IM or the surounding area. I'm 45 minutes from Iron Mountain, but I work that direction very often.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frank_Pender

Chet, I just spoke with the wife and she said that the majority were from around Brainard area.  Boy oh boy have I gotten us off the subject, that I myself had started.  :-/ Oh, well,  it is all about having fun and learning at the same time. 8)   Lets see, where were we?  Oh ya, loader plans and ideas on a shoe string of cash flow and income.   ???
Frank Pender

chet

Take heart dar Frank,   :-/  yer only off by two states.  ;)

Buzz-sawyer

Hey Frank!
found this thread and wondering if you ever found what you need to build this project??....I wanna build one too found a back hoe attackment that might work.... ;D
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

shopteacher

Frank,
    You don't have to be a retired teacher to need help, I'm still looking for all the help I can get.  Good luck on the project.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Frank_Pender

Well, the thread is revived from the cutting floor of the forest.   :D  Twenty-five new hits. No I have not as yet found any plans.  I reckon I will have to design them myself  or get two of three of my students who are enigneers (various types) to help.  Perhaps I can get several of them in an classroom here on the farm and give them another lovely assignment.   :P  One group is haveing a 20 year reunion later today.  Perhaps.... ::)  I could crash the party with an assignment in hand.  :-/

I went on a tour with some state legislatures two days ago the visit the Tree Farm of the National Tree Farmer of the Year.  One of the Extension agent friends of mine asked in front of all those people if my inventiveness had slowed down or stopped since I retired, since I had not been bringing my new invents to a very popular woodlot show and demonstration, as of late?  I simply said that, "I do not have all the creative abilities of my 12 year old students to depend on any longer."  There was quite a chuckle rippling through the group.  I may just have to load a bunch of the things on a trailer and go this year. 8) 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Buzz-sawyer

Frank, I am thinking of mounting the old case backhoe arm etal. to the front of a heavy running gear used to haul liquid nitrogen out to our prarie farm fields...they already have floatation tires.....then some log bunks....also maybe use an old hydraulic ram  of a dump wagon to dump logs off side ways?!?!  what ya think?
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Ed_K

Here's a home made trailer and log loader I built.

After it was finished, I found out real fast that the 4/wheeler is too small to work in the woods. But it works for around the yard, moving cordwood and loading sawlogs on the bunk for the ez baker.
 Ed K
Ed K

dail_h

Frank,
   IF cable would work,Tom has pictures of a homemade " Big Stick" loader. I bought one today for $100,some hydraulics missing,they're not in use in this area sinc they quit buying short wood. Oh by the way,I didn't tell the wife yet
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Frank_Pender

Don, you idea has merit.  I will spend some thought with your idea.  As to the dumping sideways, you might try and find a picture of a Rhino trailer.  They use to make them so that they would bump to both sides as well as the opposite end of the tongue.  The Unimog use to do the same sort of thing.  the lift was the key to the whole thing.  It was a cycliner that had a ball and socket system and you latched or unlatched based on direction you wanted the load to dump.  

As to the backhoe system, I would sure make positive that you had good outriggers for you system.  The whole this is one of geometry, with balance.
Frank Pender

Wudman

Quote  Frank,
   IF cable would work,Tom has pictures of a homemade " Big Stick" loader. I bought one today for $100,some hydraulics missing,they're not in use in this area sinc they quit buying short wood. Oh by the way,I didn't tell the wife yet

Tom,

I've been hunting around for some pictures of a big stick loader.  Would you send them to me?  I still see an occasional truck sitting around here, but I haven't made the move to acquire one as of yet.  Thanks.

Wudman
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

Thank You Sponsors!