iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore

Started by Rick-Wi, November 20, 2002, 04:09:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick-Wi

I just picked up a couple of nice logs of sycamore. What is the best way to cut this Flat, or quarter sawn? It has a nice red center to it. Almost like the Red in boxelder, but richer and deeper color.

Thank You,
Rick-Wi

woodbeard

If you can quartersaw it, that is absolutely the best for sycamore. It has a beautiful flake figure, and if you cut it any other way, it will twist and cup like crazy unless you nail it down right away.
Good luck,
George

Mtnjack

Hey Rick sounds like found some nice trees how big are they? Am in the process of quarter sawing a bunch of those myself to big for the mill so am spliting them into halves and quarters with black powder great fun and brings the neibors running.They look awesome sawed that way some call it lace wood i have about 1500 feet cut, this wood is also spulted very nice looking wood trees were aprox 50 inch dbh. will someday post pictures of these logs good luck and dont forget to end seal.  Mtn Jack

Tom

anything left over of any size would make a bowl turner real happy too.  One of my OldTimers makes some really neat dough bowls out of it.

Thank You Sponsors!