iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 044 vs 038 Mag???

Started by ReggieT, August 28, 2016, 01:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Been on the hunt for a decent priced 044 for some while now...missed a few, passed on a few, yet a sweet 038 Mag has caught my attention.
Guy is willing to trade for my MS390, if I add about $150 difference.
Which saw would you guys prefer & do any of you have experience running both of them?

Thanks
Reg

HolmenTree

038 Mag was introduced in 1985. The 044AV with the same 72cc displacement was introduced late 1988. Basically the 044 replaced the 038 and sent it to the Farm Boss class.
044 much lighter, better ergonomics and broader powerband.
I owned both for logging.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ReggieT

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 28, 2016, 01:26:47 AM
038 Mag was introduced in 1985. The 044AV with the same 72cc displacement was introduced late 1988. Basically the 044 replaced the 038 and sent it to the Farm Boss class.
044 much lighter, better ergonomics and broader powerband.
I owned both for logging.
Much obliged...been hearing similar things all over.
Ergonomics is rather significant for me.
Hmm...decisions decisions...may hold out for an 044...especially now since he's @ $175 difference!! :-\ :-\ ??? :o
Although I am in cahoots with a ole boy who swears he can "muffler mod & port" the 038 Mag to where it will make any 044 look like it cut off in the middle of a cut!! ;) :D :o
Talk is cheap...hmm?

HolmenTree

With the right mods the 038 Mag is a different animal.
The 038 Mag is updated and sold as a MS381 in other parts of the world, just not North America.

But Stihl will be introducing a MS38? in the near future for the North American market, and from reports it will make the 044/440 look like an antique. From pictures it resembles a Husqvarna 562XP.
Looks like this is the design that the new generation of pro saws will follow.

ReggieT

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 28, 2016, 09:46:27 PM
With the right mods the 038 Mag is a different animal.
The 038 Mag is updated and sold as a MS381 in other parts of the world, just not North America.

But Stihl will be introducing a MS38? in the near future for the North American market, and from reports it will make the 044/440 look like an antique. From pictures it resembles a Husqvarna 562XP.
Looks like this is the design that the new generation of pro saws will follow.
WOW!!!! dancing-jack
Thanks for the info HolmenTree!!

Al_Smith

Either one ,038 mag or 044/440 would be a good choice .The 038 mag is my favorite of all the Stihls ever built but that is just a preference.

ReggieT

Gary Davis

they both are about the same cu in

knuckledragger

I've said it before and I will say it again. If I could have one saw and one saw only for the rest of my life that saw would be the 044. I'm not that familiar with the 038 but I have cut with the saw and it is a great saw. I prefer the 044.

HolmenTree

Yep the 044 is a very good saw even in today's standards.
Mine here is 29 years old. :)

Canadiana

Holmen, that is a handsome saw. I would be interested in learning if you kept it stock or what you've changed on it. The bar has a nice machine finished look but i am surprised to see the bar is 16" or maybe 18". You must have to lean on it hard to slow it down.lol
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

HolmenTree

Quote from: Canadiana on April 08, 2018, 08:05:46 PM
Holmen, that is a handsome saw. I would be interested in learning if you kept it stock or what you've changed on it. The bar has a nice machine finished look but i am surprised to see the bar is 16" or maybe 18". You must have to lean on it hard to slow it down.lol
That pic of my 044AV was taken about a month ago on the day I sold it to a young fellow who needs it more then me.
That's a 1989 044 completely stock nothing modified on it, even the muffler was not touched.
The new owner picked that bar/chain setup even after I offered about a dozen different bars and lengths .
Hate to see that saw go but it will come back to me for regular maintenance. 😁

Canadiana

Is it hard to watch them go?

HolmenTree

Quote from: Canadiana on April 10, 2018, 03:09:32 PM
Is it hard to watch them go?
Very much, my saws and I made a living together some long before many members on here were even born.
Through thick and thin I was good to them and they were good to me.
Every saw has it own unique soul with scars to show while enduring life.:)

Canadiana

gspren

I bought my 044 in the 90s and from then till now that saw just feels right in my hands. As I've gotten a tiny bit older I got, and started using, a 261 more often but when I cut up 16"+ oaks for firewood that old 044 still makes me smile.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

I too have learned to appreciate lighter saws for smaller jobs as I get longer in the tooth .Well actually the teeth reside in a cup at night but the thought is the same . :D

Gary Davis

I am looking at my 038 mag owners manual  038 (4.07 cu in or 66.8 cm3)
038 mag (4.40 cu in or 72.2 cm3) bought it 20 years ago guessing some of the difference is 038 mag no side  tensioner for the chain and no compression release good saw for any thing under 24 in over 24 I get the 460, always hard starting when not run for a while  splash a little mix on the air cleaner and it fires right up I like me 038 mag well enough I wont go out and buy a 440 but neither would I turn it down if some one gave it to me 

Thank You Sponsors!